Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 96>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 3:41pm
You should have had someone print you one of those see through vinyl window stickers for the lower part of the windshield. Something you could see through a bit, but from the outside it could look mostly olive drab with a logo or name or whatever.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 2:33am

I’m not sure if I like this window or not. I need to come up with a better way to fasten it in that is quick and easy. For now, I made these blocks:

Oh well. It’s R&D anyway so I’ll change I later. For now, I just want to get it back on the road.

The cage, I am very well pleased with. I have wanted to do this for quite some time and I’m glad it’s finished. I like that I will be able to run with no glass in front and still use the summer top. No more crashing my windshield and much more visibility.   I’m thinking I will also make a vinyl window that can be stretched over the frame For the times that I don’t want to carry the poly window with me.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 2:53am
Amazing work Jeff! Have you thought about an inner windshield frame that could tilt out? I think the upper windshield channel is available.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:18am
Yes. In the summer, I think I may just use a piece of poly with no gasket. Then I’m just going to use a set of clamps with the slides like a sxs. That way I can push it out or tilt it for ventilation. I really have a lot to think about on the window but I’m sure glad the frame is finished.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:20am
I dig it, but those 'NDT's are starting to look like narrow Krawlers ;)
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:33am
Yup. The biggest disadvantage to them is that now the enemy can tell which way I’m going
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 4:32pm
I must say Jeff, you told us what you wanted to do for a windshield frame at the Fall Reunion and I just wasn't seeing it. Now that I see the final product I have to say you are an artist. I just didn't think you could make it look "original" at first glance. Job well done sir.

-Alan
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 7:45pm
Another thing positive, your windshield angle won't be changing any time soon! Thumbs Up

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 10:03pm
Any thoughts that a poly windshield won't be legal for highway travel. I believe safety glass is required in most states.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Any thoughts that a poly windshield won't be legal for highway travel. I believe safety glass is required in most states.
Fltfndr

That's an interesting question.  I've definitely heard that safety glass is required in windshields.  But I also know that windshields aren't required at all, at least in Minnesota, and I'm thinking in most other states.  Minnesota requires that the driver's eyes be protected, and a safety glass windshield is one way to do that.  But glasses, or goggles, or a face shield are fine too.  And the windscreen (poly) on a motorcycle fairing covers the requirement.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Fltfndr

That's an interesting question.  I've definitely heard that safety glass is required in windshields.  But I also know that windshields aren't required at all, at least in Minnesota, and I'm thinking in most other states.  Minnesota requires that the driver's eyes be protected, and a safety glass windshield is one way to do that.  But glasses, or goggles, or a face shield are fine too.  And the windscreen (poly) on a motorcycle fairing covers the requirement.

Yes, I have thought about it. It is probably illegal in some areas. I am not too concerned about the county I live in or the surrounding counties because sxs are also illegal to drive on the roads but everybody does it and all the cops ignore them. It’s like an unofficial exception. Of course an sxs can cruise as fast as a willys with poly windshield.   The law in Illinois also requires a front license plate but I’ve never had one and I drive past cops all the time.   I still have the option of making a glass insert too.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 12:58am
I believe “Safety Glass” is the only approved “Glass” for a windsheild!, in most cases poly is probably fine, the drawback to poly on an automotive windsheild is that it scratches easily, probably why it’s not used in automotive applications.

MHO, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 1:11am
I probably would not get in trouble for it unless I was pulled over for something else.

Yes it scratches easy but the good thing is that you can have more than one window. One to take off-road that gets scuffed up and one for street use. ... and like I said, I can also make a glass window if needed.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 1:20am
Jeff, 'Frankies' poly windshield is going on 10yrs now. Although not driven as much as yours it's holding up fine.

It does scratch but the biggest thing to remember is just flood it with water when you clean it.....microfiber towel would probably be a good idea too.

I like your idea of a 'trail' one and a 'street' one too.

The frame looks nice.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 3:01am
If your gonna have glass it needs to be safety glass. Motorcycles are also motor vehicles. That have polycarbonate windshields. If it’s ok on a bike at 80 it ought to be ok on a Jeep at 60. I use a spray cleaner called slip stream on the bike windshield. Made for airplanes which also sometimes  have polycarbonate windshields. I’ve scrubbed a lot of bugs off of it and it’s no worse for it. Makes it shed water to like rainx 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 3:12am
Isn't polycarbonate available with a scratch-resistant coating?  Somebody was selling poly windshields about 20 years ago and they advertised a scratch-"proof" coating, as I recall...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 6:25pm
If c-channels are made for the opening you can notch the middle and have the glass in halves with a removable channel in the middle. Slide the glass in from opposite sides and the smaller pane is easier to carry.
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 8:35pm
Meguiars make a couple of products you might want to take a look at for the windshield.  Motorcycle Cleaner/Polish MC20506 and PlastX G12310.
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 96>