Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48 CJ2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 1:27pm
can someone post a photo of how one is supposed to be mounted?   

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 3:08am
Look at the bottom of page 10 of this post.  The red jeep shows the bolt patter for the tire to mount too.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
48 CJ2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48 CJ2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 3:44pm
Ok cool,  single bolt up and 2 down.

Gavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2017 at 9:36pm
Swiss Military CJ2A
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 12:20am
Wow!! Get us some more info. And across the pond to boot.
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 3:20am
That is a good looking jeep. The vertical cylinder below the mirror-is that a turn signal?
dsc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 10:19am
That's a nice 2a . Could you kindly share more pictures and details of the vin and body tag numbers. Thanks
Gavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 6:13pm
I have a small post going under Your Project Jeeps and newbie from across the pond. Have look at the pictures. Yes they are turn signals which are called semiphore and they flick up and illuminate to signal which way your going to turn. Rear lights are scintilla(Swiss made) and are from pre war Bugattiā€™s. I believe it was used by Swiss Military to tow Vampire jets and also had some sort of generator where passenger seat is now as it has a grooves pulley wheel between the seats and an extra lever to engage it. Also the fuel tank has a special cut out to assist this installation.
Gavc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2017 at 6:16pm
forgot to say if anyone has any history on these Swiss jeeps I would be grateful if you could share. I have emailed twice the Swiss jeep club by had no reply 
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 7:53pm
In reviewing info regarding the production of lefties, I ran across the theory that lefties were possibly a factory option for rural maill carriers, allowing the vehicle to avoid hitting mail boxes during deliveries.
What you think?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 8:45pm
While anything is possible I would say that is not a true theory. The "lefty" production run was for a defined period of time where ALL CJ2a vehicles produced were "leftys", and then it stopped. Most all "lefties" that have survived fall into a specific serial number range. An option for letter carriers would have resulted in a much more wide dispersal of serial numbers......Gospel? No. Just me putting 2 and 2 together.Wink
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 8:47pm
I would argue against the theory that it was an option for mail carriers.  The span of 'Leftys' is very specific as noted below.   From the Service Bulletin dated May 25, 1948, Willys gives us a hint as to why they went to the 'Lefty', and the reason for switching back to a 'Righty'. 

"SPARE TIRES - The spare tire mounting on the Model CJ-2A was changed from the right to the left side to comply wit the law in a few States. This change became effective with vehicle Serial No. 176061 on March 3, 1948. with some exceptions. This change was not advantageous causing too much concentration of weight on the left side of the vehicle (off-set engine, steering gear, fuel tank and driver) causing it to set low so the right hand mounting was readopted beginning with vehicle Serial No. 185769 on April 14, 1948, with certain exceptions. A spare wheel mounting kit is now available under Part No. 670504 to mount the wheel on the tail gate in States where this is required."

If an available option, the 'Lefty' serial numbers would be scattered throughout CJ2A production.

Damar beat me to it.

Edited by athawk11 - 15 Jan. 2018 at 8:49pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 9:13pm
I'll give my 2cents worth too......I'm skeptical...I don't buy it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 11:08pm
If a lawyer was asked to review the reason for returning the spare tire to the passenger side, it would read like the "SPARE TIRES" athawk11 posted from WO.

It would not mention any additional accidents caused by the tire sticking out into traffic, accidents at the factory from Jeeps locking spare tires as they drove past each other.  It also would not mention the short factory side view mirror arm that makes it so the driver can only see the spare tire which obscures everything else from view. 
Stev
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 1:43pm
Hey Guys,

This looks like a lefty to me, however, I'm no expert! Looks like a bunch of extra parts. Still way out of my budget Cry

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/1948-willys-jeep-cj-2a/6465918600.html
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 10:13pm
Yep, It sure has Lefty features and the S/N shown in pix # 19 of the C.L. ad shows (S) 180389 which is middle of Lefty S/N Numbers. (M) J 192477A would be the original motor number as many states used engine numbers on registrations.
Notice how the Sold Date is 4/49 New. Maybe a typo or the selling dealer had it around a whole year.
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2018 at 4:58pm
Always great to see photos of a Lefty!  There are lots of photos on that link for the Hudsonvalley CL Lefty.  Great to see this as part of the Lefty thread and not move to some other heading.

There are interesting CJ2A parts and the non CJ2A parts mixed in the pictures.  It is interesting to see what could be a correct rear reflector, a grill screen, the wrong air cleaner and horn for a Lefty, upgrades like the 12 volt alternator, electrical junction block and the extra amp meter mounted in the dash, draw bar looks correct (extension plate make me wonder if the PTO gear box might be laying around and the PTO might still be bolted to the transfer case - there is a PTO handle one of the parts pile photos), spring seats are there, correct rear seat, non threaded shiftier on the transmission, the correct drive flanges, Lefty bow brackets and tire support.  

Under the hood is a interesting - oil filter move is interesting, Alternator mount well done and it looks like there is some sort of linkage coming off of the carburetor.
The windshield is modified.  The top is interesting (middle bows on the rear).

The 6 weeks of production for the Leftys is a pretty narrow window and it is always great to see a jeep that still shows lots of the correct parts.  It appears this Lefty went through so refitting in the late 1960 to mid 1970s and someone had a lot of fun driving it (bumper, fender and rear quarter panel damage).  

With a lot of love/$$$ this could be a very nice Lefty.   Assuming if is not a total rust buck underneath.  

If you are a Leftyaholic it is worth a look at the pictures.
Stev
Wild-n-Wooly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild-n-Wooly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 2:33am
I bought the Hudson Valley Lefty on eBay for $2999.  May have over payed but like that it is an original owner vehicle.  It is also black, which I understand is also rare.  It will be my retirement project to restore it.  I haven't picked it up yet so don't know how badly it is rusted but the daughter of the original owner tells me it was garaged until two years ago and is pretty solid.  This is my first CJ (I did have a 1960 Wagon) but I did notice the oil filter was in the wrong place.  Interested to see how it was accomplished.

I will be sure to look for the PTO when I pick it up.  

Any advice about how best to proceed is welcome.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>