Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Ridge Parkway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway
    Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 12:15am
Anybody know somebody that's driven the Blue Ridge Parkway in a flatter?
Thinking it would be fun.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 1:46am
I have driven the northern section a few times . .  from northern entrance to approx Roanoke and back.

It was fun.  Smile   (one time, it was rainy and foggy,  but it was still fun to ride with a group of Willys nuts.)  

If you decide to try this,  please keep us informed,  I would like to join if possible Smile  

Edited by JeepFever - 26 Apr. 2021 at 1:50am
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 2:25am
I got riding on the parkway one day and did about 130 miles, Fancy Gap VA to a little past Stony Fork N.C.. Got down to half fuel around 65 miles and wasn’t sure how far off the parkway I needed to go to refuel, so I headed home. It’s definitely a great ride and is perfectly comfortable in a stock cj2a, with the 45mph speed limit you have very little traffic pushing you. A overdrive is really nice though, I did a little before the overdrive and the long trip with it and you can basically pull most of the hills perfectly fine in overdrive. Plan your gas stops before doing it and carry extra fuel, there are a few places you don’t have to go far off the path but you need to know where they are.

Edited by 48willys - 26 Apr. 2021 at 2:26am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2021 at 12:44am
Gentlemen,  appreciate the insights.  Being outside of Chicago getting to the Parkway will be a bit of a trip.  Sounds doable, need to get motivated.
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:15pm
I've done the BRP on a motorcycle many many years ago after college and LOVED every mile of it.

I've always wanted to get back there in a my Flat-fender as well.

It would be even better with a group of Flat-fenders!

Definitely a "Bucket List" kind of thing!
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Gentlemen,  appreciate the insights.  Being outside of Chicago getting to the Parkway will be a bit of a trip.  Sounds doable, need to get motivated.

That would be a trip, but well worthwhile. I'm in Virginia and could be up for it. BTW, where are you from? I grew up outside Chicago Smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:51pm
Let me know if you decide to do Skyline Drive. If you start at Front Royal its close for me. Big Meadows would make a nice stopping point. You could reserve a cabin and stay if others want they could return to Front Royal. Its a nice area with night time ranger talks for the campers. Also near Camp Hoover if you want to slide down the trail.
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 11:22pm
Sorry for such a late response.  I'm in a suburb north of the city about 20 miles.  Where did you grow up?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Sorry for such a late response.  I'm in a suburb north of the city about 20 miles.  Where did you grow up?

I grew up on Downers Grove, about 35 miles west of the city. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply