Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 96>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 9:41am
Yeppers. Cliffhanger Tuesday, Pritchett Wednesday.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2018 at 12:45am
Ok. I'll go along for support to see how you and Stan do. My suggestion is if you can't drive Chewy unassisted you turn around. I think you have a chance at it, but I am not sure about Stan on the smaller tires. Once you are past Chewy there really isn't an easy out and I don't think winching up everything is the right choice......plus then Stan has to get up, and he doesn't have a winch. 

Brennan 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2018 at 2:03am
how did Bam Bam work with all the mods last week?
Jay
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

how did Bam Bam work with all the mods last week?

Not as good as I hoped. I lost first gear on the first day.    (gears being L-1-2-3). If you remember, that was the main reason for dropping my differentials to 4.56:1 was to get a 55-60:1 1st gear..... so my most important change, I didn't even get to try out.

I didn't notice any real gains in capability. At best, BAM BAM may have got a few "style points" for slow crawling some stuff but that is about it. He did win one slow crawl race so I guess the $3200 Rockeaters were worth it .... IDK because I didn't have first gear so I really don't know. Some situations, like "dill pickle" obstacle, granny is too slow and in second you are charging up the hill too fast. I couldn't lug second or I'd kill the engine.

I was able to slow crawl my way up the entrance to escalator for the first time. I think that is likely due to the 5" added wheelbase. Had the bowl not been full of water, I think I would have slow crawled that too but a slight bump in 2nd and I popped right out. That is one spot where I saw an improvement. With the 107:1 ratio, I was also able to go slow enough on Hell's Gate to keep my hood completely level the entire way... or at least it looked level from my vantage point. That's just style point though.

The first day, caused me to make some changes to my suspension geometry. My front was unloading too much and even inverting the shackles so I had to tie my winch to the front axle to limit the droop as seen in this pic by Brian Gabriel:

.... my rear shackles were squatting too far back and my tires were rubbing hard on my tool boxes in the wheel wells so I moved my front axle forward 1/2"

.... that seemed to take care of most of my suspension issues. My springs are squatting about an inch more than they were before the trip so I will likely put the leafs that I removed back in and see what I think. BAM BAM was flexy as all get-out:

.... but all of the jeeps made it through the obstacle so IDK. This was an area where the centered pumpkin caught me up a little. I was able to back up and bump over, but the offset pumpkin guys had no hitch. I noticed Fuzz got caught here too. (centered pumpkin).

Don't get me wrong, for me, it's not all about performance. One of my goals is to make as many changes as I can that still fool the novice jeep guy. I did have plenty of people ask me, "is it stock?", or say, "that's old school", so I feel like that went well and nobody noticed the 12" shocks in back. One guy thought my tires looked odd.

Along with loosing 1st gear, I also got a hole in the radiator, broke a front axle shaft, and broke the rear yoke on my differential. The front axle shaft broke due to sucking up a large rock into the front fender and locking up the wheel. I had a spare axle.

...... so now, I'm just trying to process what I learned and decide what my next move might be. I still need to put 10" shocks up front and do something to keep the front end from unloading up hill..... but other than changes for strength, I sort of feel like I've gone as far as I can go in the "Super Stock" class. Truthfully, I can't go anywhere the "Locker Stockers" can go. I may be able to look better doing it and not rub my belly as much ... and sometimes not look as good..... One reality that is sinking in is that if I want to keep taking BAM BAM places that a "stock flatty" doesn't belong, I have to have a more capable jeep and driver with me to help me if I get stuck. Not many winch points out in Moab. There was more stuff I wanted to do but just too risky by myself. IDK .... just trying to process it all. I guess the only thing left to add is more experience. That being said, the first day we were on the pickle, there were some Rubicons in front of us that had more trouble than we did going over "Dill Pickle" One guy who had what looked like 40" tires, had to be tugged after multiple attempts. Apparently his front locker wasn't working but then again, Ward did it in 3 wheel drive.

----------------

1st gear:

As I said earlier, first gear went out ..... again ....

This time, I modified my tunnel so that I don't have to pull the tranny to get the top off:

Once again, the shift fork was wore out. This time it was less than 6 months:

It dawned on my that perhaps my shift cane had too much slop in it and maybe the forks were not able to slide the cog far enough to click into position. Took the cane apart.

