Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breakd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakd
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 6:06pm
I'm starting to get into my '46- took front tires off and the driver's side is a Chevy brake drum and passenger seems original. Is that going to be a problem down the road? Driver's side is only break that is working. I also will need a left hand stud nut.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:13pm
What indication are you seeing to make you think its a Chevy drum?

That would be some kind of modification..  Chevy never used a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern that I was ever aware of.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:18pm
Finned drum from a intermediate CJ5 maybe, 11" brakes from the same year very possible. Measure the approx diameter of the inside of the drum

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

LBuisse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:18pm
Has the Chevy badge
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:27pm
Look for the axle ID number cast into the lower web of the center housing IE 25, 27, 30, 44.

Chevy truck front axle?  are the tires flush with the body? or sticking out indicating a longer axle

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:43pm
Never seen a brake drum with a "Chevy badge", or any other "badge", and never seen a Chevy wheel or brake drum with the 5 1/5" pattern either.

Post a picture of what you have with a measuring tape or ruler across the wheel studs, and showing this badge you mentioned.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:22pm
  Brake drums with Chevrolet bow ties on them have been found on WWII jeeps or in replacement parts. Guess is that Chevrolet division of GM was helping by casting brake drums. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
LBuisse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:52pm
The axel is a GP 3076
Can't post pictures here, check out my new post
LBuisse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 9:00pm
Can't post pictures at this time
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 9:26pm
Lance,

I never heard of a "GP 3076" axle, in a Jeep or any other vehicle. A Cj2A would likely have a Dana 25 front axle, but vehicles this old are sometimes a salad. Posting pictures to this site is not difficult.

Bruce,
Interesting about the WW2 brake drums with the Chevy bowtie, but it makes more sense of the mystery, and most manufacturing in the US was involved in the war effort. 

LBuisse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 9:58pm
Could be 3075 or 8075 also stamped front axel and hypoid oil only.
If you pm meet your cell I can send a few pictures
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 10:09pm
  Is HYPOID OIL ONLY cast into the differential cover on the axle ?
BW 

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 11:16am
Lance,

I replied to your message with my phone number, so you can send pictures to me and I will upload them.

Also, you said you needed a left hand lug nut. 

You can buy new lug nuts for $10 a set of five from QTM.

These are the larger nuts which came around after 1948, so not "correct" for a 46 but they will work fine, and I think are better particularly if the holes are wallowed out on the wheels.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 12:56pm
Here are some pictures Lance sent me of the axle and hub/brake in question.

Lance says he believes the axle was changed because of some front end damage he sees on the Jeep, and thinks the axle may be military.

My thoughts. 

Lockheed design 9" brakes as used WW2 through CJ2A production. The early drive flange, the Chevy bowtie marking on the drum, and the green paint (which looks like the color used on Marine Jeeps), makes me think this is a WW2 front axle. I would like to see the steering knuckle, and it would also be good to see the rear axle cover and hub. 

WW2 axles are a 4:88 gear ratio, CJ2A axles are 5:38 ratio, so if this indeed is a military front axle swapped into a CJ2A the rear would have needed to have been swapped as well or there would be driveline wrap whenever 4WD was engaged. 

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 1:02pm
Also, would be good to see a picture of the Jeep's tub including dashboard. 

Lance said this was his grandfather's Jeep, I am wondering if his grandfather purchased the Jeep from a government auction and may not actually be a 46 CJ2A.

A lot of WW2 Jeeps were issued titles when first registered for private use and the year on the titles is not always accurate. Same for later military Jeeps going into the civilian market. I had a M38 which came out of FT Hood which was registered as a 1949 CJ2A.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 1:06pm
Interesting!!

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

.....and thinks the axle may be military.

Pretty sure that's why Bruce asked his question. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 1:22pm
  Cast iron cover. Evidence of an MB/GPW axle. Where is the steering bellcrank mounted? If it is mounted on the frame crossmember as in CJ, is there a bellcrank bracket on the axle housing?
BW 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>