Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying this cj2a need help is it worth it..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 7:24pm
The engine isn't original to that jeep. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the F-head engines to know exactly how they look. The oil filter looks correct for the era but the valve cover makes me think it might be a Ford Pinto or something similar. Good luck. The frame would be more important. If it is solid you can find another engine. If the frame is shot, its a parts exercise. At the price.... hard to loose.
Steve
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 7:53pm
Engine is not original it looks to be a later 134F with the right carb you can get it to fit under the hood.

BUT here is the Question: WHAT IS YOUR GOAL?

Do you want to get it running and putt around until it falls completely apart
Do you want to fix it all up mechanically and putt around a little faster until the body falls apart completely
Do you want to fix everything and have a decent Jeep
Do you want to completely restore it to original and have a show jeep
Do you want to build some sort of restomod (rengine etc)
Do you want a Off road rock crawling monster

Or do you want o buy it tear it apart and sell off the parts making a small profit and use that to find something better suited to what ever your goal is.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Southernoregonantler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 8:49pm
My goal is too get it running.Motor replace to a original.Blast it.put back to original color..use it to hunt out of and putt around..Where would i look to make sure frame is good..
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 8:58pm
your going to have to crawl around under it and look at the frame. most likely places for damage I know of is the area where the front (round) cross member attaches to the runners and near any of the shackle or spring hangers.

I see the bell housing in the tub where is the Transmission/Transfer case?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 9:05pm
I have it..From what i found out about motor..It sounds like guy pulled original motor installed the one in photo.He told me he had to get new flywheel now its all makn since...But i have all part will be askn about original engine..Would like to put in a warn overdrive could i do that..
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 9:12pm
It’s not an F head with the oil fill in the valve cover. I’m thinking Pinto also. Many on here have started with much less. Depends on how much effort you want to put toward having a running driving Jeep. Still there are Likely a lot of good parts worth many times the price. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 10:22pm
I'm buying the title, er, the "historical document" for $150 and taking the jeep off the guys hands for free
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:37am
C'mon, guys! You can't tell a Pinto from an F-head? time for some schoolin'.

F-Head carburetor is on the RH side, exhaust manifold on the LH. Pinto is opposite. The exhaust manifold is almost obviously an F-head, and I can see the valve chamber cover on the side behind it, which Pinto does not have.

CJ3B's and CJ5's are not the only vehicle to use the F-head. Pickups, Wagons, Deliveries and FC's used it as well, and some of them (I'm not sure which) used a rocker-cover-mounted oil fill/breather cap. It was used with the road-draft tube which you can also see, that Pinto never had.

It is, indeed, an F-head.   BW

Edited by Bruce W - 22 Oct. 2018 at 12:44am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 1:25am
"Guy said it was the original engine" must mean that it was the engine that was there when he bought the Jeep.  For $150, I'd have snagged that without a backward glance.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 1:48am
Welcome aboard Steven,that’s a good start ,body looks far for $150.00 with a title.Buy it and smile that’s a deal.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:25am
Thank everybody If this is a fhead will there be a tag number anyplace on motor to confirm..Just for my own mind..It dors have all original tags on dash firewall.Were else do i look..Everybodys input is very much appreciated.Thx steve
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:37am
Serial number tags on a CJ-2A will be  on the outside of the left front frame horn just behind the bumper between the Gussets and on the firewall the tag on the Dash carries no numbers (after early 1946) if your 48 is an early 48 there will also be a serial number on the front edge of the drivers side toe board gusset. And the right edge of the tailgate. The engine serial number will be on the top of the block directly behind the water pump and stamped in with about 5/16" tall numbers.

I would be curious if your F head has a Vacuum advance distributor (metal cone on the side with a rubber or metal hose leading to it) As Wagon and Pickup motors would have.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:44am
Ill be checkn numbers tomarrow and posting pics for help figuring things out..Thx alot
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 3:49pm
Buy it....front fenders are worth the $150.00...tail gate too...

my 2 cents...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:01pm
Our old friend Sean put together a "spotters guide"with links to serial number locations and other info on changes over the years and there are some photos there as well. It can be found in the Tech FAQs sub forum.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 11:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 11:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 11:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>