Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Jiffy Camper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a Jiffy Camper
    Posted: 18 July 2016 at 2:35pm
I've been thinking of trying to build a copy of sorts of the Jiffy Camper for my Ben-Hur trailer. I'm hoping somebody here may have some experience doing something like this, considering its a little like the jeep tops.
So all I have to work with is a few pictures pilfered from the internet . A few pics of what I'm talking about.....

It looks like a thin type material, I was thinking of using a good thick cotton canvas for the top and maybe a thinner canvas for the sides and putting Canvak on it, would this work out ok or would I be better off with a tent material that is already water proofed?
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 3:51pm
Just go buy one, its only $275 for the whole thing.
Wink
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Just go buy one, its only $275 for the whole thing.
Wink
That would be $275 deposit now......a heap of payments and some free steak knivesBig smile
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 2:04am
I've been thinking of the same sort of setup for my Bantam trailer. Bear Creek Canvas has canvas patterns for Appleby & Apache trailers from the 60s that may just do the trick!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 12:11pm
Yea wish it was that easy, more than likely I'll have that much or more in just materials .
That's cool that you can still get the top for those, it doesn't look like it would take a lot to make it work on a bantam or even the sears trailers.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Dave Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2016 at 1:55pm
I've been thinking about such cool plans forever. My problem is that I'm tall. I need an 80" bed (like a queen or long-boy double or twin). Often, the queen bed sold in RV's these days are what's called an RV Queen, which is what, 74" long? Anyway, more than 6' and less than 80".

My Spen trailer only has a 6' box, so any "pop-up" I design like these would created sides beds too short. Maybe laying a bed east west? (left to right), AFTER popping up?

Also, think about that structure. All heavy metal?

What about fold out plywood sides with hinged leg/supports that once out, provide the right size "platform" to simply set up a tent on? Buy a modern lightweight tent and set it up on the platform. Size the tent to your trailer size capability?

Cut the tent floor out where the box is and finish the edge so it doesn't fray. Maybe something like that?
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2016 at 7:43pm
As far as a mattress we've been using the inflatable kind. I think Coleman and others mfg. them. They are pretty darn comfortable compared to the old school mattresses. We keep several of them at our Cabin when the guests out number the Beds. Nobody complains. One or 2 of these might work for you.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 6:14pm
I haven't given up on this project, it's just moving super slow . The family that has the original Jiffy Camper contacted me and has been super helpful getting me pictures and measurements. The frames are actually much more complex than I would have thought, they aren't a normal dimensional steel, it's actually a folded and rolled steel. So I'm not going for a exact copy, mine is just 2x2 angle, and some old legs off a sign stand I got at the junk yard. I wasn't sure what to do for wire and springs, but a friend was changing his trampoline tarp so I thought I would try using it.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 7:35pm
Trampoline is a great idea and lightweight.

For tent I would definately lean toward tent/ awning material.

Google Sunbrella material for ideas on color and designs.....could make a neat little pop-up.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2018 at 9:07pm
My '47 Bantam came to me with some home-made "arches" and sides on it. The material for the top that came with it was no longer usable though. What was pretty ingenious was a PO cut a couple 4x4s diagonally and bolted them to the sloping sides of the tub to create a flat pair of mounts. Then he/she cut some 3/4" plywood carefully around the stake pockets (he used three sections) so he had a flat bunk surface.

Once that was done, he then had storage under the plywood and could put a mattress on top of the plywood.

You could...do roughly the same thing but make the rearward plywood section longer than the 72" of the bed so that when you arrived at camp, you unloaded the trailer, slid the rear section into position, bolted it through the side mounts and the sloping tub. this section would be the additional length you need to get it to 80". You still need to fabricate some kind of canvas top for your trailer or just use a big tarp and bungie cords you put up when you arrive at camp. You can't go down the highway with the canvas top UP or you will shorten its lifespan dramatically. You would need an additional rib section to hole the tarp up an additional 12-16 inches behind the trailer I think.

A little personal design preference might include an extended section and a couple poles to give you a covered area behind the trailer if you wanted it.

I slept in my Alaskan, but towed the Bantam with everyone's coolers and things that did not fit into their jeeps on a recent expedition to Hell and Gone and the dust was ridiculous...I believe if you intend on taking a Bantam into the boonies, that you insure that you can tarp the bed of the trailer to keep the dust and the rain OUT. You won't get it ALL out, but a trusty whisk broom (hand held) will help you with that. You don't want your mattress getting dusted!

I pre-loaded stuff into a couple beat up footlockers which protected my stuff from dust and served as tables in camp. They would fit just barely under the plywood if I had wo those sections fitted in place before departure.
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2019 at 4:55pm
IMG
Making a little more progress, finished the other bed frame and have started making the uprights. I think I may try to make something to steam bend the bows, the basic principles of doing it look somewhat easy.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 12:37am
Slowly getting there, started sewing together the top. Ended up using a heavy cotton canvas, it wasn’t my first choice but the price was right. I don’t have any specs on it but it seems to be the heavy tight weave stuff that is used for cotton tents, and seems to be naturally water resistant. From my research it will still need some treatment so I’m leaning towards Canvak.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 6:25pm
This how I understand that the original frames nested together, I may have messed up the bow bracket length though. I think they should extend into the trailer pockets, but I’ll make it work the way I have them, otherwise I’ll have to change the brackets on the uprights.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 2:20am
I needed to waterproof the wood parts and had some enamel sand paint left over, I thought it made a good period correct coating.
The end panel’s are coming together rather well but I’ve had some trouble with the window zipper, I probably should have stuck with the square design of the original. I just need to tackle the door now.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 1:47pm
Looking good!
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 10:09pm
Getting some more done, window screen, door and screen, bed frame covers, and tailgate step. Still have some things left but I’m actually starting think I may get this finished .
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2021 at 10:20pm
Looking good!.....I'm really liking this project. Clap
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2021 at 6:16pm
Thanks, I’m looking forward to trying it out soon.
My canvas finally ran out, used the last little bit to make the trailer cover.
I also cut down some wheel chocks to go into the back of the trailer, it’s not normally a feature these trailers had, I think this one was used by a telephone company because these were added and I found the remaining bell decals when I sanded the sides down, but they should come in handy.
1946 cj2a #28680
1993 yj, aka the yj7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>