Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Bumpers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bumpers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bumpers
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 1:05am
OK...I'm just "beginning the quest" for a new bumper...and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with any of the vendors' products out there? I've found a couple listed as being for 2As, including Peter DeBella and Classic Enterprises, and Ron Fitzpatrick has one for the MB that _looks_ pretty good, although it appears to have only the hand-crank hole. (The ends DO appear to have the slight curve, however!)...but are any of these "right"?

Unfortunately, the "Bumper" section on the Parts Project area is currently empty, so there's no help there, and I haven't been able to find any threads here that point out specific vendors and the merits of their particular bumper, so I'm wondering...what have you found?

Thanks!
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 1:32am
the MB bumpers are different than 2A bumpers...how soon do you think you will need 1? i have  few that are worthy of using, i just haven't made up my mind yet which one i am going to use...lol
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 1:33am
I bought one from Classic and was disapointed. It's been a couple of years so I'm not sure why I returned it.  I do remember that the metal was thicker than my original, but upon further inspection of other originals, I found a variety of different thicknesses. I'm a bit of a purist so I ended grinding off welds and straightening my bent up original. I might have returned it because of a difference in the number and/or hole locations, so pay attention to that on the repro bumper.
BTW - When I called classic about the bumper I bought and they gladly accepted my return without any hassels. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 1:35am
Thanks Low...I'm "thinking ahead", since it will definitely be "a while", so there's no rush from here. I appreciate your offer, and I'll happily take you up on it!

Now...what ARE the differences? Any idea? As I said, the pic on Ron's page _looks_ right, except for the "missing holes". Oh yeah...the MBs did have a wood block on the back, didn't they? Does that make a difference in the metal portion, though?
Seeya!

<Jack>

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 1:41am
I hear you on the thickness, Joe...and since Low says that there IS a difference between the MB and the CJ, and Pete is selling one that he lists as being for a 2A, but...he has also told me in the past that his approach is usually to sell a part that was originally for his military side of things for the civilian side as well...so it may well be "wrong" too.

As for "grinding off welds", my Jeep's PO welded a 24" long piece of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron onto the front face, and mounted three (!) trailer balls on that..and it was a continuous weld! I don't really want to try to tackle that if I can avoid it...and to add to the problems, he apparently also tried to pull something with chains, as well, so you KNOW what the top flange looks like! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 3:51am
I got mine from Beechwood, it had the crank hole and the holes for the bolts that go to the frame, the others I had to drill (the ones for the ag weight, I think) Seemed to me at the time that the extra holes were the only difference between the military and civilian so they only had the ones without the holes, it was easy enough to drill them . (even though I'll probably never bolt anything there)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 9:00am
 I got mine from Peter Debella fit perfect...
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 3:04pm
got mine from jim at northstar.  no complaints, every hole lined right up.

eric
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 5:13pm
Has been discussed before.  Walcks claims to have "correct" front bumpers.  I believe someone here got one and said it's right on.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2049
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 5:30pm
Thanks Sean, buttttt....Walck's eBay ads that were referenced in that thread? Well, he listed an "early", and a "late" ("Front bumper 1945-48 CJ2A up to serial # 215649.")...so what was the difference? He apparently still has the "late" version, but even as late as my Jeeps are, they're apparently "early" by that definition!

BTW...those "rivet-bolts" are pretty neat! Gonna have to get some, I guess!
Seeya!

<Jack>

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 6:08pm
Jack:

"Early" vs "late" is relative to the part in question, and when it changed.

The early bumper required gussets between frame & bumper. Used up to #215649

The late bumper bolts directly to the frame.

Sean
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2007 at 10:53pm
Quote: "he early bumper required gussets between frame & bumper. Used up to #215649"

Duh. I knew that! <sheepish grin>

Thanks Sean. I'm glad that you can keep me "on course" around here!
Seeya!

<Jack>

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 3:37pm
Now, in an effort to "fan this fire" just a little...does anybody happen to have the "official" dimensions for an "early" 2A bumper. My own measurements would make it a 2" x 4" (outside) x 41" channel. Does that check out, or is mine a replacement? What holes, sizes, locations, etc? I'd do a drawing of what I've got, but I'm beginning to think that the cleanest one I've got may well be an after-market. It's got some "extra" holes out at the ends, below the centerline, and I have no idea what they're for. Also some other "extraneous" holes in it in various places. Would be nice to nail this down, and post it in the Parts Project, don'tcha think?

Sean: As the "resident engineer" here, have you got, or ever done any drawings of this? I'm not asking you do create one, if you haven't, but I'd sure like to avoid reinventing the wheel, if they already exist.

Thanks.
Seeya!

<Jack>

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 3:55pm
Jack,
I got a real nice straight on from Tony at the Reunion. I'll do a little drawing and make a post in the parts project. Wink
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 4:43pm
Jack:

I don't have the dimensions offhand, but I can get 'em a bit later.

The arrows are factory holes in a '46 bumper.

This early '46 bumper is considerably thicker gauge steel than the late '47.  That much was obvious just by weight.  I'll get that measurement too.

Sean
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 5:23pm
Great Gary! I saw that you have posted some pics of a GREAT-looking bumper (wanna sell it?<g>), along with your drawings and dimensions...and Sean's pic is a big help as well...and his bumper looks more like mine, in having some "extra" holes! <g>

In the meantime, and for purposes of getting others to confirm or disagree, I've "sketched" out a measured drawing of the better of my bumpers:

How does this compare to what others have. (And mine has those "extra" holes, but I didn't include them in this drawing!)
Seeya!

<Jack>

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 5:34pm
Nice drawing Jack! Hopefully I'll be able to find you when I need an architect for my new house in Ireland Wink All I'm waiting for is to sell my Gulfstream 5 and I should have the down payment.
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 5:37pm
Thanks Matt! <g> I'll have to make a few site visits, of course! Otherwise, the fee will probably be less'n a milion (and hey! The exchange rate is GREAT right now, from that side o' th' pond! <g>)
Seeya!

<Jack>

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>