Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2021 at 10:17pm
Good Evening Rick:

I assume from your handle you are familiar with slat grills.  But if you are not, there are folks out there restoring the early slat grills that would fall all over themselves to get the correct engine.

Regards,

Walter
ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2021 at 11:16pm
Hello Walter,  I have 3 slat grills... I will use the motor for on of them sometime in the future.... I have a 1945 and a 1946 column shift jeeps also...they are as interesting as a slat grill jeep to me.
Rick
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2021 at 11:40am
Adding this to the Lefty Thread.

The Leftys were produced in the beginning of the second quarter of 1948.

So - it looks like the Leftys should have the A659 number on the outside of the exhaust casting.  That casting number moved to the inner side of the exhaust manifold in July of 1948.

Edited by Stev - 30 Nov. 2021 at 11:41am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 2:43pm

I don't think mine is on here yet. Vin 183121. Luzon red. 1948.

Edited by jhg - 16 Apr. 2023 at 10:21am
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 4:54pm
Congrats, she's a beauty
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2022 at 4:56pm
Luzon red in that condition looks like primer red, in the picture. Should make paint matching a breeze Wink
White’s jeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White’s jeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 11:35am
Hi y’all 
I’m new so bare with me. I would Ike to add my “lefty” cj2a to the list. Sn#176223 the only tag I found was on the firewall. I will look harder when I get the chance. A little history on the jeep. I don’t know much. I purchased it in 2002 from a salvage yard in Wellington, Utah. The owner passed away and the kids had no interest. So they were selling off anything that anyone wanted. From the info I got it was last licensed in 1964. When my brother and I got it home we got it started. I took inventory of the jeep and started accumulating parts. The state of Utah is giving me the runaround on getting me the title. I kind of lost interest and it still sits. Over the years I bought other cj’s (76 cj5 Levi (sold) 87 cj7 (given to my brother so he wouldn’t die in his 71 cj5) 53 cj3a navy jeep (stripped for parts)47 cj2a still own (daily drive as much as possible) will post pics as soon as I learn how on “lefty” the 47 is more for different thread) 
The 47 was restored to learn how now it is time to get back on the “lefty”. Especially now I know it is rare and the 47 is mostly done. 

Sorry for the long post. 
TankerTop65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankerTop65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 12:11pm
I am new here and I wanted to get my Lefty on the board as well. I purchase it in Western Illinois, just over the river from St Louis.  It was stored inside a garage where it was placed in 1986. It was a hunting rig that the dad had bought from a guy in Missouri in 1976.  That is where the story ends. The serial number plate has been removed and has been gone for a while. There is no number on the tailgate. Both of the titles use the engine number as the VIN. I am going to title the CJ in Kansas with that VIN as well.
Engine #: J188613.   Tub ACM#: 166179
I am pretty sure everything is original. The engine compartment looks unmolested.
Is there a reference where I can use these numbers to find the original serial number?

Edited by TankerTop65 - 30 Dec. 2022 at 12:12pm
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 1:43pm
I bought a lefty a few months ago at an estate sale. It is serial 179763, no body tag and no holes for one. The carrier was removed from the left side to the right side by some previous owner. The left bracing is still intact.I would like to get it back on the left but that is for later on.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 12:43pm

Service Bulletin #48-27 May 25, 1948

SPARE TIRES - The spare tire mounting on the Model CJ-2.4  was changed from the right to
the left side to comply with the law in a few States.  This change became effective
with vehicle Serial No. 176061 on March 3, 1948, with some exceptions.  This change
was not advantageous causing too much concentration of weight on the left side of the
vehicle (off-set engine, steering gear, fuel tank and driver) causing it to set low
so the right hand mounting was readopted beginning with vehicle Serial No. 185769 on
April 14, 1948, with certain exceptions. A spare wheel mounting kit is now available
under Part No. 670504 to mount the wheel on the tail gate in States where this is
required.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Service Bulletin #48-27 May 25, 1948
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
<div style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">SPARE TIRES - The spare tire mounting on the Model CJ-2.4  was changed from the right to
the left side to comply with the law in a few States.  This change became effective
with vehicle Serial No. 176061 on March 3, 1948, with some exceptions.  This change
was not advantageous causing too much concentration of weight on the left side of the
vehicle (off-set engine, steering gear, fuel tank and driver) causing it to set low
so the right hand mounting was readopted beginning with vehicle Serial No. 185769 on
April 14, 1948, with certain exceptions. A spare wheel mounting kit is now available
under Part No. 670504 to mount the wheel on the tail gate in States where this is
required.

