Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying this cj2a need help is it worth it..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 11:53pm
Friends..Here is a few more pics of engine...Talk to guy he said they never removed engine and indeed its a fhead..Found id tags but cant read #are there any tips on helping them be visable again...It has sat for 30+years...Oil is dark so would you guys do to get fired up..etc..Thx steve
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 11:56pm
F-head. 

Buy it. 

Basics - see if it turns. Get the cruddy oil out of it. Fresh gas. New plugs and points. Fresh battery and some jumper wires for the ignition. See what happens. 

Or do what I typically used to do, jumper cables, starting fluid, several beers and a road flare. Far more entertaining. 

Edited by nofender - 23 Oct. 2018 at 12:00am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 12:45am
Can't go wrong at $150 even if this becomes parts for the next one you buy You can't get just one!

If that was in Astoria everyone would be reading about my "new" flat fender.

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 1:22am
Buy it or tell me (PM) where it is and i'll be there tomorrow. Don't let Flatfender Ben find out he has too many stray dogs as it is..LOL

Do nothing to it, do not spend any time trying to start it.  Stuff $150 into the man's hand, drag it onto a trailer and sort it out later, be sure to take that title with you..

Edited by RICKG - 23 Oct. 2018 at 1:29am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 1:41am
Usually if I take this long to make up my mind about sumpin' like this it's gone when I get there LOL.  I'd be well into listening to my wife give me grief by now...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Southernoregonantler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:01am
jeeps already bought.Title and all..Just seeing if i dudnt burn my 150
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:28am
You did good. Even if it turns out to be a pile of junk its got parts on it that will triple your money easy and could help a dozen other jeeps so you did very good.

NOW comes the hard work. RESIST the urge to start tearing it apart that path often leads to it becoming parts. Leave it together and try to get it running F head and all. You will spend the least amount of money towards your goal that way.

If moneys not a problem (which means you got 10 grand to blow) and you got hundreds of hours to spend working on it. Ignore my advise and grab some wrenches.

Do you have a place to work on it?

if you have a dry place to work on it I would as a first step go at it with a pressure washer and get as much crud off it as possible. Underside as well.

Then work up an inventory followed by a plan of procedure (what order are you going to try fixing it up) then ask a million questions here and start having fun. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:50am
RESIST the urge to start tearing it apart that path often leads to it becoming parts.
That's the best advice there is.. Jeeps I've purchased for a penny on the dollar were just that.
You gotta name? Bill, George, anything but Sue?? (John R. Cash) 
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:00am
Question..In order if this was your jeep making a to do list for fixing.Where would u start fixing and what order....thx
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:13am
First I'd get the tranny and X-fer case installed and the drive shafts.  Then I'd make sure the steering works and then the brakes, then new tires.  Then I'd get the engine going and then I'd drive the heck out of it. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 5:08am
I always want to hear something run early on...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 10:02pm
I am glad that you-all bought this Jeep. You did very well!

Here in Colorado, the title, along with the data plate, is worth at least $200.00 as that is how much money I have to lay out for a bond title. That $$ & about 6 months of paperwork & patience that is.

I am with all the above replies, do not tear it apart more than it already is. Lets get the engine to run first.

Here is what I would do:

(Note this is what I would do as an experienced mechanic. You did ask what we would do, so I am answering your query. If you do not agree with these steps, do as you please, it is your Jeep, time, & money) I will not be offended, I have no time for that BS. But, please at least do step #0.

0. This is an ongoing step, do this anytime you work on this rig. Take a ton & 1/2 of pictures! Do this every time you are going to remove any item. Take before & after pictures. Get pictures of all sides of the item once it is removed, as well as pictures of where it once was. This will be a HUGE plus when it comes time to reassemble the item. Trust me on this, you can not have too many pictures! I also store my pictures in at least two different locations on at least two different computers. I have not been this paranoid & have lived to regret that choice.

1. Pressure wash the heck out of it, especially underneath where all the crud gets caked on. You will not get all of the crud off, but getting the majority of it off helps me have a better attitude about wrenching on it. Pressure washing it also helps with the laundry costs, as well as with peace in the family.

2. Make sure that the rear engine mounts are in place. If they are not, either reinstall them, or brace the rear of the engine up with some kind of cribbing. I would not reinstall the gear boxes at this time. You may find that you want to rebuild them. You may also find that the engine needs to come out. I hate doing work that I could have avoided.

3. Find out if the engine can be turned over with a socket on the crankshaft pulley. If it will turn with the wrench, I go to step 4. If not, I would pull the head to see if any of the pistons are rusted solid in the cylinders. If so, since I have all the correct tools, such as an engine stand & a cherry picker / engine hoist, I would pull the engine & put it on an engine stand. At this point it is nice to note that I have not spent time & money installing the gearboxes since I can now look at them easier than if they were installed, I also have not wasted new oil.

4. Change the oil & filter with new oil, & a new NAPA / WIX filter. Not Fram! Using a jumper wire, I would hook the coil + terminal to the + post on the battery. Then, while my friend cranks the engine over, I spray a tad bit of starting fluid down the carburetor. Have the friend stop cranking as soon as it starts. It will not run long, perhaps 8-10 seconds. If possible, have the friend watch for oil pressure. If it starts, I move on to step 5. If not, I find out why & fix that.

5. Drain the gear lube out of the transmission & transfer case. Pull the covers off of the gear boxes & look at the gears. If they look good, I would see if there is any play in the main shaft up & down. If not, reseal them &, either install them, or set them aside awaiting the engines return to health. If the shaft moves up & down, rebuild them as to replace that bearing you need to tear it all down close to what would be needed for an overhaul.

6. make sure that the brakes work well. Very important! This can be a huge can of worms. We can discuss this at the time you get to it.

7. Make sure that the steering works. Very important as well!

8 Drive it around the yard, then the block, then to the gas station for a fill up.

Note, you can report back at any time to report your finding & to get some more advice. Also note, we really love pictures! Post as many as you feel are warranted.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. The F head engine has a bit more power than the original L head. By replacing the carburetor with the proper Holly, it can fit under the hood without the hole cut in the hood. Unless you decide you  absolutely must have an all original Jeep, the F head, IMHO, is a good upgrade, & in this Jeep it is already installed at no additional cost to you. You win!

PPS. Take a lot of pictures.

PPPS, Even more pictures!
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 1:00am
Great write up cpt Logger!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 10:29pm
THX CPT LOGGER.VERY HELPFUL THX
jasonbass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 11:26pm
gold face wheels? nice! i wish i could find some of those
You have only to believe if you wish to achieve. That rhymed. Unintentional - Rod Kimble

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernoregonantler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 6:15pm
so i found out the tranny transfer are missing..so was thinkn i wanna put in a warn over drive any help with this search
Would be sweeet...

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 3:41pm
Get shop manuals.  I also used Moses Ludel's Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual 1946 to 1971.  Lots of information and resource address there.  Get the Jeep running.  You can put an overdrive in later, but good sources of info are Advance Adapters and Herm the overdrive guy.  Novak Adapters has an excelent  web site,  they have been lots of help on my projects.   And post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions here.  Keep it fun.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123