Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body/frame tag info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body/frame tag info
    Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 8:55pm
I had listed general topic area that I am a new owner of a "1947" CJ2a.  however, I searched for plates and found the following:

Frame: 10020  (if it is number 20, I may rethink wheeling it!)
ACM Tub/Tailgate: 56765 
Serial Plate: 65981
Body number tag: missing

I also can't seem to find any numbers on the engine as there does not look like there is anything stamped on the water pump housing, nor is there an oval plate.  I think that the engine is out of something other than a CJ.

Is it possible that the following is true:

1) The frame was from 1945, but then sent out for a 'custom job' and then returned 56,000 units later?
2) The frame was from 1945, but the body was a donor from 1946?

Any insight or speculation is appreciated.
"If the women don't find you handsome, then they should at least find you handy" -RedGreen
2ndgearhero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 9:29pm
found out how to post picutes, so here they are; don't quite understand why they all came out upside down:

"If the women don't find you handsome, then they should at least find you handy" -RedGreen
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2023 at 10:38pm
The serial plate on fire wall was not originally fastened with rivets, therefore I think it is safe to assume it has been removed and maybe replaced… Perhaps to get a title? 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 1:50am
I would definitely skip wheeling it! That frame tag identifies it as a 1945 and not 47! You are correct on that! Does that have the tool indents on the driver's side? If that is the original tub it needs to be restored! That is one of the earliest jeeps manufactured! The tub tag says it is 65981 which would make the tub 1946. You're correct on that too. But, it may still have the indents.
With the frame being so early, that's what I would go for in restoring it!
I'm gonna guess there will be many more hoping in here on this one!

Edited by SlaterDoc - 12 Jan. 2023 at 1:53am
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 6:10am
It looks like you have some mixed parts.  Frame - yup - you have an early CJ2A. Body-the 65xxx ACM number is likely later 1946.  Look at the transmission to see if it has evidence of being an early column shift.  And look at the intermediate shaft of the transfer case.  Is it 3/4" or 1-1/8"?

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 6:51am
Lol... wheel it if you want to, but I think the majority here will say you now have a rsearch project to determine how much of 10020 is still there.  If you have what you need to get it titled as 10020 I definitely would.

The engine could have been decked and the ESN lost.  Look for the casting number low on the right side (passengers), and when you get around to dropping the oil pan look for a machining date stamped on the block near the rear main bearing cap

The trans will usually have a date code stamped on top under the cover if column shifted, and under the cane shift if not... six bolts and a gasket to find out Wink

The acm number on the toeboard gusset means the tup is not likely original, see if there is an ACM on the passengers side edge of the tailgate

Upside down or not, more pics of the overall would help us help you Clap

So far an interesting salad -
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 7:29am
post pictures of the frame, on the inside of both rails, directly above or over the rear axle....

you may have the remains of 1945 CJ2A #10020 (20th civilian jeep made)

picture of the rear axle (is it a full floater?)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 9:18am
thank you all for the responses; what is the tool marks I should be looking for?  I will probably google the term and see what comes up.

Plan is to remove the tub so I have better access to all of the components mentioned above and in another part of the forum; the engine may be from a Jeepster which would explain the carb situation.

If she really turns out to be mostly #20, then the most I would "wheel" it would be a bumpy dirt road!
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:53am
Things to look for, including tool indents. 

Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 11:15am
thank you sir!  I'll go snooping tonight
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 8:25pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:24pm
strange, sometimes it posts upside down and other times right side up!

From my snooping, I have found the following:

rear axle is a Dana 41, hubs and diff cover are bang on, you also might see the frame above the rear axle in the shot:

The front axle has the steering arm incorporated with the knuckle:

There is undrilled side bosses in the transmission:

the muffler, although gone when I bought the jeep, has attachment points on the passenger side of the frame and doesn't look like it extends futher.

The remainder of the body fits with the Stamped number of 65981; all of the markers are there like the parking lights in the grill, the hardware for the windshield, etc.  Did not find evidence of a column shift nor of the tool indents either.

The frame is old but everything on it is newer... very strange to me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 11:21pm
Again, everything on the body makes me think 1946 wihtout a column shift; I did notice that the starter switch is above the brake pedal on the firewall; typically I see the starter closer to the trans tunnel, is this normal?

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 12:02am
Originally posted by 2ndgearhero 2ndgearhero wrote:

strange, sometimes it posts upside down and other times right side up!

Are you holding the camera/phone the same way every time?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 12:13am
  I see a new “S” line and a new brake bleeder. 👍🏻
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 8:43am
It doesnt matter how I am holding my phone, but I did find that if after I put the pictures on my computer and then turn them upside down that tbeh they are ok
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 8:55am
Is that an Overdrive hanging off the back of your transfer case?
On the frame, above the rear axle.... on the inner walls of the frame you will see the frame is boxed in that area.  Is the inner panel of the frame a solid cover?  Or is there a hole (about 2" diameter) in the area above the rear axle?

Where in CT?

Edited by Tom in RI - 13 Jan. 2023 at 9:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 9:01am
It is indeed, dont know if its factory or not however.  I'm just outside of Derby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>