Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a car hauler today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 3:16am
I don't think I've ever really spent much money at HF.  I used to go there every time they had those freebie coupons, though.  The ones where you didn't have to make a purchase to get the item.  I have about a dozen of the 9-LED flashlights, 6 or 8 of the 27-LED portable work lights, half dozen of the digital multimeters, gloves, tarps, rope, screwdrivers (really pretty cheesy screwdrivers), scissors, oh, and AAA batteries.  My cost: the gas to get there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:32pm
Rural King is a pretty awesome store. Like tractor supply and harbor freight rolled into one...and you'll never find better prices on oil.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 2:02pm
I'm fabricating the worm gear winch mount for my trailer using a section of heavy angle iron bolted to the trailer front cross beam with four grade 8 bolts.  I found an ATV receiver hitch that I'll weld to the angle iron.  Its rated at 4000lbs, which is way more than needed.  I'll weld a plate to a 2" square insert and bolt the winch to it.  It can be secured in the tongue mounted storage box when not in use.  The worm winch is rated at 2000lb, I'll pick up a snatch block to ease the burden if needed.  With a good lithium battery cordless drill, it should easily be able to pull up a sickly jeep if needed.

http://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=11001

Here is the receiver, ready to be welded to the heavy angle iron.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 10:43pm
I finished the worm winch mount and got it all set up. The winch itself is bolted to a plate that is welded to a 2x2 square steel tube. It slips into the receiver hitch when needed. The worm winch has a 40-1 ratio. With the snatch block that's 80-1.  That would be painfully slow with a hand crank, but with the heavy duty cordless tool to drive it, there should be no sweat.  It will still be slow, but this is only in case of break down, not something to be used on a regular basis. I could have used an electric winch, but I didn't want to deal with another battery, heavy cables etc., just for emergency use. I think this will serve my purpose.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 11:21pm
Cool. Looks lkke a great idea.
Rick Estes
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:23pm
Great idea, lots of possibilities, you could also plug it into a receiver on your draw bar.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Great idea, lots of possibilities, you could also plug it into a receiver on your draw bar.

Yes, I thought about that too.  Before I welded the above mount together, I test fitted the ATV receiver to the jeep's drawbar.  It comes with a 3/4" grade 5 bolt, nut and lockwasher that is perfect for the holes in the drawbar (although grade 8 would be better).  It only needs a slight modification to work.  Because it has only a single bolt, it can pivot under load.  I would weld a steel bar across the bottom of it, butted up against the rear edge of the drawbar.  That would lock it in place.  I may do that this weekend. 

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 2:39pm
Mlke, how did you mount/attach the fairlead(?) for the HF winch? I bought one also and it works great, but I'm not sure how to mount the fairlead- I think that's the name. Anyway the frame with 4 rollers. A photo would be great. Thanks.
Rick Estes
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 3:57pm
Here are photos of my two HF winches.  As you can see in the first photo, this winch does not have a roller fairlead, or any fairlead on it.  This one is mounted in my enclosed car hauler and the only way it's going to pull is straight out the back door.  So I didn't mount a fairlead.  Didn't feel like I needed one. It's between my water barrel and my battery box.  

On this trailer, and open flat bed trailer, I did want the fairlead.  I bought the HF winch mounting plate and it came with a fairlead.  I welded the plate to my trailer frame, then bolted the fairlead to the front of the winch frame.  I'm not sure I really needed it here either since I pull all my loads on at the other end of the trailer, not over the side.  But it came with the winch mounting plate so I used it.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 4:27pm
Excellent! Thanks a lot. Now I have some ideas. 🤓 and that could be dangerous!
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 4:55pm
Rick - just another idea to consider. Make a pivoting mount using the HF ATV receiver hitch. As I eventually showed in my "winch in a pinch" thread, it was fairly easy to make. It allows roughly 35 degrees of swing left and right on the back of my jeep, and eliminating the need for a fairlead (in my case, making up for the lack of one). I didn't see the need for a pivoting mount on the trailer.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 5:49pm
Another thought ....the swinging hitch will be useful in certain situations but a fairlead is going to 'self center' the load (in relation to the winch ) better than the swinging hitch will. (just my opinion)

Carry on.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:00pm
Thanks, Steve
I've already mounted the winch on the front rail of the trailer, and in thimking about it and Mikes photos, I'm not sure the fairlead is needed right in front of the winch. Might be more useful if it could be moved to a point of stress, such as the edge of the bed at the tail gate, or wherever a smooth surface is needed for different circumstances. Not sure if I can explain my thinking here. But, anyway thank for your reply. I don't think I could make what you made.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 10:43pm
I've been trying to post photos lfof  my winch set up and possible locations for the fairlead, but the site says, "wrong file type..." These photos are .jpg. Is this not an acceptable file type for photos?
Rick Estes
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 10:46pm
.jpg is the only kind I post.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:25pm
I've seen that error message come up when I accidentally tap the video icon above instead of the photo icon (looks like a tree). Those icons are small on my phone or tablet, and my fat fingers have trouble finding them sometimes.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:26pm
Thanks, roc, that's what I thought I'd been doing. I'll keep trying.
Rick Estes
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 11:56pm
I'm trying to post a photo again:
Worked! Thanks- don't know what, if anything I changed!
Anyway, here's a place where the rollers might be needed when pulling something from that side of the trailer. The fairlead could be clamped temporarily with a u-bolt. What do you al think?
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>