Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Brakes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Spring, Shoe Return

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Spring, Shoe Return
    Posted: 20 July 2018 at 7:36pm
Can someone steer me to to best tool/application to install the spring, shoe return,#637905, on my 472a drum brakes, please? I have tried screw drivers, and today bought a brake spring plier tool from Pep boys. all to no avail. All of the videos (for vehicles other than Willys)that I have watched to learn a trick or two have the spring set on a stud/pin. As you know, my shoes have a hole for the spring end to go into. Anywhoooo, is there a special tool or am I not understanding, what I thought was a no brainer, how to stretch this spring into the round opening of the shoe?

Jerry
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

usmcpmi View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcpmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2018 at 8:29pm
I just use a good pair of wire cutters...hook one side then grab the other end with the pliers and pull it over and drop it in the hole.
'48 CJ2A/192948
'15 Wrangler Rubicon

Mark G.
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 1:48pm
Thank you, Mark. I have tried hooking one side and pulling the spring ( approx. 1.5") to the hole on the opposing shoe. It is nearly impossible with the tension. I used pilers, not cutters. I, have been stuck here for a few days. I would LOVE to find a video of someone installing the spring on 2a drum brakes. Any referneces?
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Post Reply Post Reply