Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Block
    Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 1:42pm
I still think I did ok on this chassis. Paid 650.00 good frame good springs combat wheels trans/tranf blah blah. Looked like it would be a easy fix get a body and away we go. WRONG the block is cracked behind the starter about 5 inchs long and the freeze plug was junk. The block is not bulged out like some just a crack. So I'm looking to you guys for some guidance and opinions. IE weld it, turn it into a boat anchor, use some of the products that say they can repair cracked blocks. FYI the chassis is 2a or 3a 46 til ?? Any help would be much appreciated if anyone has a block that would work I'm interested in buying or trading. I live in 16947 Zip. Thanks Steve
Steve
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 3:17pm
Please post a picture
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 3:32pm
Like what's the best brand of BBQ sauce or beer, suspect folks have opinions on this repair technique.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 3:36pm
I'm sure it could be repaired. You just need to ask around in your area, find a shop, then probably take it there and get a quote. I'd want them to check the whole block out for other cracks damage as well. Once repaired, you'll have piece of mind and to me, that's worth something. Finding some other block would be starting over. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I'm sure it could be repaired. You just need to ask around in your area, find a shop, then probably take it there and get a quote. I'd want them to check the whole block out for other cracks damage as well. Once repaired, you'll have piece of mind and to me, that's worth something. Finding some other block would be starting over. 

Well said. X2.
19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 11:45pm
My block is cracked, but I’m aiming to get it stitched because it’s original to the Jeep and my title is tied into the number on the block.
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2021 at 11:46pm
When my machine shop found a crack in my block they suggested I contact the metal instructor at the local tech college. When I called him and told him I had a 49 2A, he said, "you've got a crack in your block, don't you?"  He said he had fixed dozens of cracks. I took it to the school. He used it as a teaching unit for his welding repair class. The best part is that he didn't charge me a cent for the repair! That was 33 years ago and the weld is still holding strong.
Bruce
1949 2A
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 12:32am
where was the crack on your block?
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 4:49am
Originally posted by 19Cargo42 19Cargo42 wrote:

My block is cracked, but I’m aiming to get it stitched because it’s original to the Jeep and my title is tied into the number on the block.
Was in the exact same situation.  
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 5:33am
My block had a crack from the intake valve to the third cylinder and about half way down the cylinder wall.  They grooved it, welded it with a nickel welding rod, bored the third cylinder and sleeved it back to match the other three.  
Bruce
1949 2A
Stevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 12:50pm
Morning Jerry the crack is behind the starter, it is horizontal about 5 inchs long. The block is not bulged out and the freeze plug was rotten [rust] and had a hole in it as well. The advise so far seems to run to repair and as we all know these blocks are getting scarcer as time goes by. I have found two welders who have the skill and equipment one is certified in ductial iron welding. Again thank you all for the help and feel free to keep it coming. 
Steve

Steve
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 4:14pm

Like mentioned before have the block checked to make sure that there isn't any other cracks. Also have it pressure checked  for internal cracks.  I built up a motor just to find out that it had a crack and leaked water in the passage way of the distributor.  After changing the head gasket about three times I found that to be the reason for water in the oil.  My machinist was a little red in the face when I told him I found the problem.

Jim

I should mention that I fixed the leak by putting a sleeve in the distributor hole with JB weld.

Edited by WeeWilly - 04 Mar. 2021 at 11:41pm
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 4:52pm
If it turns out your block isn't repairable due to other cracks. I have what I think is a good block. I would want to take it to the machine shop and have it cleaned and checked for cracks before setting a price, but I would put a reasonable price on it, plus whatever the machine shop charges. 

It would cost some to ship an engine block, and it is a long drive from Troy PA to Birchwood TN, but I do make several trips to central WV each year, and could haul an engine block in the back of my truck if you need it. Where I go in WV is still a six hour drive from your location, but I thought I should offer this if you end up needing a block and can't find one locally. There is a lodge at the place, may be a little rough, but you would be welcome to camp out there if you needed to make it a two day trip, as long as you don't mind banjo and fiddle music late into the night, and aren't bothered by the smell of BBQ smoke.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 11:04pm
Heck, I don't need a block but I am up for a BBQ and live music!!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2021 at 12:26am
Well, some of us are getting a bit old, but we are still alive so it is "live music" and I am a legend in my own mind when it comes to smoking meat.

It is Old Time Appalachian string band music. I build and play banjos for this type of music, and travel up to WV to visit and play along with the likes of Dwight Diller and Ralph Roberts. Lots of Youtube videos of them out there, and even a few of me. Dwight is worth a listen if you like this kind of music.

Were a lot of folks from all over the world, who once travelled to Marlinton WV for music lessons back when Dwight was still running his camps, but he had to give most of that up a decade ago due to health issues.

If they have the Vandalia Gathering this year I will be going up there the last week of May, if they don't I may go earlier. They cancelled most of the festivals last year due to Covid-19, don't know whether they will have them this year or not, but I have gotten my Vaccine so am game to go.

Edited by Oldpappy - 05 Mar. 2021 at 12:28am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply