Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body tubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body tubs
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 10:45am
has anyone purchased one of the replacement body tubs? What do you think about them, an does it effect sale price? it is for a 47 cj2a.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 12:21pm
search MDJuan there should be a lot of discussion on replacement tubs here on the 2Apage 
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 2:39pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 2:41pm
What Art said.

Either google "MDJuan" here using the "Advanced Search" button, or Google "MDJuan, thecj2page". The regular search on this page is worthless except it gets you to the "Advanced Search" button.

I could link to the thread, but then you do not learn how to find threads on here.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 3:40pm
I have a MD Juan Willys MB tub for one of my projects and it isn't bad, and up until recently these were the best option we had, but not anymore.

I have heard the MDJ CJ2A tubs are not as good as the military MB tub I have, but I haven't used one.

The SGI tubs ggordon49 provided a link for are, from all reports, better than the MDJ tubs. Peter Debella is the US dealer for SGI.

The SGI bodies cost a little more than MDJ but probably worth it. I am considering one for my 47 CJ2A. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 5:18pm
I got one three years ago, best idea I had in a long time.  The body shop guy told me you will chase rust on the old tub all the time.  This way it has never seen salt, only fresh snow by a tree in my yard, all that other carp one has to combat on an oil tub. 

I still have the old tub setting inside my shop for just that one day I am really looking for something to do but that day has not come yet.  Maybe it will soon......I just put in retirement papers today!Smile
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 7:19pm
My tub was a MD Juan tub.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 7:24pm
So is Ol'Red. MD Juan wasn't that bad. Much better than the beat up tub she had on her before. I would have never got her straightened out.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 8:46pm
I have a MDJ full body, minus the grill. Compared to the alternative  (fixing my super rusty original), it's great.  Don't think they're totally a bolt on proposition because they're not.  You'll have to do do some minor adjusting and trimming to make any reproduction body fit on an abused 70-plus yr old frame.   
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 9:03pm
 The repo tubs have gotten better  over the years.  The one I bought back in the mid 70's required a lot of adjusting. The body looked like a M38 and the grill looked like a MB, had to make the head light holes to fit the larger CJ3A  head light buckets. But at the time I was glad to be able to get anything that I could make work.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 9:57pm
If you do get the MDJ tub you will want to remove the black "primer" as it is really just a coating for shipping and doesn't adhere real well. It comes off pretty easy, but you may need to do some sand blasting in the corners.

I prefer using an epoxy primer over the bare metal but you have to shoot the paint within 72 hours after spraying the primer or you will have to scuff it all over for good adhesion. 
merle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 11:30pm
thanks for all your replies
DesertDog48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertDog48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 12:08am
I got a MD Juan from Willys Overland for my 2a back in March 2020. They changed the primer and it's much better. Couldn't get it to come off even with lacquer thinner. I cleaned it good,pre-fitted it, removed it,scuffed it up, cleaned it again, epoxy primered it and painted it. Very happy with it. ( Did have to do some reworking to get the front fenders fitted)
48 CJ2A
83 CJ7 Lerado
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 1:04pm
Any feedback on the SGI tubs that are being imported now from India?  The military jeep guys are claiming better fit and accuracy as compared to the MDJ. 

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 4:52pm
The SGI tubs were available in Europe for a good while before Debella landed a dealership for them here. 

Most of the feedback I have seen was on the "G" forum and was about the military GPW/MB bodies which are said to be very good. I keep hoping someone who has tried one of the CJ2A tubs will give a report on them, but they sure look good.
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:52pm
I have an SGI body ordered through Peter for my CJ2A.  Unfortunately, the COVID crisis in India has them totally shut down.  I got a message from them through their Facebook page saying they anticipate being shut down through at least May 31st.

In researching this I heard from many sources, local and in other states that they are a very high quality body.

The one I ordered will come without primer because after talking to Peter (and he says people go both ways on this) we don't know what they are using for primer, and it usually needs to be touched up anyway after shipping.

I will document the for the group, from taking it out of the crate, to test-fitting, paint, and final installation.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:11pm
Jason, Thanks in advance for documenting the story on the tub. I am looking forward to that.
CubeTube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubeTube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:39pm
After much debate, I pulled the trigger and purchased a Repli-Tub from Willys-Overland Motors.  Jay at WOM takes MDJuan tubs and "fixes" them... aligns body lines, correctly drills holes for steering and pedals, and makes them a direct bolt on tub.  I have about another two weeks before mine ships and is delivered via freight liftgate to my driveway.  Time -vs- Money is the deciding factor... I did not want to spend the next year fixing my tub, seeing every panel needed attention.
48' 2A
Fort Myers, Florida
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>