Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carb running rich + flooding cold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb running rich + flooding cold
    Posted: 24 July 2021 at 9:37pm
I’m having some carb issues (Solex), and am wondering what my next step should be.

The symptoms:
  • It floods when starting from cold. Not frequently, but enough to be annoying. And always at exactly the wrong time (like tonight). When it happens, I can literally see gas leaking out of the bottom of the carb. I don’t think I’ve flooded it when the engine is warm.
  • Recently noticed some kind of black … residue? … or something on the carb itself. Photo below (sideways, somehow).
  • It smells like it runs rich. It just smells like gas all the time. MPG is suffering, as well. This is my first and only experience with a CJ3A, so I’m not sure how it compares to others.
I’m not sure where the best place is to start. Any suggestions?

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 12:19am
I suggest getting rid of the Solex.

But if you must keep it, the Solex carb needs a fuel pressure regulator to run well on an L134 engine.  This Carb allows 5-6lbs of fuel pressure. This is too much...and probably why it runs too rich and floods. Adjusting the regulator to 1.5 - 2 lbs of pressure should help it run better.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 12:55am
I had some problems with the Solex that resulted in fuel dripping on to the manifold. It was in the same area you photographed. I tightened up all the screws but it did not stop. I looked at the diaphragm inside and could not find any damage or tears. I was about to order a new diaphragm when I decided to look at it once more. The diaphragm was held together with two brass plates and a screw. I tightened the screw and the leak stopped.

Micah 

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 6:15am
Solex carburetors do not like much more than two PSI of fuel pressure.  Any more & this pressure overrides the needle & seat valve, causing flooding. Basically your symptoms. The stock pump puts out about 5 PSI.

If you do not have a pressure regulator between the fuel pump & the Solex, put one in & set it to 1.5 PSI.

The Solex will work for a while with 5 PSI fuel pressure, but when the needle & seat wear a bit, they fail in this way.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 11:20am
Ok, sounds like it’s time to add a fuel pressure regulator (while trying to find a Carter replacement)! Great advice. 

Are there any preferred regulators that I should grab?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:06pm
I have used ones I bought at NAPA. Any FLAPS, (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store), should have one. I have no clue as to the brands, none of them has failed yet.

For a known good carburetor, contact ScoutPilot @ oldjeepcarbs.com . He test runs all of his carbs on his own Jeep. When you get it, it should run with little to no adjustments. Basically it will be "Plug & Play". 

I have no clue as to which way is cheaper, but if it is close, I would go with ScoutPilot.
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

I have used ones I bought at NAPA. Any FLAPS, (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store), should have one. I have no clue as to the brands, none of them has failed yet.

For a known good carburetor, contact ScoutPilot @ oldjeepcarbs.com . He test runs all of his carbs on his own Jeep. When you get it, it should run with little to no adjustments. Basically it will be "Plug & Play". 

I have no clue as to which way is cheaper, but if it is close, I would go with ScoutPilot.

Thanks for the help!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 9:29pm
I highly recommend the Holley 1-4 psi pressure regulator. I have more then 150,000 miles on one I put in a 67 Mustang my wife used to drive 85 miles a day commuting. With not the tiniest bit of trouble or need to fiddle with it once set.

I have used Holley Red fuel pumps and their pressure regulators on 4-5 different cars and trucks over the last 40 years and never had a failure. I have a Holley Red pump and 1-4 regulator in CHUG. And expect my grand kids to not have to worry about them in the future.

Edited by Mark W. - 25 July 2021 at 9:32pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I highly recommend the Holley 1-4 psi pressure regulator. I have more then 150,000 miles on one I put in a 67 Mustang my wife used to drive 85 miles a day commuting. With not the tiniest bit of trouble or need to fiddle with it once set.

I have used Holley Red fuel pumps and their pressure regulators on 4-5 different cars and trucks over the last 40 years and never had a failure. I have a Holley Red pump and 1-4 regulator in CHUG. And expect my grand kids to not have to worry about them in the future.

Just ordered one for pickup in the morning. Will put that on and report back. Thank you!
jeffclark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffclark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 9:15pm
Got the regulator on this afternoon, and it’s working! Doesn’t smell like gas when I drive, and I swear it starts and drives a little better (probably just in my mind). Hopefully it keeps the flooding away, too.

Thanks again for your help Mark, Cpt, Steelyard and athawk!

Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply