Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bucket List Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 12:43am
Yes, as my uncle used to say, "There is nothing so permanent as a temporary fix".

I know what he meant as the county put a "temporary fix" on a neighborhood bridge about 20 years ago. Now the "temporary fix" needs repaired/replaced. This bridge was scheduled to be replaced 30 years ago. I will bet that they just patch it again. 
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by EJOWest EJOWest wrote:

I picked the top up from ebay for $45. It was described as a 55-75 CJ5 bikini top. It takes the awning style channel on the top of the windshield. I just attached the awning channel on the windshield there were some existing snaps on the side of the windshield that Matched up with a a little fold and tuck. I meant for it to be temporary until I get something better. Grandpa use to call it temporary permanent. You put something on temporary and it ends up permanent.

Like my Saturday night hood special I made for my 3B after finding the aftermarket (MD Juan?-this was about 1975) version just would not fit without some major revision.  It was an aluminum frame with a fiberglass sheet skin pop riveted on top and lasted over three decades----

Some of that aluminum framework remains under the current all aluminum version.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2021 at 6:21am
I had a great time on the Rubicon in my Bucket list build! Ran the Rubicon with a great group of guys and gals and their awesome flat fender Jeeps! 

The only real issues I had is; 
I failed to replace my old dried up gas cap gasket and kept loosing fuel. 
My old thin exhaust header Broke off at the flange to the manifold. I was able to make a field repair but eventually that came apart which dumped hot exhaust in my engine bay causing vapor lock a few times on the last day.
I broke both rear shocks. I installed standard Monroe shocks so I'm not sure if they just weren't heavy duty enough or did not have enough play in them (wrong size)?

The Big Willy Rock sliders and U bolt sliders performed great! Brennan's skid plate was bullet proof! The little extension I made for the E brake held up. The cross member skid plates I made did the Job but you can really tell the difference between my standard steel plates I used and Brennan's skid plate material! 

My Bucket list build performed fantastic! The gearing upgrades, lockers, brake upgrade, skid protection, tire selection all came together for me. I was really surprised at what my Jeep was capable of doing! With some pointers from Rick and the other guys I feel I caught on pretty quickly on how to pick my lines. I can't wait to get it out on the trail again!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 9:30pm
You and your jeep did great, Ernie.  Y’all impressed me!  I forgot about your shocks and exhaust breakage, cuz you couldn’t tell anything was broke when I was watching you do the obstacles.  Hope to see you on the trails again soon.

Rick
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 10:29pm
Thanks Rick! Looking forward to seeing you on the trail again! 
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 12:56am
The ubolt skid plates move the lower shock mount up at least 1 inch. This causes the shock to bottom out at full flex.  Ideally a one inch shorter shock would be awesome. I haven’t found one, but I haven’t look either. 😋
I haven’t broken a shock but I have been bending shock mounts. I broke the front top right mount so when we put it back in we moved it up an inch ir so. We had to move the battery tray up a bit to make it all fit.

Some day I may get to moving the other three top mounts up a bit, but probably not until they are broken off.😐
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 6:33am
Thanks for the info Stan!
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2021 at 5:35am
I had a great time at CFFCT this past fall. Now that I've had some trail miles on Trigger I'm thinking of doing some upgrades this Winter. Trigger is a work in progress and I'm learning where I can improve a few things.  The suspension and ground clearance has a lot to be desired. My stock front springs have already developed a reverse arch. I broke both rear shocks on the Rubicon and I was definitely the lowest sitting Jeep out of the 10 Flat Fenders in our group on the Rubicon this past summer. I'd like lower gears for the rocks and higher gears for the road getting to the trail head. My little go- Devil with the gearing I have 45 mph seems to be pushing it and I end up driving more on the 35 - 40 range on the road. I guess I'm looking at going beyond the locker with stocker class and a little toward the modified Stocker. A V6 and four speed would be nice! Still pondering the options. I've been playing with a gear ratio spreadsheet and different combinations of Transmissions, Transfer case gears, Diff gears. The overdrive is nice for splitting gears with the T90c but it definitely has it's limitations with the go devil power and it kind of gives me the feeling it's not as reliable as the transmission and transfer case gearing. It's already starting to pop out of OD on occasion. It would be nice to come up with a Transmission/TC/Diff combination that could eliminate the need for the OD! 
Iron Chest Trail at the CFFCT.
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2021 at 8:20pm
The M38 is arguably the best of all the flat fender military Jeeps IMHO. Lessons learned from the GPW and MB, except for the weight to power ratio. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234