Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brinks 47 #62728

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brinks 47 #62728
    Posted: 22 Feb. 2011 at 6:25am

My son and I brought the first Jeep back from Kansas this summer, after mentioning to my uncle I'm looking for an old Willys Jeep for a father son project. Little did I know how my uncle loves a good challenge, few weeks later the phone calls started coming in. Auctions, estate sales, farm sale, etc..   Finally we got a lead on a jeep in an estate sale, which turned out to be a rough old mail jeep. Long story short, one of the guys helping with auction knew my uncle and just so happen had an old Willys in his garage which he was thinking about getting rid of. My uncle and aunt went and took pictures to confirm for me.  Then they all started talking and realized my aunt and him were both retired BNFS employees, so the fuel out and back cost more than the jeep. 

Then we needed more parts so I located a Jeep on Craiglist. Now "Eddie" this guy had already started restoration of our second Jeep and was doing it right. Unfortunately other things came up and he had to find another home for the jeep, We talked several times and went over details mechanically good but the tub was shot, again hooked up trailer and headed east. Now this was like Christmas, Eddie just kept pulling parts out and tubs, bins with labeled baggies out of his shop. Then we went to the dinning room where he had the engine (very understanding wife) which had been re-worked at a Rod Shop. Everything loaded and headed back home and now the fun began.  

the Chassis

The Engine

We started by having cleaning out all threads for good clean torque.

My son really wanted to try out the new sand blaster in the corner.  So no problem I suppose now would be the best time.  Got him started on the Jerry Can holder.

We then moved onto the Wheels. I always like having clean and nice wheels on what ever project I'm working on for some reason.  I made a quick hub for one of my shop stands to mount the wheels on to blast and paint.

Mounted wheel

the stand makes it really easy to get an even coat of paint by just spinning the wheel and hold the rattle can still.

The one thing I did notice was that the above rim was apparently a replacement rim at one time. If you notice the inside rim has a smooth transition verses the raised rim.  I'm now on a hunt for a single matching rim for the chassis and then use this as the spare.

While we were working on wheels we also cleaned up the hubs.

We did some inspecting and made a quick call to the wife's cousin who manages a car quest and now have all the parts to rebuild all brakes.  But meanwhile they will look good all cleaned up.

I also read on the forum how to replace the ring gear on the flywheel.  Heated the ring gear and a few taps with hammer and chisel off with old ring gear. Then we ordered a new ring gear from Walck's, then waited until time was right 20 deg outside to cool down flywheel, heated new ring gear in oven. Assembled it all on the kitchen island with welding gloves. Now we are ready to crank.

I have a lot more to post just wanted to see if this is how its done.

CJ2A #62728
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2011 at 12:50pm
Welcome again.  Great pics and great story.  By the time your boys a teenager, his buddies will be bring their cars by for your son to "help" them.  I got home last night and went out to the shop to hunt up my front propeller shaft (found it) and there was gleaming high end exhaust system on  the floor.  I called my younger son and it was for a friend's car and they are going to install after school today.  Taking the rough with the smooth, I also asked why one of my jacks and a creeper were left out in the driveway.

Love that wheel fixture.  I may put the old  bell crank mounting bolt set up that I just replaced to good use.

Edited by ralf - 22 Feb. 2011 at 12:53pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2011 at 1:56pm
Yep, sounds like you are doing it right.
My only suggestion would be to outfit your son with a respirator while doing the blasting chores. I don't know what you are using for media but fine particles of media will be floating in the air while blasting. I'd hate to see you or your son get silicosis and not be able to enjoy riding around in your new Jeep! Just a suggestion.
I like your wheel fixture! I might have to make me one of those. Great for clean-up and for painting. COOL!!
Keep up the good work.
AND keep those pics coming!

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2011 at 4:22pm

looks like a great project and the "daddy time" is worth far more than any jeep!

second the motion on a respirator! also three sheets of plywood in the shape of a U will go a long way to helping corral some of the blasting media and making cleanup a lot easier u can also screen it and reuse it several times. might consider moving blasting station a bit farther from the MH doesnt look to me like its ready for new paint yet Wink
any way wlecome and keep us updated with pics if u havent noticed we get grumpy when theres no pics Tongue

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2011 at 2:16am
Well we don't want anybody grumpy, so here are some of the rotisserie we built to help with the body work on the tub. Steven is able to spend it with no effort so we must have got it balanced.  We can also raise or lower it to make it a comfortable height to work on.

notice the modification a prevoius owner did to allow for replacement tank, he even moved the fuel fill pocket.  no problem a little cutting and welding cant fix.

