Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 949596
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2022 at 1:33pm
The 30 spline axles are stock, whatever that material is.   I’ve have two different rear axles under this Jeep. I started with a centered pumpkin and now, the offset. Both axles in both assemblies have twisted splines.

Y’know, I’m not sure what the rotors are from. They came with the unfinished project. They also go on the back side of the axle flange.

The calipers are GM truck fronts like from to 80s.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 10:06pm
The reason I went with the rear selectable locker was so I could install cutting brakes:

I think these would work better if I could disconnect the rear drive shaft. They don’t work on dry surfaces very good but I’ve learned that on slick or loose surfaces, they are very effective. Here is a sample:

... this creek bed is narrow and snakes back and forth with trees on the edges. The cutting brakes help me to stay against the banks   They are a game changer when scrambling through the trees after the ATVs. They work real good with a little momentum.

Edited by jpet - 25 June 2022 at 10:07pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:32am
Those rotors are Raybestos 3550R or equivalent.
Normally found in a late 70's CJ with heavy duty front disks. They use the chevy K10 bracket and caliper.

On the cutting brakes, what keeps fluid from going back into the master cylinder?

Edited by Jw60 - 01 Oct. 2022 at 7:33am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2022 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

…..On the cutting brakes, what keeps fluid from going back into the master cylinder?
the rear brake line feeds both the left and right cutting brake cylinder. When you press the brake pedal, the fluid goes past the cutting brakes cylinders and activates the calipers. If you pull the handle on either cutting brake, the respective cylinder draws fluid from the master cylinder and forces it into the respective caliper. They work even better if you first touch the brake pedal to fill the caliper, then pull a cutting brake handle.

Not sure if that answers your question.

Edited by jpet - 01 Oct. 2022 at 8:22pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2022 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

Those rotors are Raybestos 3550R or equivalent.
Normally found in a late 70's CJ with heavy duty front disks. They use the chevy K10 bracket and caliper.

On the cutting brakes, what keeps fluid from going back into the master cylinder?
Those look like the 2 bolt caliper version used from 78 to about 81 on the D30.  The 6 bolt version is deeper.  I think the Raybestos # is 3552R.  The rotor thickness would be definitive.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

. . . .  I won't be taking this one off road anywhere that I wouldn't take a stock MB.

Funny how things change over time.   I was looking thru the early pages of this thread for something and came across the above quote Jeff made in 2014
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 949596