Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body Color, Wheel Sunset Red?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body Color, Wheel Sunset Red?
    Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:15pm
Original Color appears to be Normandy Blue as seen from the speedometer opening.  I have the speedometer but had it out for access to the dash back.  Gauges work except for fuel because now 12 volt (saw previous post by Sean that may get that going).  Do the gauges seem original?

This is my spare wheel.  Could it be an original? 
Others on the ground are tubeless stamped FOMOCO (FOrd MOtor COmpany). 

If so could this be Sunset Red?

Kind Regards,

Robin M
'48 #170747
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:42pm
Fuel guage looks original & what I can see of the temp gauge looks right, but I can't see much because of the reflection.   The ammeter and the oil pressure guage are the right style but I don't recall the typeface on the oil guage and the ammeter well enough to be confident on those.  When I get home and look at few I have, then I'll probably say they look correct also!

I do think that your spare wheel is carrying a great sample of Sunset Red.  Shine that up, and you'll have a nice speciman.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 11:32pm
The gauges look right, the oil and water having the 270 degree sweep and the fuel and amp at 90 degrees, they would originally have a black bezel. Regarding body color, I would look under the trans tunnel, it's a place that almost never gets hit on a repaint (the dash could have with the instruments removed) plus all the oil and grease seems to preserve the paint better than most places. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:18am
I seem to have the best luck finding original paint under the air cleaner brackets.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 3:43am
Is it a 48 willys?  Mine has the original gauges.  Fuel looks the same amp looks the same.  Oil is different - no red needle. The temp is completly different the needle is pivoted at the bottom  and no red lettering and numbers.  Also mine was normandy blue with the same color wheels as yours with the normandy blue pinstripe.

Edited by p3ferris - 10 May 2008 at 3:44am
Ed
cj2a lefty
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 5:18am
I believe your wheel is Harvard Red.  I have a Sunset Red which is actually a Pumpkin Orange color.  I had some good pics that were on the old computer that crashed.
 Post Reply Post Reply