Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 96>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

.... It would be nice to be able to make the back of the seat as thin as practical to be able to tuck it close to the front of the wheel tub. Kane's modded aluminum seats have SOOO much more cabin room vs my suspension seats. I'd like to find a happy medium. ...

I used a gel filled cushion:

Buliding A Universal Modified (page 81)

I sewed these into the seat cushions and it is by no means a lazyboy but it is a night and day difference in comfort where you can still keep the cushion thin. I put a 1/2" thick exercise mat underneath this cushion and sewed it into a cover. My cushion is less than 2" thick. Again, no lazyboy but still way better than any other 2" thick cushion and allows for more leg room. I did notice in the winter that this cushion retains cold temperatures for a while but not that bad. After all, it is an old jeep.

No, I wouldn't change anything, I like the looks, I like the comfort, I like the leg room. Originally, I was going to make some cushions for the sides, but after using them all season, I don't feel a need for them. I also like the 1" tubing for sides because it is easy to attach custom holders for your stuff such as drink, phone, radio, e.t.c. with 1" clamp collars. This system has also been fully tested in a roll over. Approved

Edited by jpet - 24 July 2019 at 6:39pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 10:11pm
Bomber Seats are cool.  More Jeep Envy.  A headrest / whiplash pad could probably be attached to the horizontal roll bar / brace behind the seats.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 1:47pm
Thought I'd bring this thread up to speed.

Earlier, you may remember that I have been getting hung up on my rear spring hangers:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/FORUMS/building-a-universal-modified_topic28473_post450995.html#450995

.... so I had new springs made for the rear. I went from 48" long with a 4" pin offset to 44" long with all 4" taken off the front so now my rear springs are symmetrical. The holes in the frame show how I have been shortening my springs again and again over the years:

I have lost a little travel but body roll was also a problem so I think it's a good thing. The suspension was thoroughly tested at Windrock last weekend and I was able to keep up with the bigger rigs and I never felt like I was in a situation where I needed more travel. One thing I have learned by watching Ward and Rick is that sometimes, less travel is a good thing. (Some of you probably already knew this).

That pic is a repost but that Is with the new springs and swaybar still attached. I also wasn't slamming my cage into trees at Windrock which has been a problem in the past so for now, I'm pretty satisfied.

SM465:

Anyone who has followed this thread is familiar with the tranny problems I have had throughout the years. lots of gear noise which I thought was the transfer case, vibration in the cane shifter and tc shifters, 1st gear shift fork wearing out in months, low range high gear was so loud, I could hardly stand it. Finally, I decided to stop being lazy and do a real inspection. Turns out that my output bearing was shot:

.... upon further inspection, 1st gear and the bushing were shot:

.... that explains alot .... anywho, since I pulled the tranny, I decided to replace my leaky rear main seal and put some sound deadener in the tranny tunnel. Now my tranny and TC are amazingly quiet. No more vibration out of the cane shifter and tc shifters. The noise in low range is gone. I can hardly hear the difference between low range and hi range and low range hi gear just sound like a normal flatty. I can't believe I put up with that noise for so long. Also, with the new rear main seal, BAM BAM does not need diapers anymore:

... it's nice to get a win. Oh, and I moved my radios so I don't have to fear deep water so much:

Thanks for reading.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by jpet - 04 Sep. 2019 at 2:06pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 6:34pm
Good stuff!

Have you given any more thought into frenching the rear spring hangers now that the springs are a little shorter? I think having the spring bolt even with the bottom surface of the frame could help a lot. That is one thing I am really looking at with the new springs I am working on. That is my number one snag point, especially on big ledges. The front doesn't seem to matter nearly as much.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 7:14pm

….Have you given any more thought into frenching the rear spring hangers now that the springs are a little shorter?....
I've thought about it but right now, I'm still experimenting on spring length. You saw all the holes in my frame where I have moved my springs. I would want to be pretty well decided before I start Frenching spring hangers because it's not so easy to move them.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

….Have you given any more thought into frenching the rear spring hangers now that the springs are a little shorter?....
I've thought about it but right now, I'm still experimenting on spring length. You saw all the holes in my frame where I have moved my springs. I would want to be pretty well decided before I start Frenching spring hangers because it's not so easy to move them.

