Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boosted Willys - F134 Engine Swap with a twist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 7:10pm
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by bkwudz bkwudz wrote:

Smile

You’re pictures and project info are what started me down this path. 

Do you happen to know which fuel line is the supply and which is the return?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 1:24am
Line closer to the valve cover is the supply
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2020 at 9:26pm
Here are some pictures of the TBI bonnet casting that I managed to find while randomly browsing eBay. Per the description, it was made for industrial applications of the GM 2.5L Iron Duke (the host engine I got the TBI unit off of) to use for propane injection.

It'll take some finish machining, but should make a nice compact packaged to get the TBI to clear the hood and contain the pressurized intake air from the super charger.

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 6:14pm
It is always very gratifying when we can put a dream into reality.

And I liked the note where that one guy was twisting his F-head to 8k rpms.
8k rpms is nothing for an overhead cam Honda 4-banger. Anymore the little 4-cyl engines of today are capable of high rpms use.

As I wander through Pick-n-Pull recycler yards there are likely EFI Donor's everywhere we look. But most of the throttle body units are pre-multi port, and '90's vintage mostly.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 7:51pm
There is a guy here locally that is not on the internet but comes to the spring reunion who has an fhead putting out 125 HP. He made a lot of his own stuff for it too.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

There is a guy here locally that is not on the internet but comes to the spring reunion who has an fhead putting out 125 HP. He made a lot of his own stuff for it too.

Do you have his contact information? I’d love to give him a call and pick his brain. 
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2020 at 3:43am
I am a bit concerned that bonnet casting looks restrictive. your forcing air to make a 90 up and over the tbi in a tight enclosure. A larger plenum might be in order.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 3:46am

Some bad news is that I found someone else with an F head in there low hood, and it seems they only have 4" of hood clearance, which differs from from the 5.5" that I had read somewhere else.

The good news is I did score another free F134 that turns over.

I've also been doing some research on some customer rocker arms. I've heard that the few people that have experimented with using an L134 cam (to get more intake lift) have ended up breaking there rocker arms. So to try to curb this, I'm looking into having a custom set up rocker arms made after reading this article.

So I'll be curious to see what T&D Machine has to say and if they're willing to take on the project. 

T&D Machine - http://tdmach.com/

Here are some stock F134 valve train parts that I had to rob off one of the junk engines I have for another M38A1 I'm working on.

Here's what they look like installed on the head.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 5:37am
Ive measured a F head in a low hood for clearance and the 5.5" sounds about right. Have you actually checked your clearance or just going off what you read?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Ive measured a F head in a low hood for clearance and the 5.5" sounds about right. Have you actually checked your clearance or just going off what you read?

I have no means to measure it myself without actually putting one of my spare engines in to get a measurement. 

This thread is where I read the 5.5-6” measurement. 

Edited by unclemoak - 28 Jan. 2020 at 2:06pm
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 3:57pm
T&D machine got back to me already. 

Sounds like they can make me a set of rockers, just have to supply them a head with the valve train. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:02am
Little slow on the updates. Been really busy with work and my machine shop. 

A few updates:

1. Building up a carbed engine for summer fun while I work on the EFI/boosted engine.
  • trying to figure out how to make a low probile Holley 1904 carb work. I've seen various ways to go about this, but I think trimming the carb horn a bit will make it fit.
  • ordered a brand new cam to send off to Clifford Performance to have ground.
  • Have a petronix for the distributor to get rid of the points.

2. Have a lead on getting roller rockers made 

3. Decided to build an engine run stand to dial in these engines prior to putting them in the jeep to save some hassle of taking it in and out and making everything easily accessible. 

4. Got my converted distributor back from Hamiliton with the V/R sensor in it. 

5. I've been looking at valve seals. Seems while browsing Summit racing, I found these:

They appear to work with the stock 0.373" valve stems and the 0.625 valve guides. So I might be in luck that these will work fine without modification to the head or valves.

Edited by unclemoak - 10 Apr. 2020 at 4:12am
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2020 at 9:24pm
Very interested in this.  I'd been doing a small amount of research into doing something similar with the L134.  Rotrex ( https://www.rotrex.com/) makes a line of very small & compact centrifugal superchargers that would be excellent for this application.  

Not cheap though.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of $2K.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 3:48am
Sounds like you're sealing the intake valve guides and stems on the head. I'm interested to see what you find for the exhaust. 
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

Sounds like you're sealing the intake valve guides and stems on the head. I'm interested to see what you find for the exhaust. 

The OD of the guides is just a hair too big. I'll have to find some new ones to turn down.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 6:25pm
Just got off the phone with Clifford Performance. Ordered a header, and they are going to grind a cam for me. 

Larry suggested that a Weber 32/36 might be a good option to unleash some power in these, but I have some concerns with it fitting under the low hood. Some light googling didn't yield any height dimensions, so I'll have to look more later.
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

The OD of the guides is just a hair too big. I'll have to find some new ones to turn down.

Depending on the size of the seal & valve guide, you can buy a cutter to turn the guides down.  Here's a link to some options:

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>