Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brass dash plate on 46 CJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brass dash plate on 46 CJ
    Posted: 25 Dec. 2006 at 12:23pm
I just "experimented" with my flat, dark patina, couldn't-make-out-the lettering-or-design solid brass dash plate, and had some luck.

I lightly buffed it by hand with very fine steel wool--the finest I could get--OOO?.  The highlighted embossing came out polished up with a nice yellow brass glow, and the background stayed the dark patina color. 

I'm thinking this plate was NEVER inked or painted, just polished this way.  Any evidence one way or the other?

Anyhow it looks pretty good now, so I will just laquer it [unless I hear from someone not to do that] and install it.  No one ever read that plate, anyhow, I'll bet.  The farm and factory scenes on it are handsome, however.

del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 11:11am
Dels brass tag is beautiful!  Before and after:

<--> 

Sean

Edited by sean - 07 July 2008 at 5:09pm
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 2:48pm

I used exactly the same clean-up process on the brass plate I once had, then just waxed it. Not as long-lived as laquer but looks better, IMO. 

I remember being fascinated by the factory scene on the instruction plate in Dad's CJ2A when I was a tyke.  Country boys didn't now what  factories looked like, before television.

CJAlaska
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 3:30pm
The military  brass plates were painted/inked.. But the civvie brass plates were a pretty rare animal. I really have no proof but it would seem unusual for it not to have some sort of paint.

What was the backside like? It would seem if there was a painting process done, the back would have been all black.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 3:55pm
the one I had was unpainted if memory serves, it was from a 46, long gone, don't have a serial number. Would be interesting to know when these were used.

CJAlaska
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I really have no proof but it would seem unusual for it not to have some sort of paint.
Many of the other brass examples I have photos of seem to show a black background.

Quote What was the backside like? It would seem if there was a painting process done, the back would have been all black.
The zinc plates, which were black front, were still plain zinc on the backside.

Originally posted by CJAlaska CJAlaska wrote:

Would be interesting to know when these were used.
We sorta have a time-frame, but it's incomplete.  We'll probably never know the exact numbers:

CJ2A Data Plates

Sean

Edited by sean - 26 Dec. 2006 at 10:57pm
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2006 at 10:54pm
same w/ mine sean. do you still have the pics of it? the 46 plate didn't seem to have paint on it . i sold the ser# to joe de young when i got the jeep way back 3 years ago. i can find the acm # for you

Edited by Mike Gardner - 30 Dec. 2006 at 10:56pm
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2007 at 10:27am
Mike:
Quote same w/ mine sean. do you still have the pics of it?
Sorry.

Yes I do have your photos, thanks.  Just haven't got around to building a "brass" plate web page yet.  Too many other things to do.

Sean

Edited by sean - 05 Jan. 2007 at 10:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply