Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2011 at 2:09am
There are no numbers stamped into the frame on a 2A (the frame number would be on a plate screwed/riveted to the front frame horn)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2011 at 1:04am
i've seen james'. a red jeep ,  that's a fine example of a canadian build with those "robertson" button head stainless steel screws.  
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2011 at 5:33am
Thoought a few of you might enjoy reading this article.  Scroll down a little and check it out.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2009/02/13/factories-and-dealerships-of-historical-los-angeles/
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2011 at 5:58am
Neat find, thanks for sharing. I used to work at a Lincoln dealership here in Seattle that was once upon a time an assembly plant for Model T's (they tore the building down last yearDisapprove, part of building more traffic lanes downtown, that's progress for you. They did save the art deco fascia though)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2011 at 9:50pm
Time to bring this topic back to the top!!!  Go look at Ebay and this California Lefty with an overdrive to boot. Does that S / N  CJ2A 181426 fit the mold??  Glenn

Edited by Glennstin - 27 Nov. 2011 at 12:27am
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
Colin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 2:49am
Glennstin wanted me to throw in here as well. I have a friend, Andrew DeLozier, in Sierra Vista, AZ who has a 1948 Lefty.  I spotted it at a car show in Sierra Vista and he wasn't around, so left my card.  I have misplaced his VIN right now, but at the time I verified that it was within the VIN numbers for a lefty.  As far as we can tell, it has been in Arizona most of its life, and still has the left tire mount and the right side top bow pockets.  There is also a lefty pictured on the April 2009 Jeep Classics calendar by Bill Norris.  It is in Iowa and owned by Mr. Allen Boyd.  It is Luzon Red with cream wheels, but I have no further info on it.  There is also a partial copy of the W-O tech bulletin 48-27about the changing of the left side mount to the tailgate.  That bulletin mentions the fact that the left mount put too much weight on the left side due to the offset engine,  steering gear, fuel tank and driver, causing it to set low.

An additional thought regarding serial numbers outside the bracketed numbers, this tech bulletin was dated May 25, 1948, well after the mounts were changed back to the right side or to the tailgate.  Having restored a 1960 Corvette, I know that the Corvette assembly manual had dates where changes were supposed to take place as well as serial numbers where the change either started or ended.  Many times there are vehicles outside those parameters simply because the publication didn't catch up for a few days or even a couple of weeks, so it is entirely possible that Willys had the same situation with running production line changes and the actual documentation lagged behind and was not totally accurate.  We all recognize that Jeep engine numbers didn't match the serial number on the Jeep as those engines were used for many other applications.  The same Go Devil engine that went into a CJ2A could have gone into a pickup truck, station wagon, panel delivery or Jeepster.  They stamped the prefix letter(s) on the engine to match the body style; J(Jeep). T(4 wheel drive truck), 2T(2 wheel drive truck), U(Jeepster) S(Panel Delivery), or SW(Station wagon). Welders, generators and air compressors all used a Go-Devil engine, even Zambonis.  Later, the two wheel drive DJ3As had a "3J" prefix on their engines, but same basic engine that was used a decade or more previously.
Colin in Phoenix

Colin in Phoenix
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2011 at 1:28pm
RIP, Allan, our good friend...
Gone but not forgotten...

Can't remember if I ever mentioned it here or not.
I, too, am in Iowa.
I've got a Lefty with PTO, Ag. Wght. and perfect Chafe Screen.
Bob  
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2012 at 3:34pm
Thought I'd add mine to the thread....

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2012 at 4:57pm
Nice, was the original color one of the grays ???
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2012 at 4:18am
Well if we're gonna list 'em here is "lefty" 2A VIN number- 181166 / ACM# 170968 / engine#J193808A. No frame tag. No tailgate ACM #.  It was originally Pickett Gray.
We shall be returning it to it's original color.

Edited by damar2yxr - 26 Mar. 2012 at 1:33pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Fred Ashbrook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Ashbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2012 at 12:57pm
David, can you verify your engine # for me?  Looks like you might have left off a number - I am interested to see how close our #'s are...

Thanks!
Fred
Fred A
48 Lefty
Virginia

48 Lefty
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2012 at 1:40pm
Post edited. Yep left off a number. Embarrassed
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Fred Ashbrook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Ashbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2012 at 9:45pm
Thanks!  My engine # is J193038A - was curious how close they were.
Fred A
48 Lefty
Virginia

48 Lefty
MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2012 at 11:57pm
Still not 100% sure tony. I think it was grey but there is some emerald green here and there also. The grey may be primer under the green.

Btw, my number is 184146
MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 1:39pm
Saw this today....thought it was kinda funny....

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 2:21pm
How come I do not see some of these on the "owners location page" here.  Or did you not know it existed?   If not  put them there and while there look around there may be some one near you.
Ed
cj2a lefty
ouchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ouchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 1:44am
Mine's Titled 1948. Vin #81650. It's all original except some rubber parts, a fuel pump, Temp gage, coil, (evidence of key coil are 3 screw holes in dash and old bracket in tool box) and an exhast valve.  Add ons are Warn OD, Super Winch lock outs and Konig Iron Works P/U extension.
Color is Princeton Black with Harvard Red wheels with Black pin stripe. It's been in my family since day one.It currently has less than 7k on the odometer. I'll try and post some pics. Any special pic requests will have to wait until late September 2012.
Here it is. Enjoy! 

Edited by ouchman - 01 Aug. 2012 at 2:14am
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 2:34am
Nice looking Jeep!  If it is a true lefty it was built in 1948, but then you are missing a leading 1 in the VIN that you posted.   The title may have 81650, but I bet the frame tag has something more like 181650.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>