.... aparently, these grooves are supposed to have some sort of o-ring or other insulator to keep gear noise from being amplified by the cane. Most guys weld this up but since I have excessive gear harmonics in the cab, I decided to replace them with new o-rings...... What a difference! Now the tranny shifts much better and smoother. and a huge bonus is that the gear noise I have been experiencing seems to be gone! Today I drove BAM BAM to work. Normally my human cruise control kicks in when my ears hear a certain dB. Since changing to 4.56 gears, that speed is about 50 mph. This morning on the way in to work, I looked down and I was doing 60. Now I hear tires and a little muffler. No gears. When I got to work, I put the TC into low range and drove on the gravel in 3/low. Yes, there is low range gear noise but at a level that I feel is acceptable so rock on!

Edited by jpet - 06 Apr. 2018 at 2:13pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 2:28pm
Amazing jeep ,keep the pictures coming and the mods.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 2:49pm
JPet,

Awesome stock looking MB! 

I have seen shift forks wear because guys keep there hands on the tower all the time and load the yoke while they drive at speed.  Adds up overtime.  Probably not your issue if it happens in 6 months. Perhaps there is an alignment adjustment.

Reading our post on the suspension - An adjustable suspension might be something to design.  Hydraulic pump and a cylinder or two - things could be shortened, stiffened, limited and maybe lengthened.  

It is remarkable what you have done with this old Jeep.

Stev 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

...I have seen shift forks wear because guys keep there hands on the tower all the time and load the yoke while they drive at speed.  Adds up overtime.  Probably not your issue if it happens in 6 months. Perhaps there is an alignment adjustment....
I broke myself of that habit the first time it wore out. I'm thinking that taking the slop out will fix the issue. We shall see. If anything, at least it is easier to change now.

I also learned that unplugging my IAC after the jeep is warmed up has solved all my idle problems. Now BAM BAM will lug down and not try to compensate for stall. I can start the jeep in gear and it wont take off in high idle for 5 seconds. Just be sure to plug it back in when the system is supposed to be in low idle or it will mess up. I think I'm going to put a togggle switch on the wiring so I can shut it off in the cab.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 11:47pm
What's the verdict on the rear locker ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 12:43am
Bam Bam's got lockers?!    

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 1:53am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Bam Bam's got lockers?!
BAM BAM is mostly stock .... but if he did have a Detroit locker in the back, I would have to say that it worked very well and that I am quite pleased. Off-road, I felt no ill effect. No pushing, in the turn, no clicking, I like it so much, I think I will try one in the front. ... eventually. I was considering upgrading to 30 spline axles in the front but there is no 30 spline Detroit for Dana 30. Might go to a D44 front .... IDK ... thinking. I will say that there is a lot of slip slop in this locker (by design). No big deal really but you don’t want to dump the clutch on it in any gear.

Drove into Effingham this afternoon and then home. I can’t believe how quiet this tranny is since I fixed up the cane shifter. Surprising actually how much noise the stick was amplifying.

Edited by jpet - 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:11am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:00am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

....I will say that there is a lot of slip in this locker (by design). No big deal really but you don’t want to dump the clutch on it in any gear.... 

Do you mean freeplay?  Detroits don't slip at all, but there is a little slop in them that you can sometimes feel as a "clunk" when you get on or off the gas (people with automatic trannies don't notice this near as much).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:09am
“Slop”. Typo.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 1:06pm

“Slop”. Typo.

I guess I should have guessed that, especially since I even used the word "slop" in my post.

.... but if he did have a Detroit locker in the back, I would have to say that it worked very well and that I am quite pleased. Off-road, I felt no ill effect. No pushing, in the turn, no clicking, I like it so much, I think I will try one in the front. ... eventually.... 

Do you notice any difference between the Detroit and the LockRight?  (I know you haven't had a LockRight yourself, but I think a few of the Jeeps you 'wheel with have them, Grampa's Jeep at least.)  

I've had both, but they were in very different vehicles (Detroit in CJ5 and Bronco rear axles, LockRight in both axles of an F-150 and the rear of a friend's S-10 extended cab).  In my experience there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Detroit and LockRight as far as what the driver feels.  The rear LockRight in the F-150 had the least perceived slop and torque steer, but that was the biggest of the 4 vehicles and the only one with an auto trans, so I've always attributed it to that.  I didn't drive the S-10 much, but it seemed to feel pretty similar to the Detroits in my smaller, manual trans rigs.

I'll also say that I didn't care for the torque steer with a LockRight in the front axle of the F-150.  Once I had it I'd have lived with it for slow speed driving (like rock-crawling), but I did find it annoying enough to drive on low speed forest roads that I decided to go with a selectable in the front axle of my Bronco.  Grampa's Jeep (and Gus?) has a LockRight in the front.  Do you think the Detroit would be much different there?
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:12pm
I've never used a Lock Rite. I assume they have have matching characteristics. I've heard Stan's click in the turn as well as Rick's. Not sure how a Lock Right works. A Detroit actually opens up in a turn so the parts don't wear over time. No ratcheting. Mainly, I want the Detroit for its reputation. I've read about Lock Rite issues, (even on this forum), but the Detroit has a reputation of being bullet proof.

I'm quite happy with a rear Detroit and front elocker, but I'd like to try a Detroit up front just to see for myself if the simplicity and reliability of two automatics, trumps the handling characteristics of selectables. I've read all the yay and nay. I'd just like to form my own opinion. The next step would be to try auto front and selectable rear. I realize that the common thought is to go select/auto, or open/auto. I think for turning, it's important that one of the lockers is selectable. Whether it is front or rear is not so important but after careful observation last week, especially of the jeeps on the pickle, I can kinda see Metcalf's point on auto/select. That might be the best combo for just driving around off-road without thinking about lockers. The front has to climb the obstacle before the rear, but as you climb, the weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle and the front end get light. The front end needs the locker assistance because there is not enough weight to "plant" both tires on the surface you are climbing. The rear tires have all the weight so they don't need as much help. In fact, the front is actually pulling the rear tires into the obstacle for even more force. This is what I was observing on the FFFFR.... but I'd like to find out for myself. Mileage may vary.

On a side note, I broke a front axle shaft at BFE, After getting tugged from the obstacle and going to 2WD (rear locker), I drove Minor Threat and Green Day with hardly any assistance in 2WD.

Edited by jpet - 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:14pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:20pm
I wonder if a rear automatic locker would actually cause your tires to wear more on a daily driver. Technically, even when driving straight, I think you are still in 1 wheel drive because the rear tires are not the exact same diameter. So wouldn't the smaller tire be doing all the driving and the larger tire try to overspeed or ratchet forward? ....and, consequently, if the smaller tire is doing all the driving, it would wear faster and keep getting smaller yet?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:37pm
The clutches in a LockRight do snap back and forth against each other as you turn, but it's not under any load then, so I don't think it causes much wear.  I think the main thing against them strength-wise is that they still use the stock carrier while a Detroit or Grizzly has a carrier that was engineered to be used like that.

And yes, you are essentially in 1 wheel drive all the time with a rear locker.  I've always rotated my tires, so I think that helps even it out.  And I've never felt like I've had particularly bad tire life.  But a rear locker can't be HELPING tire life! (edit:  I was thinking specifically of automatic lockers when I wrote this.  As Jpet mentions later, a selectable is a different animal.)

I can see Metcalf's point as well, but I think I'm still going to prefer rear automatic / front selectable.  As you noted, just a rear automatic does do really well, so I haven't needed a front locker yet, and don't expect to need one much in the future (but it'll be fun to have it available now).  And even though I can see how front automatic / rear selectable might work better in more extreme cases, I think the annoyance of a front automatic the rest of the time would make that still too unattractive for me.  But those are just my thoughts and opinions.  I really like hearing what other people think!

Edited by Nothing Special - 07 Apr. 2018 at 6:57pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 2:58pm
Some information that may or may not mean anything.

I have noticed that when I am moving Grampa’s Jeep on clean concrete in 2wd and I need to tun, the tires leave black tire tread marks, even with the front tires that are not driving. I have drive flanges, so they are always engaged with the differential, just not with the transfer case, 
I’ll try to pay a little more attention to this to see if the outside mark seems darker or different than the inside.  Won’t be soon though. Raining here now with not much let up predicted all week.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

....And yes, you are essentially in 1 wheel drive all the time with a rear locker.  I've always rotated my tires, so I think that helps even it out. 
That wouldn't help. The smallest tire is always driving. If you move it to the opposite side, it is still driving, just from the other side. Perhaps it would pay to take turns over inflating a tire from side to side to adjust for wear?
Quote .... And I've never felt like I've had particularly bad tire life....
I suppose that is all that matters
Quote ... But a rear locker can't be HELPING tire life!...
... If the locker is selectable, there wouldn't be an issue.

Speaking strictly in off-road conditions, I think (auto/select) vs (select/auto) debate is somewhat insignificant since in both cases, you still have two lockers for any extreme condition and whether it is (auto/open) or (open/auto) you can still make tight turns ..... but if your goal is to flip a switch the least amount of times on a trail, my gut feeling is that (auto/select) might be better.   I would like to find out for myself though. I'm also very open minded on the subject. Snow covered pavement is a different issue, but now that I have a 4wd truck, I might be willing to forego driving my jeep in the snow and ice if I can gain an advantage off-road.

Edited by jpet - 07 Apr. 2018 at 3:58pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 96>