Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

breather vents (none on jeep)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breather vents (none on jeep)
    Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 6:23am
i dont think either axle or the tcase or the transmission have a breather vent..... i went to check my rear diff today (it was low) and the positive pressure practically popped the drainplug past my fingers into my palm...

so has anyone else added vents to their drive train successfully?

thanks
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 6:33am
Rear axle has a grease zerk and a vent on the outer ends of the axle.  Trans and T/C are connected with a vent in the top side of the T/C, should have a hose connected to it

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Rear axle has a grease zerk and a vent on the outer ends of the axle.  Trans and T/C are connected with a vent in the top side of the T/C, should have a hose connected to it

Fltfndr

I don't think those bits on the axle ends will vent the case. 

Rear axle - On my 41 - if i can recall correctly, there is a small hole on the axle driver side axle tube - maybe 1/8 big or so. That's your vent. There is no fitting attached and it's easy to miss. I'm guessing it's maybe crudded and plugged? Scrape around on the tube and see if it's there. 44's had a vent either on tube in a similar location or as part of the cover. It's much larger on the 44 and easy to see. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 2:58pm
I think most of the stock pumpkin covers have vents in them. 
Transfer cases are vented.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 6:31pm
Transmission and TC are vented.  See the silver cap on top of the TC front bearing cap.  I've not seen this connected to a hose as fltfndr suggests, but I also don't see why you couldn't.  So everything you mentioned is vented.  If your rear diff plug popped out of your hand, your axle vent hole might be plugged up with crud.

Edited by athawk11 - 21 Feb. 2020 at 1:38pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 6:45pm
Here is the vent hole location in your rear axle...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 7:35pm
That Willy knows his stuff!

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply