Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake bleed process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj2a1946jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake bleed process
    Posted: 14 Sep. 2021 at 11:52pm
I just installed a complete brake system including all lines, MC, y sections, flex hose and wheel cylinders. It took some work but it’s all in now with no leaks or drips I can see. I was able to bleed the brakes. During that process I did find one small leak. I tightened the fitting and it fixed the issue. I decided to fill the MC fluid, topped it off and tried to bleed again starting at the passenger rear.  I have a hard pedal but can’t move fluid through the bleeders for some reason.  When I spin the wheels while jacked up and have someone press the pedal they seem to work fine at all four wheels.  

Some common questions I can answer. I did not bench bleed the MC.  My method of bleeding is an old water bottle with brake fluid attached to a hose connecting to the bleeder.  The hose in the bottle is below the fluid level. I drilled a small hole for the air to escape in the cap.  This system has worked for me in the past. 

Like I said pedal is pretty firm and the pads are moving stopping the drum so fluid must be flowing.  I have not taken it for a test drive yet with higher speeds and forces. Any ideas as to why I can’t move fluid through any of the bleeders?  I would assume if it was air the pedal would be softer.  For reference I have been able to bleed all four wheels. It seems like after fixing the last leak something changed.  Trying to see what else I could be missing… I am sure not bench bleeding set me back but I have moved a lot of fluid through.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 8:14am
Have you removed the bleeder screws to see if the passages inside them are open? Will fluid exit the bleeder screw hole without a screw in them?
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 8:51am
Check your brake free pedal. there should be a small amount of free pedal before the brakes actually apply. If you don't have this the master cylinder won't allow the brakes to release.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cj2a1946jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj2a1946jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 8:56am
I have not taken them fully out.  I get some fluid through into my hose set up. Just not a constant flow where it would fill the bottle and hose setup. 

You can feel a change in the pedal when the bleeder is open.  I have a feeling it’s a pressure thing with the hose / bottle set up.  It might be sucking air back in each pump.  I might try the old fashion way opening pressing pedal and closing with the pedal down. 
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 9:07am
Sounds like your bleeders are working just fine. You will only get a significant amount of fluid coming out the open bleeder while the master cylinder is displacing fluid.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 9:55am
Adding on to SE, you also need enough free play in your brake pedal so that the piston in the MC can fully reset every time you press on the pedal. 
cj2a1946jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj2a1946jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 10:39am
Would that be push rod adjustment then? 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by cj2a1946jeep cj2a1946jeep wrote:

Would that be push rod adjustment then? 
Yes.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply