Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body mounts
    Posted: 27 Dec. 2014 at 7:04pm
Getting ready to mount my tub onto my frame. I searched body mounts, but was unable to find any diagrams on numbered location, mount thickness, bolt type, etc. Is there such a diagram.I found a post on numbered location but no diagram to reference them to.
Thanks
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2014 at 7:19pm
Search under body bolts or similar and you will find a good link, as far as the shims go mine vary from 1/4" at the very back to slightly thicker towards the front.

My body is a repro so that many explain the variation, but just put in what it needs to get the body to sit true.

The best way I found was to fit the grill and fenders as this will keep it all straight....ie: if the shims under the front of the tub are too thin then the fender to tub bolt up point will be a real fight.....you can end up with a Jeep that looks like its broken in the middle.

The advantage of heavier shims at the front also has the effect of tilting the steering column forward and gives you more room behind the steering wheel.

I did look at a badly restored MB here a few months ago and I am not sure what went wrong but the steering wheel was very close to the seat, I think they had saved the firewall and fabricated a new tub but where they joined them it was done badly.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2014 at 9:20pm
Thanks Adrian I was thinking that I should mount the fenders, tub and grill together to achieve proper alignment.  I will take your advice and shim as necessary. I will post more photos in the Your jeep project section (46 2a #81509)
Thanks, 
Phil
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 1:53am
Fitting the tub to the frame is a lot of fun.  At this point you are well on your way to completion and seeing the end result is very rewarding.  Keep everything a little loose until you get things fitting properly - it is not that hard.  If I recall I used pre-made mounting pads from one of the usual reliable suppliers.  It was about ten years ago but I remeber it well - don't forget welting

Jeff
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 3:11am
Here's the bolt diagram.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 4:12am
There's another link somewhere, it shows the bottom view of the tub, with a key as to what bolt, diameter, length and thread goes where......I printed it off a few years ago, but don't know where to find it now.

It was very helpful when I bolted my one down, I used a 1/2 nut to lock the main nut, because everything goes through rubber its not possible to do it up too tight, also used a few cone nuts....nylocs would look out of place but the cone nuts look ok....

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 7:33am
I read a post about a key or diagram , but couldn't find it like the link was removed. I will look some more tomorrow. Thanks Adrian.
Phil
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 3:45pm
http://www.cj-2a.com/parts/Body/tub/body_bolts-1l.jpg
BOULDER 48 2A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 3:49pm
Note: In the above photo, 3a fits a captive nut (from bottom up) welded inside the hat channel so there is no bolt head under the fuel tank.
#5 step bolts are available special order from Fastenal and others.

< max="1" id="pageNumber" ="toolbarField pageNumber" value="1" size="4" min="1" ="15" ="number">

Edited by TERRY - 28 Dec. 2014 at 3:55pm
BOULDER 48 2A
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 4:19pm
Thank You for the diagram. It will be very helpful. !946 cj2a
Phil
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 4:32pm
Another question, The #1 bolts that are in shear, will they take a rubber pad. I assume they would, but when buying a rubber mount kit quantity was 12 ? Also does the grill/ fenders get any pads.
Thanks again,
Phil
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 7:50pm
Also there is a bolt on each side of the floor that does not anchor to the frame, but supports the hat channel as it exits from under the tub to support the "step".
BOULDER 48 2A
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 3:43am
Originally posted by a4cj2a77 a4cj2a77 wrote:

Another question, The #1 bolts that are in shear, will they take a rubber pad. I assume they would, but when buying a rubber mount kit quantity was 12 ? Also does the grill/ fenders get any pads.
Thanks again,
Phil

Hey guys, anybody with the answer to this query?
Max
CJ2A 110861
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 4:31am
Max, no rubber in this location as far as I am aware. Although some of the thin anti-squeak webbing may not be a bad idea.

My fender mounting kit came with some 1" wide bitumen soaked webbing and a small piece of it would be ideal.

Hope this helps...

Adrian
NZ
1973 Saab 96
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2018 at 5:06am
I t would be interesting to meet you. A friend worked over there on a big project and a roommate would pick him up at the airport. Mark came in later and another roommate picked him up and informed him that he would never see the other guy. Mark sort of wondered how they made it through checkpoints so easily. The guy was smuggling diamonds and had all of the guards bribed.
uncamonkey
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 2:27pm
Thanks and good luck in Japan.
Max
CJ2A 110861
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:16am
If you dig long enough in The CJ2A Page, you can find the answer to about everything!

I was trying to figure out if the body mount bolt, which I'm getting ready to replace -  which has the head right in the floor of the driver's floor board (I'm replacing that sheetmetal) - is properly a normal hex head or a carriage bolt. It's apparently a hex head sticking up in there.

Edited by Vintage Don - 15 May 2021 at 10:44am
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Also there is a bolt on each side of the floor that does not anchor to the frame, but supports the hat channel as it exits from under the tub to support the "step".

I don't see this location in the picture in this thread, or on my tub.  The hat channel runs under the step and the only bolt loaction in that area goes to the brackets on the outside of the frame.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>