Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 12:21am
First choice # 6 - 7 piece complete cotton duck top.  LOL 
Second choice # 4-  2 piece to be added to later.
Third choice # 3 -  1 piece cotton duck
   Jpet you build it and we will come. (buy it)

Edited by mike in oregon - 21 Nov. 2010 at 12:22am
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 12:30am
If we go with choice 4, some of youn's are going to have to get your windshields adjusted right.  The 2 piece top is not as forgiving as the one piece. :)
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 1:10am
Mine is a repo frame so it must be correct. LOL  I had a heck of a time to get it to just fit the cowl. Is there some kind of measurements for it? Correct angles?
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

.......Is there some kind of measurements for it? Correct angles?

There has been some discussion on this before but I'm not sure we ever came to any conclusions.  If/when I make them I'm going to ask for your dimensions anyway and I'll let you know what mine are.  The main thing I am talking is a "sprung" windshield where the passenger side leans back more than the driver's side due to the passenger grabbing the windshield to pull himself out of the vehicle.
Originally posted by dennisanvil dennisanvil wrote:

....... i have got my bows and door rod made........

Dennis,
Are you saying you made your own bows?  Let's see some pics!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Stray Bullet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:33am

Is this a #4 ?  If yes, I vote for this and I'm gettin' in line.  Thanks, Rog

'47 CJ2A
Bantam T3-C
'05 Yamaha FJR1300

Come to the Dark Side...

we have cookies!
leef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:35am
My first choice would be #4 and my second #3, made with the messy, smelly cotton duck to match my messy smelly jeep.
leef

462a
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:42am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

... I purchased a new machine.  It is a Singer 111W154 ...
Nice!  I need one of those too, got any more? Big smile  (been trying to trade my 112W114 for one like).  Is it needle-feed too?

Sean
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 3:03am
Whatever ya do with that Singer don't try to sew tow straps with it.... Not that I know anything about machines knocked out of time..      

In order of preference, one piece, two piece,  halfcab. You could leave off fasteners for the side curtains until someone wanted to install them  for themselves, possibly.

You are gonna be a busy guy!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 3:05am
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

.....Is it needle-feed too?
I don't know .... What does that mean?
Edit:  If that means that the needle moves with the product, then no I don't think so.

Dave Pizzoferatto recommended it to me.  I got it on ebay for $405.  When I saw the picture of it I recognized it in the pic that Bob W posted in "Make Your Own Canvas Top" thread.  It's the same machine those ladys are using.  There is a Consew on ebay now that looks pretty good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130456349410&category=3118&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
This is the one that Dave uses.  The 111W does not have a reverse.  This one does.
I still want to get a chain stitch machine for the binding.

Edited by jpet - 21 Nov. 2010 at 4:00am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 4:02am
Dear Jeff,

I am interested in whatever you make.  It is amazing that you and so many others on the CJ2a page have so much skill and share so much with others.  (I appreciate things, but when it comes to making or doing, I am Bubba's twin!)

A Reedkini would be great for unanticipated showers (or sun, here in SeattleSmile ). 

I would also like a complete "original style" top, so would prefer the 2-piece (choice 4) over the duster (choice 3), but if you decide on duster, I would certainly like one.  

So my choices are:

4 and 1 or 2
or
3 and 1 or 2

Thanks and best wishes,
David

PS. 
My 2a is in the shop, but will be ready to go any day now.  To begin with, I won't mind some rain (and Seattle 'cold' ) but some coverage up top will be great!

Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 9:01am
Jeff

I'm with Sam's choice: I'd like a #4, but a #3 would be fine. Having spent so long trying to get the resto `right' (sort of), I've been thinking about going down the M38 top bows/canvas top route - but I don't think I can really bring myself to do it.

...now I have to PM Mike and try and get on his next top bows production run LOL
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 11:24am
Any chance for a one piece top that would use the M38 bows but with the Arch in the back panel?  I have called all the big name top makers and none will make me one.Cry 
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 11:42am
The above top as you have it shown looks great and is priced right!
Keeping it period looking would make it look "right" to 95% of the people who
would ever see it and it would be more functional than an original top with
better visibility too! Big smile

I think if you could offer it in either OD or a tan that would appeal to most
people and perhaps at some point you will find you could add another color
if things are running along smoothly.

I'd say go for it and keep everyone posted as to when you have some
ready to offer out!  Good luck!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:24pm
I'm for #4 as I'm sure in the future I'll want the full top set. If you decide that #3 will be more easy and forgiving at half the cost then I can see the benefit in it as a stand alone top and still want one!
If you made #4 you could have the 1/2 cab option with this correct?
Put me in line for whatever you decide. Big smile
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:47pm
Dang..... you miss a day looking at the forum and you get 50th place in line for a top.

I want a #4......

This will put an end to my wife's ideas about making tops. I was just about to show her the thread where you made yours Jpet to see if it was something she thought she could do.

Maybe now she will just get the cap attachment for her machine so she can make CFFC caps or something like that (LOL).

All a pipe dream I suppose.

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

This will put an end to my wife's ideas about making tops. I was just about to show her the thread where you made yours Jpet to see if it was something she thought she could do.

Mike,  Does your wife want to go into business making tops?  Maybe we could meet and I could help set you up.

This feedback is exciting but I'm getting a little scared.  I don't know If I can handle all this work.  I've been here before.  The way it looks the options would be Reedikinis and #4s.

Making #4 would be fine but that's more than $200.  Lots of fasteners and they are time consuming.  You should also have the horizontal rods for #4.  They are not necessary, but would be better.  I also have a jeep project of my own to do so I'm going to be taking breaks here and there unless you guys want to restore my MB for me.

I just don't want to let anybody down.

Originally posted by johnnybravo johnnybravo wrote:

Any chance for a one piece top that would use the M38 bows but with the Arch in the back panel?.....
Yes, I think this would be rather easy.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 3:32pm

"This feedback is exciting but I'm getting a little scared.  I don't know If I can handle all this work.  I've been here before.  The way it looks the options would be Reedikinis and #4s.

Making #4 would be fine but that's more than $200.  Lots of fasteners and they are time consuming.  You should also have the horizontal rods for #4.  They are not necessary, but would be better.  I also have a jeep project of my own to do so I'm going to be taking breaks here and there unless you guys want to restore my MB for me."

I just don't want to let anybody down.
  Jpet I think we all understand were you are coming from and understand that the #4 will cost more but it would be worth it in the long run so you could add to it in the future and not end up with two different tops. I say make then at your leisure and we will survive as it is stated from the beginning that this is not your full time job and you do have a Life and Jeeps to play with.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 3:34pm
OK how do you get the quoted parts in the pretty little box.
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>