Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boosted Willys - F134 Engine Swap with a twist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 12:46am
Is there any reason to not use the EFI from a 4-cyl YJ?  Other than that it might be hard to find....
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Is there any reason to not use the EFI from a 4-cyl YJ?  Other than that it might be hard to find....

No reason that couldn’t be made to work. The sky is the limit really, but I’d prefer to stick with a bolt in option, so I don’t have to change any of the drivetrain, mounts, exhaust, or cooling system. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 3:13am
I know that '89 and '90 YJs with the 4-cylinder had TBI systems.  Possibly earlier ones had the system too; I'm just wondering if the TBI could be used with the F-head (or the Go-Devil, for that matter).
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I know that '89 and '90 YJs with the 4-cylinder had TBI systems.  Possibly earlier ones had the system too; I'm just wondering if the TBI could be used with the F-head (or the Go-Devil, for that matter).

It could be adapted, but it would be a lot more extensive than a TBI setup since the Jeep 2.5L (which is essentially a shortened 4.0L) uses a multi-port injection. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 9:40pm
The Jeep 2.5L had multi-port systems from '91 on.  They had TBI for '89 and '90, according to the Jeep Book sales brochure for those years.  
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 9:51pm
Chevy will be the easiest route since much of the mega squirt community uses that architecture in sensors and throttle bodies.
This is an area where it's best to not get hung up on the name on the side of the donor vehicle. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 10:27pm
Yes, there is a huge advantage in practicality there.  I'm just kind of idly wondering about other options.  If Ol' Unreliable weren't still a 6-volt beast I'd be looking at some kind of fuel injection for it.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2019 at 5:46pm
I just love wandering through Pick-n-Pull recycle yards to find Salvage Treasures.

Good score on the harness and stuff.   keep up the ambition.
and Happy Holidays too.

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 13 Jan. 2020 at 6:00pm
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 3:01pm
I’ve been busy working on my wiring diagram and collecting parts.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2019 at 4:36pm
Here's some more information on the parts I used and where I sourced them

The work I've done on the wiring diagram. The previously posted one was a full diagram. I was able to strip it down to only the wires I need for the features I'm going to use in the system. Since Microsquirt is only configured to control a simple on/off style idle valve, I will have to change the what's labeled the fast idle valve once I get the controller that will all me to use the stepper motor style IAC valve that's integral to the TBI unit i'm using.

Since the system does require a few fuses and relays that aren't existent in the current wiring on the Jeep, I was able to find a simple 80amp, 6 circuit fuse box and relay setup off eBay that I plan to use. One relay will power the fuel pump and the other the ECU. As mentioned in the video, I'm currently planning to make up a panel in the original air cleaner location to mount everything. 

Source for the Micro squirt - http://www.diyautotune.com/

Electrical component vendor - http://www.ebay.com/str/12voltconnection

Edited by unclemoak - 21 Dec. 2019 at 6:14pm
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 6:09pm
More parts have been trickling in. Over Christmas break I got this stuff:

• Bonnet casting for the TBI (was used in industrial 2.5L propane applications)
  • Wide band 02 sensor
  • MAF sensor
  • MAF sensor bung
  • 2 Bar MAP sensor
  • 02 bungs 
  • Fuel pressure regulator 
  • Idle air controller adapter 

I’ve been doing some reading on fuel injector impedance and found that because my single tbi injector has low resistance injector (1.5-1.6 ohms) I’ll need to add an inline resistor to limit the amp draw to 2 amps. Not a huge deal, but something that needs done so the driver on the Microsquirt board doesn’t burn out. 

The other thing is supercharge cam profile theory. Through some intense google wormholes, I found an article that seemed to break down the submit to a relatively simple manner. 

As fate would hate it, Howard cams is in the same town as me, so I paid them a visit to see what they thought on my project. While they do have a good bit of experience with forced induction cams, they don’t have capacity at the moment for custom cam grinds. They passed me on to a Steve Demos in Georgia to see what he might be able to do. After a lengthy phone call to Steve, it sounds like he’ll be able to weld up and modify a factory cam to give it a little better lobe separation and exhaust duration to get things flowing better. 

