Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can-o-worms- spare or no spare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2019 at 10:24pm
If you convert your CJ to an MB clone and move your spare to the rear you solve your weight and balance problems. (although you won't be able to use the tailgate as easily) but who every uses their tailgate in a CJ anyway???

So I converted my 2A to a CJMB and thus have the spare on the back.  (of course I don't even carry the jack ..... but THAT's a different issue lol)  Good news.... I have a full spare which I regularly service and even keep inflated.  Bad news .... if I get a flat, I have to wait for a squad of Marines to come by and lift up the jeep for me).

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2019 at 4:17am
For those looking for the original jack. They are being reproduced. I see them come up on eBay every once in a while for around $100. Kaiser Willys has them for $140 (ouch). Surplus ones are still out there. I just got one for $50.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
jeepingben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 1:06am
I only carry the spare on long excursions. Even then I usually don't have a jack and assume I will be able to improvise something.

A lot of my jeeping last summer was to and from bike rides so I could ride the bike home and use another car to bring the spare and jack.  A bike on the back is pretty much the only tool you need when riding locally.

Edited by jeepingben - 12 Mar. 2019 at 1:09am
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 3:29am
I've always carried a spare and a hi lift jack. After sitting all winter my left rear tire went flat yesterday. Guess what ? My hi lift doesn't work with a bed extension on the CJ2A. Guess I'll have to find another jack. Ignorance is bliss. Gary
gostby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123