Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buckshot tire hello everyone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buckshot tire hello everyone.
    Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:45am
hello everyone. Just purchased a CJ2A. I would like to know what you think about putting the buckshot p78x16c (33x9.5x16) on the original 16 in wheel?. The guy at National said that it would fit but I would like to be sure.
I’m new here and I’m sure I will be asking a lot of questions 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:03am
Sorry no help on the tire choice, just wanted to say welcome! and congrats on the new acquisition!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
1lungsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:06am
thanks for the welcome it seems that the Willys community is a great bunch of people.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:23am
None better Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:37am
The Buckshot Mudder is a fantastic tire, I had a set on a pickup and it was virtually unstoppable. The P78 might be a bit large for a 2a. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:42am
thank you for the help Smile
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 6:08am
from their write up on the tires

"These tires are great for off-roading but ride awful on the street and are near impossible to balance."

So I take it your not worried about anything like wet roads or even being able to control it while on the road. Also a tire with a 9.5" section width on a 4.5" wide wheel? does not sound like a good idea.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 6:49am
thanks for your time. I would be driving mostly in the dirt I have a hunting cabin in Idaho. What tire would you suggest?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by 1lungsurfer 1lungsurfer wrote:

.....I would be driving mostly in the dirt I have a hunting cabin in Idaho.

The Buckshot .....in the next smaller size. Or the 32" TSL Super Swamper. (if the are available there)

Buckshots are tough economical tires.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:08pm
thanks for the reply. Do you know if the super swampers 32 will fit on the original 16 wheels? 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:11pm
They would probably do fine on a 6" wheel.....I ran mine on 7's with tubes in them ( personal choice on the tubes)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:24pm
Before tire selection You really need determine  if your wheels are original or ???
Upload pics of your wheels and measure the width / diameter so we know what can be fitted.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 4:29pm
on the website for the swampers it says that you would need a minimum of 7 in wide wheel. Where can I buy the right wheels for this  Application? Thanks again for everyone’s help.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 5:52pm
Same bolt pattern as a Suzuki Samauri...that oughta help your search some .   (since this doesn't seem to be about retaining 'originality')

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 6:44pm
Powerking super traction 7.50-16 measures 32” tall and would fit better on the narrow wheels if they are original. Any tire you are suggesting or being suggested though will rub the rear wheel tub when flexing and will limit steering in the front. Assuming you adjust the stops and actually have original wheels.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:56pm
Following the experience of Tin Badge here on the page, I mounted 5 narrow TSLs (34x9x16) super swampers on original KH 4.5” x 16” wheels.  I have run them for a year now on the Rubicon, Moab, Colorado, and Texas.  I, too, read Interco’s recommendation about running them on 7” wheels as a minimum, but on the experience of Tin Badge, I did it also.  I have had no problems running these tires on original KH wheels, EXCEPT....I have to maintain at least 10 psi to keep them on the bead.  This is an issue with ANY tire on the original KH wheels because they have no safety hump.  I will be welding some safety humps on the wheels in the near future.  I’ll report when I do this.  I have been well pleased with my big narrow tires on skinny original wheels so far. 

Surfer, here’s what mine look like on original wheels.  You can also click “My Videos” to see them in action.  Hope this helps.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:59pm
love that Jeep....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1lungsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 12:46am
thanks Rick g ! I saw your rig on YouTube and that’s what inspired me to want to put these tires on my rig. Have you had any gearing during issues or power loss? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>