Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cargo Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cargo Carrier
    Posted: 07 July 2021 at 8:32pm
A few days ago I got a receiver hitch cargo carrier and rigged it up on my CJ2A. The intent was to allow me to carry more camping gear for a weekend trail ride. But I wasn't satisfied with it sticking out the back so much and blocking my tail lights. 

So I took it apart and started over.

The receiver hitch part was removed. Then a framework was built with 3/4" square steel tube, similar to stilts to mount it above the jeep's cargo area. It uses the rear soft top pockets, and bolts to the wheelwells and cab. It is rock solid. It is just above the rear window, so I still have a clear view out the back. I still need to play around with the best way to pack it.  

I should explain that I'm an aging, disabled vet with two back surgeries behind me. I don't sleep on hard ground anymore. I use a cot and other comforts. I also use an old school canvas tent with heavy wooden poles. All this adds up to more gear than the average guy might take. By the time I'm fully packed I'll have the jeep bed filled and a few things inside the cab too. I love the half cab, but it divides the cargo area about 1/3 inside, 2/3rd outside. This makes it more difficult to pack large items. 

I can now carry a lot more gear. No more overhang clearance issues and the tail lights are unobstructed. Its kind of a Bubba project, but I think it will work nicely for my needs.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 9:37pm
....Thumbs Up....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 10:08pm
That is so awesome, I really like the look and function!
Thanks for sharing Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 11:14pm
Wow  . .  very nice!    I would guess everything will stay cleaner up away from the road.

Love that campsite photo!!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 5:50am
Yes, definately cleaner. I just need to watch out for low hanging branches Big smile

Dr. B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 9:49pm
Great job Steve. ClapThat should keep things up out of the dust also. Better get your patent out on it before someone steals your idea.
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Dr. B Dr. B wrote:

Better get your patent out on it before someone steals your idea.

Too late for that.  But great job.  You could use that for a base for a small fold out canopy also.
And that was indeed a 50" rated trail----

I used to strap camping gear across my roll bar to get it up out of the bed.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 11:36am
I just happen to have a small, white canvas fly that would work well with it. Maybe I'll test rig it this weekend.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 1:39pm
I really like this idea Steve. Thanks for posting.

Ratz, yet another project to contemplate...
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply