Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body mounting pads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body mounting pads
    Posted: 30 June 2007 at 4:03pm
I happened to have a few old "road kill" semi mud-flaps [don't even ask why I pick up stuff like that--my wife doesn't even know!]  It is/was a perfect duplicate of the rubber cord plyed stuff my originals were made of, which resembled old bias ply sidewalls.

On my table saw I was able to cut thru the stuff using multiple passes 1/16 to 1/8 at a time, and come up with the proper [using my old ones as a pattern] sized cord plyed rubber stock 1 1/2" by 3".  I marked the middles, then drilled 1/2 or so holes thru them, using a sharp spade style wood bit, which cut away the rubber and cord without tearing, burning, or grabbing.

You have to drill these one at a time or friction will give you a "black melt" for lunch and not return a drill bit in good shape.

I was even able to downside the 3/8" stock to make a couple of 1/4" thick pads I found I needed up front.  I don't think I could be successful making a 1/8 one, however--too thin to keep in control.  On mine I used the originals, which were in good shape.  If I put my mind to it, I suppose I could come up with something to use--Maybe a couple of thicknesses of a roofing shingle if you can find some without the "rocks" on it.  Maybe some pieces of old inner tube.  Maybe some pieces of roofing rubber membrane.  Maybe some hardware store rubber bushings.  Cut one out of your old boy scout web belt dip it it roofing tar and install it.  Dont forget to wash up afterwards.

Edited by dclear - 30 June 2007 at 4:05pm
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
(Name Blocked) View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (Name Blocked) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2007 at 6:29pm
That sound very interesting.
lockdowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockdowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2007 at 8:56pm
Hey Del, try a 1/2" hole saw. Take out the arbour bit and use a press. This works best with a jig at slow speed. Dishwater spritz may help keep the heat down. Never tried it, seems like an idea though. Good luck!
Hey, what's this do?
 Post Reply Post Reply