My Luzon Red 48 "Righty" is # 176528 so was it a lefty that had the spare mistakenly mounted on the right side??? It must be a rare one!
Also I purchased a Black "Lefty" about ten years back that had all 5 original wheels with it. For some reason two were Kelsey Hayes wheels, two were Motor wheels & one was a solid disk Kelsey Hayes wheel, all with the original red paint w/ black pinstripes & the old gent that I purchased it from said that was how he got it from the dealer back in the day! Imagine that!   

Edited by 3-48s - 25 Feb. 2023 at 3:34pm
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 3:44pm
Before any undergarments get 'wadded up' what most deputies seem to be missing in this (and other) numbers discussions is the most always there Willys Disclaimer.....and it is present in this case, both the beginning and ending numbers have the disclaimer, wait for it........."with some exceptions" and "with certain exceptions".Approve

Which is why with some exceptions and with certain exceptions these production numbers discussions always bore me to death. Dead

Conjecture.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 5:18pm
Good Afternoon Everyone:

The service bulletin was a great 'Official' explanation.  I have always wondered why the lefty anomaly.  Now I know.  I too have a lefty and before I knew any better back in my younger days, I hap hazzardly moved the spare to the tailgate, painting it OD green.  Once I understood what I had and acquired a 'real' army jeep, an M-38, I brought the 2A back to its original configuration and a favorite CJ2A Color.

My question to the group is does anyone have any more information, pictures, manual references on what was in the tail gate mounting kit the service bulletin mentions?  Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Walter
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Before any undergarments get 'wadded up' what most deputies seem to be missing in this (and other) numbers discussions is the most always there Willys Disclaimer.....and it is present in this case, both the beginning and ending numbers have the disclaimer, wait for it........."with some exceptions" and "with certain exceptions".Approve

Which is why with some exceptions and with certain exceptions these production numbers discussions always bore me to death. Dead

Conjecture.

Wadded undergarments is what we do best here on the Page!
Make one statement or ask a particular question and watch the wolves pick at it until the post is hijacked or it is beat so much we grow tired of the supposed answer. It is in all good fun though.

P.S. Sorry you died We will miss your comments for sure!
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by WillysWally WillysWally wrote:

Good Afternoon Everyone:

My question to the group is does anyone have any more information, pictures, manual references on what was in the tail gate mounting kit the service bulletin mentions?  Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Walter

Hopefully, this will answer some of your questions here:

https://www.cj3b.info/Tech/TailgateSpare.html

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2023 at 11:39pm
Good Evening Bill:

Many thanks for the link.  It was very helpful.  But it also raised a couple of additional questions.  The article mentioned that Willys used a dark sealant preservative on the oak reinforcing board.

I agree that the spar varnish would be a good modern day substitute, especially a marine grade.  Being both a hardwood guy as well as a commercial wood treated, is there any documentation on exactly what Willys actually used.  My interest is more one of professional curiosity.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Walter
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2023 at 9:51am
I do not agree that spar varnish is a good choice, unless you are willing to 1) re-visit that finish every few years. More often if its stored outside and 2) apply several thin coats (5), starting with a 50/50 thinned bond coat. Sanding between every coat. Nothing looks worse than a deteriorating varnish finish.
I grew up in Maine and spent a lot of time on the water, near and in boat yards. Spar varnish is a great finish. I saw, applied and used a lot of it. But it takes effort to make it effective and effort to maintain it to a nice level.
 Having said that, my bright finished doors here in Colorado are spar and I get about 4 years before re-finish. It is worth it because there are few finishes that are warmer in tone, while bringing out the woods natural beauty better, than a good quality oil based varnish.

I suggest also considering  an oil finish, which avoids the biggest drawback of wood finishes like varnishes for the outdoors which is varnishes use a layer(s) to shut out the elements, unlike oil finishes that are in the wood and do not build a coat over it.

Edited by jhg - 26 Feb. 2023 at 9:54am
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2023 at 9:53am
Originally posted by WillysWally WillysWally wrote:

Good Evening Bill:

Many thanks for the link.  It was very helpful.  But it also raised a couple of additional questions.  The article mentioned that Willys used a dark sealant preservative on the oak reinforcing board.

I agree that the spar varnish would be a good modern day substitute, especially a marine grade.  Being both a hardwood guy as well as a commercial wood treated, is there any documentation on exactly what Willys actually used.  My interest is more one of professional curiosity.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Walter

That question is above my pay grade. Maybe Joe Friday knows???

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>