Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhovey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Wild-n-Wooly Wild-n-Wooly wrote:

I bought the Hudson Valley Lefty on eBay for $2999.  May have over payed but like that it is an original owner vehicle.  It is also black, which I understand is also rare.  It will be my retirement project to restore it.  I haven't picked it up yet so don't know how badly it is rusted but the daughter of the original owner tells me it was garaged until two years ago and is pretty solid.  This is my first CJ (I did have a 1960 Wagon) but I did notice the oil filter was in the wrong place.  Interested to see how it was accomplished.

I will be sure to look for the PTO when I pick it up.  

Any advice about how best to proceed is welcome.  

Welcome! Congratulations, that is a very nice Jeep! You are lucky to find floors in that good of shape here in the rust belt. Having it in storage for so long definitely helped preserve it. I know your plan is to restore it but don't rule out fixing the mechanical components and driving it the way it is! (Until your are ready to take on the restoration). That paint sure has a lot of character! But when you decide to take on the project you have a nice solid body to work with along with some nice hard to find original parts. That original paperwork is very nice to have too! 
That oil filter belongs where that alternator is (someone swapped out the generator) but it looks like that alternator is utilizing the oil filter bracket so that's an easy fix back to original.

Hope this helps!    

Edited by Mhovey46 - 26 Feb. 2018 at 3:20am
-Matt

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 1:32pm
Wow!! Thanks for sharing! I really loved this one..... Keep us posted on your progress and lots of pictures Wink Congrats!
Wild-n-Wooly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild-n-Wooly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 10:35pm
thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking of keeping the body original but redo all mechanicals. I like the patina but need reliable mechanics. 
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Wild-n-Wooly Wild-n-Wooly wrote:

I haven't picked it up yet so don't know how badly it is rusted but the daughter of the original owner tells me it was garaged until two years ago and is pretty solid.  

Did I pass you on Rt 209 near Summitville today at 5:00?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 2:34pm
Any Lefty's going the Aurora, Ohio show this year in May 18 -19?  Last year I brought my lefty to the Southern Indiana Spring Reunion "Rain" show with the hopes of other Leftys attending.  Just wondering.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 7:30pm
Lefty Question:  (EDIT: THIS IS SOLVED - THE LEFTYS USE THE SAME TIRE MOUNT AS THE NON LEFTY TIRE MOUNTS)

Can I get the Lefty owners to look at their spare tire mounts and see if the reinforcing bracket hole with the flange is made so the flange faces the downword when mounted on the Lefty's left side.

You will note that this Leftys reinforcing bracket is not casting a shadow like it would if the standard tire mount had just been bolted on.  This photo makes me wonder if there was a special version of the spare tire mount made for the Lefty's with the reinforcing bracket installed so the flange faces downword - perhaps so the water would run off.

Let me know what you have on your Leftys.  Thanks, Stev 

Edited by Stev - 10 Apr. 2018 at 2:31am
Stev
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 7:56pm
Hmm. Interesting point. To do this conversion to a CJ2a at the factory required the top bow brackets to be mirrored which is a bit of retooling. The spare tire mount support bracing in the fender well was merely flipped to the other side. You would think WILLYS looked for the simplest, cost effective way to make this happen. I hadn't even considered the spare tire mount itself......good catch. Hope we figure it out. Mine was already off the jeep and not present.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 1:42am
I don't believe there is a "Lefty" version of the spare tire mount.  If you look closely at this photo, the two close studs are toward the bottom and back.  Set to this orientation, the standard spare tire mount would have the flange around the large hole... toward the bottom.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 2:29am
athawk11,

I agree!  Just got back from visiting our 1984 Lefty in storage.  It has a spare tire holder like the one in the 1948 picture of the CJ2A Lefty plowing.  I agree that it can simply be rotated 90 degree and mounted on the right side of the vehicle.  I have also been looking at the spare tire mounts available today on-line and there maybe two versions of the mount available today.  But I only found one with the early style ring welded to the center.  Walcks site has one that is correct.  I consider this to be a solved mystery.  Great picture of a 1948 Lefty plowing you have to  admit!

I am also grateful not to be searching for a lefty original spare tire carrier.

Stev

Stev
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 4:42am
Stev, 
Agreed.  A very cool picture.  I imagine this was from a marketing brochure or something similar.  The implement is super clean.  It almost looks like they drew in the edges to make it "POP".  Even back then they were manipulating photos.Cool
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 5:54am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

It almost looks like they drew in the edges to make it "POP".  Even back then they were manipulating photos.Cool

There are lots of early Jeep photos (and early jeep photos) that have been retouched to make the edges of things stand out.  Rather than make sure the lighting was good the first time, they just retouched.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 2:15pm
Seeing old pictures retouched from that time  - it is almost like authentication.  Good to see a clear shot of a Lefty during 1948.

1. Shot arm on the rear view mirror.
2. Spare tire bracket on the drivers side.  (two studs down, on up)
3. Bow's in the bow pocket.  Can just see to tops with the strap on the passenger side. 
4. 1948 the new draw bar design for the Monroe 3 point lift.
5. Monroe 3 point lift
6. 1948 license plate - long plate that has not been bent yet!
Stev
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 5:26pm
The color tone looks similar to the back of the seats.  Do you guys think it’s painted black?

Another cool detail is the screws holding the trailer plug hole cover.  Clearly zinc plated…not painted.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 5:51pm
The detail is incredible, even where it hasn't been retouched. You can actually see the needle position in all of the visible gauges!
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 7:55pm
It is one my favorite Lefty pictures.  Now that is 1948!

Additional details - Looks like a black Lefty with Gray seats and Gray tail gate chain covers.  Key coil, nonpainted brake handle, black oxide bolts used for mounting the rear pto and draw bar.  You can see some footman loops
Stev
sconsalv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sconsalv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:41pm
< ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0" ="text/"> Do you think serial # 187952 would fall under a lefty? its right on the cusp.
1948 CJ2A , Picket Gray
1946 Cj2a , Project Granny LoW
L134, NP435, TerraLow Gears, Floater 44 , Saginaw Steering Conversion, 113:1 Crawl
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:04am
I think 187952 would be a righty. Is it your Jeep with the original tub? There should be enough clues in the rear wheel wells to determine which side the spare was on. 
48 CJ2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48 CJ2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 5:09pm
yes as bob said thcke the rear wheel wells to see where the tire mounts are.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>