Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Pattsy's Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 2:06pm
i think he has disc on all four..correct?
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 2:10pm
I followed outliers method on the g503. Just Google "outlier disc brake conversion". I may need to add an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear wheels, I want to do some skid stops in snow of loose gravel to get my front wheels to stop a fraction of a second before the rear. Someone on the page made a YouTube video about it...

As per outliers instructions I removed the residual pressure valve from the mc prior to installation so the brakes don't drag.

I'm running stock wheels, I think 16 x 5.5, I only had clearance issues with the rear passenger caliper lightly rubbing on the wheel. I used an angle grinder to take off a hair both on the caliper (pictured above) and inside of the wheel. Using 1/2" plate to make my adapters made it so I didn't have ad spacers in between the calipers and the adapters.

'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

i think he has disc on all four..correct?

Yep, though in retrospect I wish I'd done the fronts first, then added the rears if needed to save on time and expense.

If anyone has any questions or wants me to email them the drawing for the brackets I made, PM me and I'll shoot you my phone number.
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 5:00pm
Made some progress in the last few weeks. Made a bumper from some channel iron. I didn't want it to look too bubbafied so I took some extra time on it. I cut the 45 degree ends on a band saw then went to the CNC. I used a corner rounding end mill on the corners to make it look more like the original stamped bumper. I had to mill out some pockets to fit the frame horns because of the inner taper of the c-channel.

All in all I'm quite pleased.

My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 5:08pm
I also finished the windshield for now. The neighboring shop to mine does sand blasting and powder coating so  I had them put my frames in. I debated on even using them they were so rotten and full of holes. I patched them up the best I could and painted them with rustoleum professional Sand color. I'm not going for a full restoration, more of a revival to get it back on the road and trail. If its too perfect I wont want to mess it up in the bushes. 

I had the local glass shop cut some Lexan panes for me. I may put the real thing in in the future but this should fool the cops for a while. I don't have a good pic of the whole windshield but here is one I took of some spacers I made to replace the missing lollipop hinges.

And here's one of the inner frame before I took it apart.

My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 5:13pm
Oh and I also had to remake my alternator bracket. It was really wobbly when the engine was running. I tried to adjust it and ended up just breaking it. I make it when I lived in an apartment with a bench vise, a hand drill and a crappy welder. Now that I have some better equipment I did a better job. Here is before and after.

My Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 5:26pm
Looking good Daniel,
Not many would bother boring the hole for the hand crank in a c-channel bumper. 
Nice work.

I still have some open dates this summer I could come down to do some Sand Hollow wheeling with you. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 5:39pm
Daniel--that Rustoleum top coat looks great. What did you use for thinner, and what ratio?

Keep us posted on how the paint holds up, durability, chip resistance, etc.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 1:03am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Looking good Daniel,
Not many would bother boring the hole for the hand crank in a c-channel bumper. 
Nice work.

I still have some open dates this summer I could come down to do some Sand Hollow wheeling with you. 

Let me know when you're coming down. I'd love to meet up with you! 
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 1:07am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Daniel--that Rustoleum top coat looks great. What did you use for thinner, and what ratio?

Keep us posted on how the paint holds up, durability, chip resistance, etc.

I'll keep you updated. I thinned it with lacquer thinner. The can says not to, but It won't spray from a hvlp spray gun unless I do. It seems to mix and harden ok. I just thinned it till it was runny enough to spray. Probably 70/30. I'll pay more attention when I do the rest of the body.
My Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 4:07am
Isn't the Rustoleum enamel?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 4:13am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Isn't the Rustoleum enamel?

Yes it is.
My Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2018 at 4:19am
I've read of that being done but sure as I try it I'm gonna get some weird reaction that nobody else seems to get.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:19am
Looks great. What a story.  Keep the updates coming!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 2:59am
Bumper and bracket look great.
I wouldn't try the Rustoleum and lacquer thinner on a really hot day.
You might get a crinkle finish, if it drys too fast. Smile
1946 CJ2A 14098
1988YJ7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1988YJ7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 3:42am
Amazing work Capt!
I have my project in the garage, have space heaters and fans to move the air and I can't get much of anything accomplished because life keeps getting in the way. Reading builds like yours and Berreta Jeep give me inspiration.

Matt Miller

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 1988YJ7 1988YJ7 wrote:

Amazing work Capt!
I have my project in the garage, have space heaters and fans to move the air and I can't get much of anything accomplished because life keeps getting in the way. Reading builds like yours and Berreta Jeep give me inspiration.

Thanks!, I haven't done much to it lately. Installed some turning signals. I ran out of gas the last two times I took it out (didn't check before I left) so next up is a jerry can/spare tire rack for the back.
My Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415