Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Drum Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Drum Confusion
    Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:22am
My 48 CJ-2A has no shortages of surprises that it slowly meters out over the course of the last 9 months.  Removing the wheels to sand blast and refinish I got my first look at the drums.  Everything appeared to be in order except for the left rear.  This drum slides over the studs instead of being press fit with the hub.  I am assuming I have a repair done with later CJ model parts, can someone confirm?

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:48pm
Yep, your left rear hub is CJ3 or later. Really a better brake than the earlier.

Were it mine I would "upgrade" to later style brakes. The later 9" Bendix brakes are better for several reasons than the earlier Lockheed brakes with the inboard drums. They work better because they are self actuating, and are easier to service because you don't have to pull the hubs to get at the brakes unless the studs have unnecessarily been swaged.

I upgrade my Jeeps to 11" Bendix, and have a pile of the 9" brakes, both early and later I have taken off of Jeeps. If you want any of these parts send me a PM.

Edited by Oldpappy - 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:56pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
TimmyT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 4:01pm
Thanks OldPappy.  Great information and offer to source.  I may definitely reach out to you when I decide which way I will go.

Post Reply Post Reply