Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I get your thoughts on this CJ2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 9:58pm
i'll check the block and the left frame horn. Hopefully I can find a number that matches the title somewhere.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 11:33pm
I see this thread was moved to the off topic area. My apologies for posting in the wrong place. I should have looked around a bit more before posting.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2017 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Steve,

]I am feeling like - if it runs, has good compression numbers, has a clean title (with data plates), does not pop out of second gear and does not smoke it is priced about $1,000 to $1,500 high.  But the prices do seem to be moving up. 

I've been keeping an eye on prices in the S. W. Mich.(Not Detroit) area and Steve is right on the money. I've seen some pretty nice jeeps for around 5Gs. I would question a seller that would think it's an improvement to slap orange paint across the head and firewall, talk about Bubba Just my 2 cents. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Steve,

]I am feeling like - if it runs, has good compression numbers, has a clean title (with data plates), does not pop out of second gear and does not smoke it is priced about $1,000 to $1,500 high.  But the prices do seem to be moving up. 

I've been keeping an eye on prices in the S. W. Mich.(Not Detroit) area and Steve is right on the money. I've seen some pretty nice jeeps for around 5Gs. I would question a seller that would think it's an improvement to slap orange paint across the head and firewall, talk about Bubba Just my 2 cents. Joe
Joe: don't you know that that orange paint raises the compression numbers by 5 pounds!!!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 11:06am
Yeah I noticed the overspray.  The body has been off the frame and the frame/axles repainted before the  current owner had it.  There are new looking rubber body mounts between the frame and body.  Looking at the motor from underneath, it was clearly painted out of the frame then installed.  For some reason, the sloppy overspray must have been done as a touch up after installation.  The current owner (who's has had it for 10 years) hasn't done much other than drive it around his farm, so I suspect this orange paint was done earlier. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I see this thread was moved to the off topic area. My apologies for posting in the wrong place. I should have looked around a bit more before posting.

sometimes the mods move stuff because of who knows what reason (it's a discussion about a jeep cj2A), overall the jeep looks like a good starting point.

shift into low range 1st gear and drive it slowly to eval the drivetrain won't need operating brakes just go slow. stay off the road.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2017 at 4:08am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

shift into low range 1st gear and drive it slowly to eval the drivetrain won't need operating brakes just go slow. stay off the road.

Excellent advice there.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2017 at 7:40pm
Its been 2 weeks since I looked at it. Been thinking about it and looking at others too. I contacted them this morning and made an offer that is well below their asking price, contingent on getting it started so I can see that doesn't smoke or have any bad sounds. They asked for a day or two to consider my offer. I'm fine with giving them some time. So now I wait and see.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 11:29am
I heard back from the seller yesterday. He got it started (but it still won't idle) and he agreed to my offer. I plan to go over Saturday morning and check it out. If the motor doesn't smoke and seems healthy otherwise, I'll bring it home.

If I do, the first order of business will be to get it running better.  It appears to have a Solex carb.  I'm thinking it may be gummed up from sitting and need the idle jet cleaned out.  I know nothing about a Solex, I'll be looking for advice on how to clean it out.  It would probably be prudent to flush the tank and fuel lines as well. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 2:02pm
I don't have personal experience with a Solex, but they can be troublesome if there isn't a pressure regulator between the fuel pump and the carburetor. I believe Solex runs best at 1.5 pounds of fuel pressure. This could be one reason it won't idle if the regulator is missing...or it could be something else.

Anyway, if you buy it, good luck and have fun with it. If you don't buy it, there will be another opportunity. At least the seller matched your offer.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 3:13pm
Looks nice, but the statement 'No Bondo' is not entirely accurate, The seam between the rear corners and rear panel are gone so the back end is Bondo. The inner fenders look suspicious too, but neither of those would concern me much.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 3:26pm
Didn't mean to sound to critical of the jeep (sometimes little things add up). The jeep definetly has some good things going for it....like mainly the body which is a major expense to replace, I would take a serious look at the Carter W O. if you get it. Good Luck Joe          Kansas 46CJ2A, I knew about the orange head years ago (just because I'm from Grand Rapids doesn't mean I'm not up on the latest tech. tips). Notice the orange paint on my head?......that and .060 over I figure I'm pushing 70 hp Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:12pm
I may be putting the cart before the horse.  But if I get it, I'll probably pull the Solex apart and just see if its clogged up.  Might as well start with the easy stuff (do they make rebuild kits for these?). I've read mixed reviews on them. Some swear by them, others swear at them. This guy has owned the jeep for about 10 years and has just driven it around his farm and occasional short trips to the store.  I don't think he's done much more than drive it.  But its been sitting for a while, maybe 6 months?  Going back to the Carter WO would be nice, but a bit more pricey.  I noticed that there is no governor control on the dash - is that a problem?  

I looked at the body fairly closely and tapped on it with my knuckles.  There probably is a little bondo on the seams, but the panels sounded good.  I looked underneath too, and while surface rusty, the bottom of the tub looks solid.

Not sure what's with the orange overspray. Pretty sloppy touch up I suppose.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 3:31am
You can get a rebuild kit for the Solex from Ron Fitzpatrick (G503.com).  If you keep it, use a pressure regulator.  I put the Carter W-O back on Ol' Unreliable but I think I'll go back to the Solex, as it was peppier with that carb than with the Carter.  The Solex is a lot less finicky to rebuild than the Carter since you don't need that metering rod tool.  Plus, there's not as many pieces.  That Carter has a lot of parts for a single-barrel carb.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12