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 5:28am
Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

As fate would hate it, Howard cams is in the same town as me, so I paid them a visit to see what they thought on my project. While they do have a good bit of experience with forced induction cams, they don’t have capacity at the moment for custom cam grinds. They passed me on to a Steve Demos in Georgia to see what he might be able to do. After a lengthy phone call to Steve, it sounds like he’ll be able to weld up and modify a factory cam to give it a little better lobe separation and exhaust duration to get things flowing better. 

This is next level dedication. I'm excited to see what you come up with. A lumpy cam F head would be wicked. Did you see the guy on Facebook who made his own aluminum head, and was revving the engine to the moon?
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

This is next level dedication. I'm excited to see what you come up with. A lumpy cam F head would be wicked. Did you see the guy on Facebook who made his own aluminum head, and was revving the engine to the moon?

I think it’s interesting to try to squeeze some more power out of it. The main thing with a supercharged cam is the separation in the lobes between the intake and exhaust lobes to make them open further apart. 

I have been talking to that guy actually. He’s engine setup is nuts. He’s pushing like ~150hp and 8,000 rpm 

Him and I have mainly need talking about setting up a head with roller rockers since the stamped steel ones are a weak point in the factory valve train. I think with a bolt in mounting plate, big block Chevy rockers would be made to work and increase the rocker ratio from 1.3 to 1.7 and give a bit more lift out of the intake side. I’ll have to see what can be done to the duration of the exhaust side to get that to flow a little better. 

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:54pm
Dave,
Your build is very interesting and amazing. I can't do anything that is not "bolt on" and that includes specific instructions. 
That having been said, I know you like the trails. Is this thing going to be able to hunker down and go low and slow? Or is it going to need to be screaming all the time?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Dave,
Your build is very interesting and amazing. I can't do anything that is not "bolt on" and that includes specific instructions. 
That having been said, I know you like the trails. Is this thing going to be able to hunker down and go low and slow? Or is it going to need to be screaming all the time?

Haha well all this stuff “bolts on” it just doesn’t come with a clear set of instructions. That’s were my process engineering degree comes in handy to figure that part out. I’ve spent entire days reading about simple things like fuel injectors to figure out how to make them work and just being a naturally curious person. 

But you do pose a good question about the power curve. These L head or F head engines are what’s referred to as under-square meaning that the stroke (4.375”) is larger than the piston diameter (3.125” @ standard bore). 

Historically, this arrangement makes good low end torque as seen here on a power curve on a stock engine. 

Horse power in white
Torque in orange 

My intention would be to keep the curve relatively the same shape, just increase the power output. I actually mainly street drive my Jeep, so I’ll likely regear the axles to 4.88 ratio to give me better top end, but still want modest power down low to make it work well off-road. I think my goal is a modest 100-100hp overall.

Edited by unclemoak - 09 Jan. 2020 at 4:22pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 4:43pm
Pictures that move are good. 
I have a friend (jpet) that does crazy stuff just to learn things so I sort of understand that. I do like to learn stuff, but am basically very lazy. I also think that Rube Goldberg machines are really cool and fun to watch but in the end they don't do anything useful except entertain me and the builder. I'm not saying that you are building a Rube Goldberg machine, just wondering what  you are going to have when you are done with the doing crazy stuff to learn things part of the exercise. 
I love it and think it is very cool and beyond my meager skill set. 
In the meantime, I am going to take my stock L134 and go climb something. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 6:36pm
Nowdays small gas engines are really "peaky" with no low end torque and all of the power at high rpm.  The exception to that is small gas engines with turbos, like the Ford Eco-Boost.  Engines like that have a much broader power band, with much more low-end torque than typical small gas engines now have.

That's not to say that sticking a turbo on automatically turns a screamer into a stump-puller.  But it does show that forced induction can really help low end.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 7:08pm
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>