Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell phone holder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cell phone holder
    Posted: 25 July 2020 at 11:43am
I've been wanting a cell phone holder that positions the phone so I can see Google maps or Wayz to follow directions. But I didn't want to drill any holes in the jeep. I came up with the idea to use a super strong magnet ($5 from Harbor Freight) and a tripod cell phone holder that attaches with a 1/4"-20 screw. All I really needed to do was make a bracket to connect the magnet to the cell holder. 

The phone holder works great. Its very solid, yet easily removed. Now I can follow directions and hopefully not get lost LOL

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 1:34pm
Now that’s pretty dog gone cool. A high tech Willys !
So the magnet won’t mess up the electronics ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 1:57pm
On my shopping list 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 2:03pm
The magnet has no effect in it. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 4:23pm
Magnetic phone mounts are very common most have a thin metal piece you slip behind your cover or it sticks to the back of the phone then the mount has a magnet in it. I was going to use this type in the Dump truck I drive but the ride is so rough I figured the phone would slide. So I found a mount with a sticky mount for a flat surface and then a clamp that holds the phone. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 6:23pm
I leave modern encumberances home when I jeep. Give me a paper map and the sound of the L134 fan..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

I leave modern encumberances home when I jeep. Give me a paper map and the sound of the L134 fan..

You old curmudgeon. You probably think NDTs are the only way to go too. Tongue
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 7:45pm
I am really surprised at you Chief! Never thought you would join the "modern maddening crowd"!
I'd expect you would find a way to mount this instead!

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 7:50pm
I wish! LOL
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 8:38pm
Does it get in the way of the gun in the gun rack?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

Does it get in the way of the gun in the gun rack?

I can move it lower if I carry a rifle.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 10:52pm
Just received an overpriced "holder" for my Baofeng (sp?) radio. debating punching any more holes in my dash. Would like to be able to hear the radio on the trail. This sounds promising.
calndrman View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calndrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 11:16pm
Where did you get the grab bar?

Bruce
1949 2A
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 12:04am
What grab bar? Only one I saw was a few posts earlier. Looked like the standard Kaiser Willys bar ( I have one and no one finds it useful).
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 2:51am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Hear, hear!  No electronic leash for me!  (I have one but it's really only a camera--it was my nephew's son's too-old-reject.  Smile)
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply