Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 96>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:09pm
Why not use the 1" tubular webbing chafe guard to take most of the wear?

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Why not use the 1" tubular webbing chafe guard to take most of the wear?
That’s how I have it now:

..... while I was at it, I sewed a custom strap on my sewing machine that I can use if I’m ever in a situation where I’m winching a lot and it’s not practical to keep hooking and unhooking the winch line from the axle:

Edited by jpet - 03 June 2018 at 8:03pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:05pm
I'd just keep an eye on it. When the chafe guard starts to look meh just replace it. Cheap and pretty easy.

What I am more curious about is why the chassis feels like it needs a suck down winch....

Mine is similar generally and will use all the travel out of the 10" shocks. The travel bias is pretty similar these days with the spring sag. Mine seems rock steady on stupid big climbs, I've never even thought about having a suck down winch on it.....

So what is different? Suspension? Weight bias?

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:59pm

....So what is different? Suspension? Weight bias?
Idk but if I allow my axle to go to full droop my u-joint will bind at the transfercase. I have ground the yoke to get rid of this binding as much as I can.

Really, I'm just experimenting. I compare BAM BAM's performance to Grandpa's Jeep. I have followed GJ up some climbs where even though we both make it, GJ seems to do it with less effort. The only significant difference I can see is center of gravity. At EJS, I had an unloading issue that was obvious. 2 weeks later on Cliffhanger with a suckdown winch, I felt like BAM BAM just ate the trail alive. Granted, two different trails, two different days. I didn't take the time to try the same obstacle with or without suckdown winch.

Some of these changes are so hard to gauge. I felt like BAM BAM's performance on Cliffhanger was noticeably better than it had been during EJS but what was the factor? IDK. Some of it is more experience I suppose. In the end, I may just end up with a fixed limit strap but for now, I want something to play with, but to reiterate, my drive line will break without some sort of limiter.

Edit: Perhaps Chewy Hill would be a good spot for comparison.

Edited by jpet - 05 June 2018 at 4:15pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:27pm
Quote  I have ground the yoke to get rid of this binding as much as I can.
Jeff is this your upper D20 yoke that binds ?
What type of yoke you running ? 
Standard type output yoke like a differential input or a companion flange type of yoke or ????
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:33pm
Front yoke. Stock Spicer:

The rusty area is where I ground the yoke for relief.

This is a double cardan style yoke that I use as a single.

Edited by jpet - 05 June 2018 at 4:37pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:47pm
Oh   I see ...front yoke !
Normally the front yoke is rarely a concern because the front propeller shaft tends to be very much longer.
So roughly how long is this front propeller shaft assembly ?

Hmmm not much I know of to fix that one.
You must have gobs of front end travel.

Did you also grind on the slip yoke end ?
That slip yoke looks to be pretty thick...

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:58pm
... The u-joint is not a problem because I have the limit strap/winch up front. I only want droop side to side. I really don't want the whole axle to droop that much or it all unloads going uphill..... do I?

I feel like my side to side flex is as much as will fit in the tub. If I go any more, I would have to make more clearance in the fenders and fender wells.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I compare BAM BAM's performance to Grandpa's Jeep. I have followed GJ up some climbs where even though we both make it, GJ seems to do it with less effort. The only significant difference I can see is center of gravity.
The difference i see in these two jeeps is that Bam Bam's driver does it with many more style points, slow crawling many obstacles. This can,  at times, cause a little more tire slippage 
Grampa's Jeep's driver has more of a tendancy to point the headlights at the obstacle and apply more skinny pedal. This results in what may look like an easier time on the obstacle, but is not really, and it's not nearly as stylish.

Edited by smfulle - 05 June 2018 at 8:31pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:09pm
Then just put some chain links between center of front axle tube and frame to keep from full droop of  front wheels simultaneously.
You can quickly adjust the number of links used for droop till you get it dialed in ???
That should still allow the front to full droop one side at a time and eliminate the possibility of shackle inversion

Edited by oldtime - 05 June 2018 at 5:14pm
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Then just put some chain links between center of front axle tube and frame to keep from full droop of  front wheels simultaneously.
You can quickly adjust the number of links used for droop till you get it dialed in ???
That should still allow the front to full droop one side at a time and eliminate the possibility of shackle inversion...
... or I can use a suckdown winch
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:58pm
Is that a 1200 series or 1310 front u-joint?

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:28pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:35pm

... The u-joint is not a problem because I have the limit strap/winch up front. I only want droop side to side. I really don't want the whole axle to droop that much or it all unloads going uphill..... do I?

I feel like my side to side flex is as much as will fit in the tub. If I go any more, I would have to make more clearance in the fenders and fender wells.

A suck down winch on the front suspension is just another tool in the toolbox. In some places it will help, in others it can hurt. Learning when to use it, and when not to will be the fun part. I have a few friends that run them on their built TJs. I built a mount for one on my new LX45 project.

Having the suspension drop out can help with breakover angle and when you get turtled out on the belly.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:20pm

...Learning when to use it, and when not to will be the fun part.
Yup, At this point it is not always easy to tell when one of the changes I make helps or not because I have more experience the second and third time I try the obstacle.

Quote Having the suspension drop out can help with breakover angle and when you get turtled out on the belly.
Yup. I don't know my shock terminology but my front shocks are rancho and they just resist force, My rear Bilstens push open on their own (whatever that's called)I like that characteristic about them. Eventually, I'd like to change the fronts out to the same thing but I don't want any more lift up front. I wonder how that would work if I used the winch to maintain my ride height, suck it down when climbing hills (if needed) and then let it droop when I'm in a rock garden.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:14pm
just side note on u-joints. 

Tom Woods makes a pretty slick offset joint that solves many bind issues. I’ve used them and they work! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 9:34pm

...Learning when to use it, and when not to will be the fun part.
Yup, At this point it is not always easy to tell when one of the changes I make helps or not because I have more experience the second and third time I try the obstacle.

Quote Having the suspension drop out can help with breakover angle and when you get turtled out on the belly.
Yup. I don't know my shock terminology but my front shocks are rancho and they just resist force, My rear Bilstens push open on their own (whatever that's called)I like that characteristic about them. Eventually, I'd like to change the fronts out to the same thing but I don't want any more lift up front. I wonder how that would work if I used the winch to maintain my ride height, suck it down when climbing hills (if needed) and then let it droop when I'm in a rock garden.

Shock terminology. Basically gas charged vs a pure hydraulic shock. Having the spring/shock force the suspension down is generally called 'preload'

You want to maintain some droop in the suspension front ride height for going down the road. Having no downtravel could get pretty funky pretty quick. Riding on a limiting strap full time at ride height doesn't seem advantageous overall for ride quality.

I'd just leave the suck down slack 99.9% of the time. Try everything without it first, then if you don't make it try dialing some in. I don't see THAT many situations it is going to be a make it or break it thing. Maybe something as steep as the bottom of Axle hill on Pritchett with the short wheelbase. The downside is that it will keep the front end from articulating more as the weight transfers to the rear as you are climbing. It can also kill breakover angle on the crest a bit. If the climb is level side to side it will be ok, but if the front axle needs to articulate you will pick one front tire up sooner. With lockers this isn't a huge deal, but having all the tires on the ground probably gives you more forward traction.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 5:45pm
It sounds to me like maybe you need adjustable front shocks with more rebound damping or perhaps position sensitive damping (more $$).  I run travel limiters on both sides of the rear of my SCab (not a Willys) but it's the Fox shocks that do all the heavy lifting.

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 96>