Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a car hauler today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 3:02am
I don't really see the scenario myself but that doesn't mean anything much.

If I'm understanding the situation I would just jockey my trailer into a better position but hey, it's your trailer who am I to say you don't need it.....but I don't think I do.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 3:35am
I went "halves" on a 20" tilt back trailer a few years ago. It tilts but still has 4' in front of the tilting part which makes it more versatile. No ramps to fool with, just release the lock and it tilts back. It has an hydraulic cylinder to let it down slowly. But, you can't winch vehicles on to it because of the tilt. I make do with a winch welded to a receiver which I used to use on a non-tilt trailer. I use an axle strap and rig it to the side of the front of the trailer.

We both have had a lot of use out of it. My buddy has pulled his 37 Packard to Maine twice. I use it closer to home. My tandum axle 16' trailer with big steel ramps just sits as does my goose-neck. Can't beat drive on and go.

Ralph
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I don't really see the scenario myself but that doesn't mean anything much.

If I'm understanding the situation I would just jockey my trailer into a better position but hey, it's your trailer who am I to say you don't need it.....but I don't think I do.

Thanks, roc. I'm sure you're right. And I won't have to figure out how or where to put the fairlead. It came in the box with the $50 winch with no mention or picture of how or where to mount it. I didn't know about the mounting plate when I bought it.
Thanks. 
Rick Estes
?inWI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?inWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2018 at 3:26am
sorry to post with outta the blue questions and not specifically adding anything to the discussion but my 86 year old dad has a demco 260 car caddy with surge brakes purchased in 2003, stores mostly outside, but still in great shape.  He’s looking to get rid of it but we have no idea where to start as far value of we lost on Craigslist, or what forum or club to look into.  We live in SE Wisconsin. We’d appreciate any advice or direction anyone can provide.  Thank you
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 10:21pm
Just to close the loop on my trailer discussion. A week ago I towed it with the jeep about 70 miles round trip. It pulled just fine with no ill manners. I'm quite pleased with it.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 9:15am
That's a sweet looking Jeep, and a nicely matched trailer to haul it on.  Glad to hear that it towed well.  Now since we had such a detailed discussion about winches, have you tried using yours to pull your Jeep onto the trailer?  It would be a good test to see how well your setup works.  I like the idea of the 2" receiver to mount the winch.  Mine is bolted to the flat deck trailer and out in the weather all the time.  Yours can be removed and stored in the cargo box out of the weather.  I may change mine to be like yours.  But I'll keep the electric winch.  I love the convenience of pushing a button to make the winch pull.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 12:21pm
I have not tried hauling it up on the trailer yet, but you are right that I should try it out.  The next time I load it up, I'll give it a try. Being able to lock up the winch when not in use was my main reason for making the receiver mount.  Since my trailer sits outside, I didn't want it exposed to the elements unnecessarily.  Being able to mount it to the jeep with a receiver hitch was an afterthought, but certainly adds to its usefulness.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2020 at 9:34pm
Dredging up an old thread!

Earlier in this thread I showed the worm winch I added to my car hauler. It is hand crank or cordless drill powered. While I had done some testing with it, I never had the need to actually haul a car up onto the trailer with it. That is until yesterday. 

My buddy's MUTT died a few hours away. I loaned him my trailer to fetch it. He used the winch and a 3/8" Ryobi cordless drill. It hauled the beast up without much fuss. 

I'm glad it finally got an operational test and passed.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 4:15am
1)  cool that it worked !!

2) I can't believe you did not try to pull your Jeep up as a test.  LOL

3) how did I miss this thread a couple years ago?   I need to go back to catch up.   I do remember you getting trailer,  but missed the winch discussion.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 10:36am
Yes I should have tried it before. Not sure why I didn't. I had another thread related to the winch mounted on the jeep.

GJCJs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GJCJs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Looks nice!
Might spring for the Anti-BMW protection before you pick it up.
I missed seeing this until this morning. Most wont understand, but I get it! A well built trailer will open up the side of a BMW convertible like a can opener, believe me! Thanks for the chuckle. 

Congratulations on the purchase. And good planning on personalizing it for your needs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345