Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a car hauler today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 5:10am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

. . . . Between being out of town, and the endless rain, its been hard to get things done.

Sounds like my life.  LOL

Nice additions to the trailer!! 

When I first got my '2A,  I flat-towed it for a while (not more than 150 miles at a time).   I never enjoyed those trips.   So I started looking for a trailer.  Ironically on one of my trips,  I saw one on the side of road for sale.   The seller was a rock-mason who had obviously overloaded it, and was selling it cheap.  I bought it,  and loaded up the Jeep.  . .   After home,  it took some work to get everything straightened out.

I added brakes to it the 2nd year,  after a couple of harrowing experiences.     Just today,  I ordered a break-away kit,  because I plan a cross-country trip this summer,  and hope to be "legal" everywhere.

I agree that you will not know how you lived without one.  Smile

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:20am
I wasn't familiar with the breakaway kit until I bought the trailer. It's a good idea, but it's another battery to keep charged up. Not a problem if the trailer is used regularly (has a built in charger). But when sitting for a long period it needs a trickle charger.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:48am
Steve, i wasnt aware the breakaway system had its own battery! I thought it was powered by the truck battery when the trailer and lights were connected to the truck. Thanks.
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:59am
Mine has a small battery on they trailer tongue. There is a small cable that attaches to the truck, the other end to a pin in a switch on the trailer. If the trailer were to come loose, the cable (still attached to the truck) would pull the pin from the switch (like a hand grenade pin). This closes the switch, causing the breakaway battery to energize the trailer brakes, hopefully stopping it safely on its own. Mine has a built in charger that keeps it charged when plugged into the truck. If your Leonard trailer is fairly new and has electric brakes, it should have a similar set up.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:22pm
Yes, same set up. Ill have to see how to hook a charger to the trailer battery when it sits disconnected from the truck for a while. Thanks again.
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 12:36pm
I've been thinking about that too. I may connect a trickle charger pigtail directly to the battery terminals. That way it will bypass the onboard charger. Or just remove the battery and keep in on a trickle charger in the garage.
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:55pm
hi everybody
I have pull trailer for years and one rule that everybody should do is cross your safely chains.
some states will give you a ticket for not doing this.

the chains are there to catch the head of the trailer if the ball breaks.

dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:24pm
Dennis it's been a long time since I heard anything from you. Hopefully you are doing well. You are right about crossing the chains. I also found out that the break away cable can't be hook into the chain clivis where it snaps into the receiver. The cable has to be hooked sperate
Pat
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:31pm
Steve, I did get the two inch drop that Spinnas and Joe De Young suggested . It just didnt look right. Maybe i need to post another picture. I haven't tried to tow it.

Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 2:04pm
I did the 2" drop test also, but haven't had time to take it out yet.  Between work, rain and honeydoos, there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.  

I'm going to install a 2000lb worm gear winch on the front of the trailer, just in case I need help getting the jeep or anything else loaded.  I just ordered a high quality Dutton-Lainson worm winch that can be run by a cordless drill or hand crank. 

It will make for simple, but powered emergency winch without all the hassle of an extra battery, cables, charger etc.  This weekend I hope to cut some steel to make the mount.   

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:07pm
Adding a winch will significantly aid you when loading a dead vehicle.  I've got winches on both of my car haulers, and I've used them many times.  Even used it to load logs for firewood.  I installed the HF 2500 lb winch because it comes with a wireless controller.  That allows me to guide the vehicle and the winch at the same time.  I do have to carry a separate battery to run the winch, but I usually have a spare battery around anyway.  I've been thinking about running a pair of heavy wires from the truck battery to the rear bumper and put an Anderson connector on them.  Then I could simply plug the winch power wires into the Anderson connector and use the truck battery to run the winch.  Another project for another day.

On the balance thing, I try to put the transmission over the front axle with my Jeep.  That provides a good estimate of the center of weight for the Jeep, and seems to give me the best feel when I'm towing the trailer.  Enough tongue weight for good control without pushing down too hard on the rear springs of the truck.  When towing a regular car, I try to put the transmission between the axles for best weight distribution as you see in the photo below. 

Another trick I use is to put a shop rag between my straps and any contact with metal.  With road vibration, even round metal edges can wear through a strap.  Putting the shop rag between the strap and metal prevents that from happening.  You can see the red rags in the photo. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:20pm
Nice looking Chevy Mike.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:24pm
Mike, how's the 2500 winch work for you? I've been looking at the same one.

I know bigger is better but that one seems to be a good value price wise. Was just thinking that 2,500 is plenty for a ROLLING vehicle anyway.....I know dead weight would be different.

Would you do it again?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:46pm
I love my trailer...I have no idea what brand it is, but it's heavy duty and hauls my jeep very nice. I have stake pockets all around it that I use for spare tire mounts and for the tie down inserts and even sides if I chose. I generally put the center of the jeep just a bit more forward than the wheels on the trailer unless I have an implement on the back. My truck is a 2500 diesel and does not care about tongue weight that much. I use four axle strap tie downs. With my tractor on the trailer I use chain binders.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:48pm
Thanks Tom.  Belongs to a good friend.  He asked if I could help him get it running again.

Chad, Yes I would do it again.  I did.  On both of my car haulers.  The 2500 was enough winch to haul that 68 Chevy up a small grade, and up the ramps, onto my trailer using just the straight cable, not doubling it with a pulley.  When I had a 1500 lb winch on this trailer I had to double line on anything bigger than a Jeep.  And I love the remote control for the winch.  It gives me total freedom to move about the vehicle, even to ride in it, while controlling the winch.  Very handy for a one-man upload.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:48pm
And I picked up an 8000 lb winch not long ago, a traveler brand so it's a cheapie, but it has a remote and such. I will make a bracket to slide into the stake pockets on the trailer that will have a receiver on it...that way I can store the winch elsewhere.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:54pm
I mounted a Hi-Lift Jack on the front of my trailer. Always there for any situation. Especially if trailer is loaded. Cheap insurance.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

[QUOTE=64CJ5]After several years I put brakes on the front axle.  It made a noticeable difference in stopping distance.  Now would be the time to have them put on if you are not up to doing it your self. 
[/QUOTE

In Colorado brakes are required on all axles.

Reading this post has got me thinking, I have a tandem axle trailer with brakes on one axle. I plan to make the CFCT again this year and would like to be in compliance with the law but the more I read the more confused I get. One statement says brakes adequate to stop the trailer, another talks about the weight of the trailer, then another talks about trailers for commercial use. Does anyone know exactly what Colorado law specifies? Texas is actually pretty lenient on non-commercial trailers, except they require an inspection if the trailer weighs over 4000 lbs.    
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>