Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body to frame insulators???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body to frame insulators???
    Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:26pm
Question....what would be the best body insulators, to use for remounting body to frame? Rather than just use some grain belting, I think I'd like something about an 1" thick. Any problems going that thick?

Thanks.....John/Sourkraut
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:09pm
You will have to make some adjustments to everything that is attached to the drive train and penetrates the tub.  You will also have to move the grill and fenders up to match the tub.  Which means the radiator will need to be raised...which might cause issues with the engine fan and the radiator shroud.

Hockey pucks have been used before.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 2:24pm
You might be better off using Polyurethane in 1/4" to 7/16" thickness like these sold by Summit Racing if you don't want to go with the stock style.

I am using the 7/16" version and don't for see any real problems, BUT I am going to be running an electric fan and slightly changed how my fenders mount to the frame. I am now going with a single bolt instead of the pair originally.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
sourkraut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 3:49pm
Thanks for replies. I'm not going for total restoration. I'm going for get the ole jeep running and driving....again. I'm now 72 and I'd just like to be able to drive it again....sooner rather than later.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by sourkraut sourkraut wrote:

Thanks for replies. I'm not going for total restoration. I'm going for get the ole jeep running and driving....again. I'm now 72 and I'd just like to be able to drive it again....sooner rather than later.

If this is the case, I see no reason to change from the standard tub mounts.  It can cause more trouble than it's worth.  I cut up side walls on old bias ply tires.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:19pm
Go to your local boat supply place (Wally World may have them) and buy you a standard black boat roller used on trailers. They come in different lengths....a 10" or 12" will be plenty.

Then just bandsaw it to whatever you want just like slicing sausage.

Pretty cheap and very easy to get just the size you want.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:42am
If you use too thick a material, you will need to do something about the holes where the clutch and brake pedals come through the floor.  You will need to do something about where the front fenders attach to the frame, both the hat channel braces and at the back under the toe board gussets.  None of those holes will line up with thicker material.  Tire sidewall may be your best option.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:51am
I used the boat dock bumpers for my '48. They already have a pretty, round hole, slice away on a bandsaw, keep them sorta thin, maybe 3/8", and I was able to wrangle the fenders and grill in the right holes.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:16am
Tire sidewall is maybe 1/4" thick, so I can see 3/8" working without too much trouble. 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:20am
like Mark, I used the 7/16 urethane pads. Work great! But the will require some adjustments. The biggest being the gender braces that bolt to the frame. You’ll need to section and lengthen those. Beyond that - the pedal holes still lined up fine.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
clayvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:40pm
if you’re neededing about an inch lift, hockey pucks work great. 
I had to use them on mine as I discovered with the late 90’s MD Juan tub it was too short and rocked on the transmission. I had to raise it up and hockey pucks did the trick. 
sourkraut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourkraut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:32pm
Thank you all. Great ideas. Boat trailer rollers sound best. Think I'll abandon the idea of going an 1" thick. Don't need to create anymore problems.

History.....Years ago (8 +/-) my son got hung up on a stump, while playing in the river bottoms. A friend of his tried RAMMING it off the stump, with his Cherokee. He hit the tow bar so hard it broke the frame channels at the shock mounts. Well, that was it!. After many years (1976) of making changes to the orginal frame...ie....hot rod Buick V-6 w/Muncie 4spd....etc, I decided to upgrade the frame and put it all back to original. I am converting to 12V, but that's all.

So, several years ago I bought a pristine 3A frame, but still didn't do anything but set body on it. Last year I gave up Long Distance Mcy riding, due to health issues, and started to put it all back together.

I "thought" I could do it for a "minimum" of $500.00. Considering all the parts I had laying around. Well, to say the least I've blown way past that figure, and I'm now well into the next bracket. But I "think" the end may be in sight...I think.

So, to end this, Thank you all, for you advice. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice.

John/Sourkraut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:43am
I'm using CJ-5 urethane body spacers.  They're close to 3/4" thick.  I should have cut them in half, I think.  I have foregone using the fender frame mounts.  Driver's side was rusted off anyway.  Fender haven't fallen off....... yet....
 Post Reply Post Reply