Yup, I hear ya.

I still think with your limited tire size that the frenched hangers and a flatter belly would be a good way to make some pretty big gains in performance. I know I wish I could get the belly on my flatty flat rail to rail with a smoother  transition to the rear tire. It would be so nice to be able to slide on the belly, the new truck is way better that way. I'd also love to play around with some AR, Hardox, or XT100 steel.....or some thick UHMWPE for a belly pan.

Most of the performance gains in the good ol' flat fender package ( especially with your cool rules for tires and look ) are going to be small mods here and there. Even those projects can be almost endless as you well know. I've even thought about stuff as small as frenching the spring hangers on the axle tube in a bit to gain clearance relative to the axle center line. I obsess.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2019 at 3:36am
Hi all,

Here is a video of BAM BAM in Carnage Canyon during the FCT:

.... thanks to the Evans family for shooting the footage. The Exit at the end of this video is no joke and as I describe in the video comments, it was a beat down for BAM BAM. Two flat tires, and ripped a spring hanger at the frame webbing. In other words, good fun I’m going to do some detailed videos of Blueberry and Olive Oyl as well so stay tuned for that.

Here are a couple shots of BAM BAM at Rockfest last weekend where he shows his authority over Clint’s 1500 hp rock bouncer with 46” tires:

..... yup. That’s the way I remember it .... anywho .... today I did some inspection to see why my power steering pump pulley is now touching the gearbox on the frame and my steering column shafts are touching the side of the motor in flex situations:

These pieces of angle iron are clamped to the sides of the frame and show that my frame is twisted allowing the motor to sit lower:

I don’t understand how this happened!! I’ve always tried to be so careful!

The method used to straighten this out was to weld some strong angles to the sides and draw them straight with an all-thread:

Much better:

Tomorrow, I hope to add some reinforcement so that this doesn’t happen again. Thanks for reading.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2019 at 12:09pm
Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! Thumbs Up Maybe you should just stick with the easy trails from now on! LOL

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2019 at 4:36pm
Some sort of record for running Carnage Canyon in your tire size?  That exit out the top is pretty intimidating, having had the opportunity to stare into it from Chinaman!
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 1:37am
Wow
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 4:21am
I said this to Jeff in person.
I am always a bit envious when I see Jeff wheeling somewhere and I’m not there on the trail with him. After watching the Carnage Canyon video I can say that,in this case, I am glad I wasn’t there, at least not in the drivers seat. Riding along would have been fun but my arms started aching just watching all that wheel work.
Impressive run!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 3:02pm
Another shot from Rockfest:

.... still trying to figure out how my frame gets bent
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 3:13pm
Someday the mountain may git ‘em, but the law never will....😎
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Goot-jeet-jeet, I luv it I luv it!!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Just a good ole boy, never meanin no harm.....Wink

Mike
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2019 at 2:58am
The fact that you’ve built a flatfender that can run all the trails you run but has never lost the ultimate flatfender look,that every flatfender with a long frame and big tires lost, is fantastic!!

In my mind Bam/Bam is the ultimate rockcrawler!!

Thanks for sharing your awesome adventures. 

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2019 at 8:40pm
Okay Jpet,
Carnage Canyon looked brutal!Shocked   It was painful to watch, but awesome at the same time.  I think I may be emotionally scared by that....Wink
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2019 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

The fact that you’ve built a flatfender that can run all the trails you run but has never lost the ultimate flatfender look,that every flatfender with a long frame and big tires lost, is fantastic!!

This, absolutely!  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 96>