Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Trading Post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buy or swap for your 3a tub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buy or swap for your 3a tub
    Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:12am
Perhaps a long shot but you don’t know if you don’t ask.
I have two 3B tubs, a 1953 and a 1960.
Both are in decent repairable condition.
I’d like to swap either one of them for a good repairable 3A tub.
Or if your selling a decent 3A tub contact me.
Not interested in a MB,2A, M38 nor DJ3.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

WoollyBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoollyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:05pm
I'm not sure if our tub is a 3A or a 2A.  I know the windshield is a 3A...this tub has no plate...how can I tell if it's a 3A as well?  It's original color is Normandy Blue and I think that was a little later than the 2A.  There is some rust out on the floor...new steel has been welded for the floor, but some rust out at a couple of places remains.We do have the fenders for this tub, too. Front grille has chrome bezels on headlights and flush mount parking lights. 
 Is your 3B the high hood flat fender for 53 that would accommodate the OHV engine?   That's what's been put in this Jeep on a CJ2A frame...it's pretty cobbled up! Thanks, Barb

Edited by WoollyBear - 14 May 2020 at 9:09pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:25am
Jeep in your pic has a 2a tub.
It has bow pockets on side of tub.
The top of 2a rear wheelhouse measures 34”.
The top of 3a rear wheelhouse measures 32”.
There are several other minor differences too.
The 3b tub itself is near identical to a 3a except the cowl is 4-5/8” taller and that changes the shape of the dash.

I think perhaps I now have a 3a tub located ?
If so I will sell one of my 3b tubs.
I am just west of St Louis.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoollyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:56am
Thank you for clarifying.  The rear wheel wells are just about 33 3/4.   The dash does have just the one long plate rather than the 3a on the 2a.  Maybe this was during the transitional time.  Please let me know when you are ready to list the 3b tub...I don't know if that will be our solution or not to this engine sway we're working around.  All the best...and happy Jeeping!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:06am
  Only the very early CJ2-A's ('45, maybe into early '46? I'm not well-versed in the early changes, my forte is more in the "what changed in '48" area.) had the three tags on the dash. All the rest had the single, long, plate.  BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:38am
The odd thing about this 2A is it has a 3A driver seat frame. Perplexed.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:09am
Willys seems to have done some strange things over the years.
We often find a few exceptions to the standards.
I bought a 1951 with remnants of a notable strange tub.
Basically seemed to be a 2a tub that had drivers side pioneer tool indents and minus the bow pockets.
It was all in extremely poor shape by the time I laid claim to it. 
But it did have a perfect title and that was all I wanted.Wink

Edited by oldtime - 15 May 2020 at 3:29am
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoollyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 1:48am
Hello again.  I saw one of your posts from several years ago about the low profile carb for this F 134 in a CJ.  I think what was on this one was a Ford Falcon carb...but it's gone now.  You mentioned the Holly 1908 as a fit...

And you asked where we are....in Nathrop, CO.  Between Buena Vista and Salida.  And yes, our neighbor is a very excellent and respected Baja race driver. :)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:25am
Welcome to the page, WoollyBear!  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WoollyBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:54am
Thank you!  Seems like a good group of souls with a common interest!  We'll learn a lot for you'all!  You're not too far...we're between Buena Vista and Salida.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:16pm
Is there some way to delete these posts ?
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply