Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubba

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2022 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

For some reason earlier today I remembered a co worker 30 years ago who went to leave work after second shift and had a tie rod end fall out as he was backing out of his parking place. It was dark and everyone else had left. He jammed the tapered shaft back in ( nut was GONE ) and tied it up with a shoe lace, said a prayer and drove home!

That's a bit more faith than I want to have.

I was raking hay as a kid when a tie rod let go. We tied it up with bailing wire to go the 3 miles to home. Tractor didn’t move again until the part was replaced. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2022 at 12:02pm
Never had a tierod let go but it was a real thrill when the bell crank pin fell out shortly after I had bought Ol' Red. She went through a bar ditch and took out 100 feet of barbed wire fence and a fence post before I could get her stopped. I wasn't very well versed in jeep maintenance at the time (over 50 years ago) but I quickly learned from that experience that you don't always want to rely on other peoples mechanical skills. The farmer that owned the fence helped me put it back in place and said it wasn't a big deal because he didn't keep cattle in that pasture anymore. I rigged up an new pivot out of a tire iron and some of the barbed wire that was left from the fence repair and drive a mile and a half home.
Before I left the farmer, he did ask me if Ol' Red was for sale. J.C. Whitney supplied the replacement bell crank pin. I have since put a type of pin that can not fall out on its own. I believe it is from a later model CJ-2A. I did have to replace the bracket welded to the frame with a later model bracket. There is no slack or wobble with the new set up.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 01 Sep. 2022 at 12:11pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2022 at 1:08pm
Had a tie rod fall off of an old IH Scout one time when I was pulling back onto the highway after stopping for gas. I had just taken my kids to school in that thing and was very fortunate it didn't let go while we were running at highway speed. I had it towed to a front end shop two blocks from the gas station. 

I found out that Bubba worked at that front end shop. When I went down there the next day to pick the Scout up I looked at the tie rod end they had replaced and noticed it only had a little more than 1/4" threaded into the tube. They fixed that while I watched. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2022 at 1:11pm
My 47 has the older tapered wedge pin in the bell crank, the 48 frame I have has the one with a nut on it, so I assume 48 was when they changed that. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12