Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a car hauler today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a car hauler today
    Posted: 02 June 2018 at 12:10am
After a lot of searching, I bought a 7x16' tandem axle leonard flatbed to haul the jeep or model T. It has electric brakes on one axle. Its a good size to haul behind my F150 with small V8. I'll pick it up next week. I've ordered stake pocket tie down inserts, 3300lb axle straps and matching swivel hook ratchet straps. So it should be well secured. 

I'm looking for advice and tips for loading and hauling the jeep. I know there should be 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. But what's the best way to judge that? I'm thinking putting the jeep's bellhousing over the front axle may get me in the ballpark. Your thoughts?

I intend to secure it by the axles at the spring plates and cross the straps to the opposit sides. Then maybe a strap straight forward and another straight back.

So I'm looking for advice so I don't screw something up. Wink

It looks like this one.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 12:53am
Congrats on a new trailer. When i hauled with a light truck, I wanted about 400 pounds of tongue weight which I measured in how much drop on the tail of the truck. For me it was about 2 inches. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 1:11am
Looks nice!
Might spring for the Anti-BMW protection before you pick it up.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:18am
Nice looking trailer. 

Cross straps to the axle are a good plan. I've hauled I can't even count how many miles that way without issue. I'd say your center strap is overkill. But it also can't hurt anything. 

I typically start out by lining up the front of the rear tire with the leading edge of the trailer fender. This gets you in the ball park of weight distribution. Measure your tongue height before loading the Jeep, then after. Ideally you want the truck to look pretty level with weight on it. 

Take it for a ride and see how it feels. Adjust the jeep's position accordingly. Once you find that sweet spot, mark the trailer. I screwed a wood chock to the deck once I was happy with the position. Then after that, a blind man could position the weight well. 

Good luck! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 11:19am
Thanks guys. I will do some short test runs to find the sweet spot. I'm looking forward to being able to take it out to the mountains, trails and gatherings.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 12:11pm
We just bought the 12 foot version of that trailer, probably from the same place.  Love it so far. My son has it right now, along with two of my other toys!  Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Rick Estes
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 7:17pm
Load it and make your truck squat 1-2” and you should be fine. Regardless of age I always suggest carry a spare loaded idler hub with spindle nut, washer, cotter pin and cap. Along with a shackle set, equalizer, leaf spring, 2 hanger bolts, and a u-bolt set with a u-bolt plate. All are easily replaced and can ruin a trip in a hurry.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:11pm
Brought the new jeep hauler home today. Now to get it set up. I got the tongue storage box mounted. I got them to throw in a new spare tire for free, but I need to figure out where to mount it.  There are 4 stake pockets and I got the stake pocket anchor point inserts for them. Got the axle straps and good, heavy ratchet straps with snap hooks on the ends. I think it will do well to carry the jeep or the Ford model T.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2018 at 10:20pm
After several years I put brakes on the front axle.  It made a noticeable difference in stopping distance.  Now would be the time to have them put on if you are not up to doing it your self. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 3:07pm
[QUOTE=64CJ5]After several years I put brakes on the front axle.  It made a noticeable difference in stopping distance.  Now would be the time to have them put on if you are not up to doing it your self. 
[/QUOTE

In Colorado brakes are required on all axles.
BOULDER 48 2A
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

In Colorado brakes are required on all axles.

For what it's worth, in Minnesota trailers over 3000 lbs (or that weigh more than the tow vehicle) are required to have brakes that are "adequate to stop and hold the trailer whenever it becomes detached from the towing vehicle."  Minnesota at least doesn't require brakes on all axles (but I know other states do, so it's something I personally would make sure my trailers had).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 6:50pm
This one has brakes on the rear axle and a breakaway system that is required by Virginia.  If the trailer becomes detached, the brakes automatically apply on the trailer.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 5:03pm
Nice trailer, you won't know what you did without it in no time!
Get yourself some 4 good axle straps and tie down straps.
I've used these from summit racing for years, they are a great price and excellent quality!
Ratchet straps:
Axle straps:

Or a nice kit with a bag:

I'd get at least 4 Heavy D rings welded on.  Two front and two rear, Around 4' apart ( set your jeep on there and line them up with the inside of the drums).
Axle straps around front and rear axle, easy hook, ratchet down and go. (note" on rear Jeep axle go around the very end where the brake lines are out of the way)  don't forget to tie back your extra tail from the strap.   I've hauled Jeeps etc. like this for many years and thousands of miles.  Keep your Straps dry and out of the sun when not used and they last for a very long time. 

Edited by windyhill - 08 June 2018 at 5:08pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:47pm
I finally have the trailer ready to go. Spare tire mounted, wood treated with Thompsons, storage box on tongue and tie downs installed. Between being out of town, and the endless rain, its been hard to get things done. But today I finished the tie down D-rings. Installed with grade 8 carriage bolts and welded in place. I'm thinking of adding a worm gear winch, hand crank style, but easily adapted to be powered by a cordless drill. But still thinking about the best way to mount it.

slipinkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:25am
Nice, I'm seriously envious.

I flat tow my Willys with a towbar since I posses neither the trailer nor the truck necessary to do it the better way.  I just completed 2,000 miles of flat towing last week with the Willys behind my Jeep Liberty.  The high winds in Arizona were not a lot of fun.  Tail waggin' the dog is what comes to mind thinking back on it.  It made for a long day on I-40.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:31am
I imagine that was a bit tricky! I've been playing with old cars, trucks and motorcycles for over 40 years, but never had a car trailer. I finally decided it was time to get one. Now I'm getting it set up how I want it.
slipinkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:37am
I should really do the same.

I live in an agricultural area and trailers for hauling farm equipment are commonly available both new and used.  I do have a 1990 Ford Bronco with the bigger 5.8L engine that could do the towing.

Now you've got me thinkin...
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 1:12am
It sure saves a lot of wear and tear. Its also handy if a breakdown occurs. I have a 1924 Ford also, so I can haul that too. I use a 2007 F150.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>