I never like working under the dash never enough room and that trans hump, well except that one time when I was a teen and I helped a neighbor work on his Toronado.. now that was car with all floor board "sguirrel".  Sorry back on scope here, well I discovered you tilt tub on itside and pull up stool and light. WOW now this is nice. Looking forward to the wiring now. 

Can't image what falls out when it got turned upside down

Hmm looks like I have some work.  What I do need help with is measurements for the placement of the two cross hat channels for the rear deck I did find the post for hat channels and now I have the dimensions but can't seem to find measurments for placement.   

Here is how we hung the tub the rear of the tub. The all-thread is to help keep spacing correct

Here is how we attached the front. "sorry for the blurrr"

Better view of the rotisserie stands they are identical and light weight, very sturdy.

Now the fun starts with shots of my sheetmetal work.  Now keep in mind this my first time with something as thick as this, but I have lots of friends to bounce ideas off of.

Blank sheet

Now before anyone says, yes I know the beads are not spec, but just fine for me plus price is right.

rear fender decks

more bends

if anyone is interested in more pictures of the Harbor Freight beader "SUPERSIZED" and motorized (my buddie's wife drew the line on hand cranking) just let me know and I can post other pictures.

More pictures as we start replacing panels, 

OH!!! and big thanks to mike in oregon, received lower edge tailgate patch "beautiful" can't wait to install it.  I'll post pictures as I cut and weld it. 

CJ2A #62728
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2011 at 3:50am
Somehow I get the impression that you're not new to this stuff.(LOL) All kidding aside, nice work. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2011 at 3:54am
Don't know about anyone else but I'm not grumpy anymore :)
Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2011 at 9:22am
Proud father, proud son, amazing wife and happy jeep!!!!! Congrats for your project!!! Astonishing!

Keep up the good work!
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2011 at 1:56pm
Excellant sheet metal work!

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2011 at 11:58pm
Brinks, I bought one of those beaders from H/F years ago.  Still in the box.  Can't find it.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2011 at 5:42am
I sure like your rotisserie attachment pieces. I have bookmarked this file so I can make it back to try and piece one together.  Yours includes some piece that need to be welded up so I am prepared to have my fridge stocked for a friend that lives to weld...he loves " different" projects that are not too too big.
I hope this qualifies !

Great job so far and good luck in the sheet metal arena!  
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 6:13am

Its been a awhile but I figured it was time to start replacing panels and this ugly modification was gonna be the first.

Once I removed modification discoved under 1/4 inch of bondo looks like someone was learning how to braize,weld or whatever so I decided to cut even more.

working in the new sheet metal

Little bit of welding and grinding.

Just a quick primer coat to see, not sure I'm too happy with the results.  My neighbor who has a body shop said nothing wrong and is going to help me fine tune.  Notice the transition from sheet metal to 1/4 inch bondo. Can't wait to remove bondo it and see what else can be hiding.

Cut the this out of the other "47" old tub and planning on installing n the "46" tub.

It cleaned up pretty good, fortunately the muliti-layer of paint protected the basics.

I found the turn lights in one of the storage box and decided it would be a quick weekend project.

Little sanding and priming and painting

I have a co-worker who does stain glass windows and had him cut frosted lenses. I know they are not flush to surface like the original ones, but they will work until I find lenses at a swap meet. Plus I have extras.

The light socket and wiring was gone, however I discoved the socket from a trailer side marker lamp fits right in there nice and snug. 

Not perfect but think it will work once I place them back in the grill.

Ok I know its not a Jeep, however it will come in handy on working on the Jeep. I just got my birthday gift and I need a set of wheels for it and my welder to roll around on.
So here is a cart I designed and built to handle both my new plasma cutter and welder.

Now I'm excited to start cutting and welding more panels.
CJ2A #62728

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2011 at 12:11pm
First class work all around!
I really like your plas/welding cart!
Two thumbs up!!

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2011 at 12:29am

We finally got some time to work on the engine.  Frontend and head

CJ2A #62728
Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2011 at 12:31am
CJ2A #62728
Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2011 at 12:34am
We also got busy and finally cut the rear deck and fenders out after a bunch of measuring and photos
CJ2A #62728
Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2011 at 12:36am
We then started on the rear deck.
CJ2A #62728
Brinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2011 at 12:38am
We made templates for the inner fenders
CJ2A #62728
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>