Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake drums dragging on back plate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake drums dragging on back plate
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 1:04am
Anybody had a problem with reproduction drums dragging on the back plates?  I’m thinks my backing plates must be bent. But maybe the drums run a little deeper?
Dave
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 1:31am
Is your shim retainer plate installed in front of the backing plate, or behind the backing plate?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 1:54am
It’s on the front. But after looking more closely, the back plates still have some warping to them. I worked on straightening them up but I guess not good enough. I didn’t realize the tight tolerance between the drum and the backing plate.
Dave
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 3:38pm
So I woke up this morning and decided to do some measuring before I start bending parts. I found that my reproduction drums are about 5/64" deeper from the center than the original drums. Which is exactly the height of the step on the inside edge of the drum.

Dave
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 5:04pm
Don’t tell me, let me guess - Omix-ADA?   BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2020 at 7:08pm
I don’t think so. They seem to be good quality, and have the feeler gauge slot. From Army Jeep Parts up in PA.

Just checked the box they came in...they're Seal Tested brand. 

Edited by Hamhog - 19 Jan. 2020 at 7:18pm
Dave
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 1:58am
Are the drums supposed to be mounted on the inboard side of the hubs or are they supposed to be outboard of the hubs?   
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:03am
They’re stock style drums. The hub plate is outside the drum. The lugs press in from the inside of the drum and through the hub plate.
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:13am
I saw that in the photo, but is that the way they're supposed to be?  I don't know and the photo kinda looks like they can't go on the outside, but I'm just throwing out a suggestion.  I guess if they were mounted outside, they might be then out too far?  Just trying to cover all the bases.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 2:33am
Yeah, I appreciate it. I was thinking if can have them machined down...cut most of that step down...they’ll work fine. 
Dave
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2020 at 9:07pm

Problem solved? Time will tell.

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 6:33am
Tune in tomorrow for the thrilling conclusion?  Fingers crossed here...  Thumbs UpQuestion
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 6:58pm
Well...the good news, I have clearance between the drum and the backing plate. The bad news, when I snug up the hub nut hand-tight, the drum binds on the edge of the brake shoes.  

I back to square one. Starting to think these aren’t going to work. They just run too deep on the hub. 

These are the Seal Tested brand from armyJeepparts.com Any recommendations on new drums?Ouch
Dave
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 7:10pm
Hamhog,

I had a similar problem years ago and found that the wheel bearings and races were warn.  (Which seems nuts - but they were on the vehicle when I purchased it and could have been original).  I replace the wheel bearings and races and the problem was fixed.

You could also put a shim behind the inner and outer race - that might get you there also...

Just another crazy idea.

Edit:  Try just put a shim between the inner race and the hub.  Outer shim probably is not needed.

Edited by Stev - 21 Jan. 2020 at 7:22pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 7:21pm
I replaced the bearings and races. I was wondering if the spindle might be the problem...worn and allowing the bearings to seat farther in? But everything was in pretty good shape when I took it apart. Nothing bound up. I'm pulling my hair out.

Dave
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 10:54pm
I'm going to bring the drums back to the machine shop tomorrow and see if they can take a little more (5/64") out of the inner lip. Hopefully that'll cure it once and for all.

Dave
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2020 at 3:23pm
Your problem appears to be that you have the drum inside and the hub outside. Following is a photo of an NOS hub with studs  in place.

BOULDER 48 2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2020 at 1:33am
Terry, I think that may be the style from the M38 and later models that had the hub on the inside of the drum.

Dave, what process did you use to press the lugs and hubs on to the new drums? 

I only ask because I once used the wrong style puller to remove the rear drums on a 2A. It completely distorted the original drum.  The skin on the outer face of the drum basically got pulled inward while I yanked the drum off.  I didn't realize I was doing this.  My issue was exactly the opposite of yours when I went to re-assemble the brakes, I couldn't get the drum to fully seat all the way to the backing plate.  There was a 1/2" gap.  I could see the brake shoes.  I'll try to find the photos later.  

If, while you were pressing the lugs and hubs back together, could you have distorted your drum...in a way that forced the outer skin outward?  Essentially making the drum too deep?  This could answer why you're having these alignment issues.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>