Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019! - Event Date: 15 Sep. 2019 - 20 Sep. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2019 at 9:05pm
I'll probably drive part of it the 13th then arrive on the 14th. Kind of nice being retired so you can go when you want to. I've been working to get the willys and the trailer ready for the trip but it hard to get much done on these hot days. With all the doors open and the fans running I can keep the temp down to about a 100 in my shop.       
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 4:51am
I hear what your saying. Makes me appreciate the weather at FCT. You never know what you will get. See you Saturday. 

Just a reminder to all new FCT attendees keep the speed down on the dirt roads when you get close to the TDR. The neighbors will appreciate the dust being kept to a minimum I’m sure. Slow and easy............

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 10:28pm
Looking forward to it.   Jane found an Air BNB within 7 miles of the TDR so she is happy. Should arrive late Sunday aft to drop off the jeep and trailer.

I am a little concerned about all the work you are doing on the Blue Mule. I have always felt greatly encouraged with the creative breakdowns you plan so that we all feel better about our jeeps.   But I know you have a really good one planned that you are not telling us about yet.

Just ordered new trailer axles with brakes a few days ago to convert my trailer to dual axles. Jeep is running good but have one leaky brake cylinder to replace.

We can talk about the Pioneer Tool Trailer after several beers.

Steve V.
Ames, IA

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2019 at 11:53pm
For all you Texas folks, I promise that the weather here during FCT will be cooler and dryer than what you're enduring now.  But I won't promise that we won't have snow.  

Steve, I'm a lotta concerned about the work I've been doing, and have yet to do, on the Blue Mule.  I was up in the mountains with it last week and the EFI was working poorly.  I can't have it behave the way it did while I'm leading tours.  I need to rely on it, and so I've got to get some serious work done on it.  First thing up is relocate the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold.  I've got an air leak where the pipe meets the manifold and it's causing bad readings from the O2 sensor.   After I look at the error codes, and the data recording page, I'll see what else needs my attention.  

And I've got to look into my overdrive unit.  It locked up last week and now I cannot engage it.  So no overdrive at the moment.  Some times I think maybe I'm too hard on the Blue Mule.  I had that thought as I noticed how many chunks of rubber are missing from my tires.  A result of driving over rough rocks.  But I enjoy seeing new trails, and need to check on the trails I plan to use, and all of that is within the job description of a Jeep.  So toughen up Blue Mule.  I'll take care of you, but you got a job to do.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 1:11am
I know it not likely your case but I was out West in May and my overdrive wouldn't engage. Got home to WV and looked underneath and couldn't see any linkage issues. Took the trans cover off to check there. While the cover was off the overdrive would shift easily. Put the cover back on and it locked up again. Took the bolts out and found that with one of them out it worked and with the bolt in it didn't. Put a shorter bolt in and it has been working fine with a lot of use. Sometimes it is something easy.

Who knows, worth a try...
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 1:14am
[QUOTE=m38mike] For all you Texas folks, I promise that the weather here during FCT will be cooler and dryer than what you're enduring now.  But I won't promise that we won't have snow.  

The rain and snow is all just part of the adventure. I would suggest though, that folks be rigged up for it.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 4:32am
Mike, Are you sure you weren't looking at my tires. I don't think there is a knob that hasn't got a chunck out of it on any of my tires. I may have to get new tires for Joey this fall. I don't think he will know how to act with new parts on him!  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 1:53pm
3A Steve, I hope the fix for me is just that simple. Thanks for the suggestion. 

47 Deuce Alpha, I agree, folks should be prepared for the foul weather.  Having some kind of top for their Jeep, even if it's just a bikini top is a very good idea.  The fall rains here in the mountains feels like melting icicles, and sometimes comes with hail.  And having a good rain coat or poncho along can make a huge difference between staying warm and dry, or getting hypothermia.  I watch the weather every day of FCT and will alert folks at the drivers meeting if there is a chance of rain during the day.  Also if you're camping at TDR, make sure your tent or trailer are waterproof.  Check them with a garden hose spray before you come.  You don't want to come back off the trail rides to find your sleeping bag soaked.

Mike, if you don't have chunks missing from your tires, you aren't driving on rocky trails.  Smooth trails won't take the rubber chunks off, but the rougher trails will.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 4:38pm
Mike, has the overdrive been removed and re-installed since the last color tour?

That sure sounds like the snap ring came out.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Mike, has the overdrive been removed and re-installed since the last color tour?

That sure sounds like the snap ring came out.

Yes, we changed tranny's a month ago (T90C out, T90A in), and put a new snap ring and washer in when we did the change.  I'm looking to change back to the T90C in a week or two.  We'll pull the overdrive and see what's what at that time.  Until then it's got me locked out.  I can't move the shifter from the out position. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Johnnygeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnygeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 3:01am
Hello Mike,
Due to some minor health issues I will be needing a procedure that will take 2-3 days of hospital time.  An opening has become available that will let me get it performed this year rather than after the 1st of next.  Of course it is right at CFFC and I will not be able to attend.  I am sorry that this has come at such short notice and I hope that someone will be able to fill my slot.
This is a real disappointment for me as I was really looking forward to seeing everyone.  I was even spurred on to put all new brakes on my trailer, add a rooftop air conditioner and finish up some needed maintenance on "Sara".
I know you will all have a great time and wish everyone safe trails.
Keep calm and Willys on,
John G Herman
Johnnygeep@gmail.com

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 12:56pm
John, thanks for letting me know and I hope that all goes well with your procedure.  We hope to see you here next year.  Good luck, God bless, and you should be "Keepin' Jeepin'!!"
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 3:22am
https://www.newser.com/story/279376/
A hunter has survived a cougar attack in Colorado by stabbing the animal in the face.
Makes you kind of think when you're up in that high country!
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 4:00am
A Colorado hunter survived a mountain lion attack by doing everything right when fighting back against the animal, Parks and Wildlife officials said.  The hunter was scouting for elk around 9 p.m. at the Big Horn Park area northwest of Denver on August 10 when the mountain lion attacked him, Sky Hi News reported.

The hunter was backing away after spotting the animal when he tripped and the mountain lion attacked. The hunter managed to stab the animal in the face with a pocketknife and was able to get free. The mountain lion then ran off.  The hunter reportedly only suffered minor injuries.

Early the next morning, Colorado Parks and Wildlife authorities tracked the mountain lion down using hounds. The mountain lion, a young adult male, reacted aggressively to the officials and tried to fight with the hounds, Sky Hi News reported. Authorities were able to kill it.  A necropsy was performed, revealing the mountain lion only had grass in its stomach, meaning it was likely hungry at the time of the attack.

Fortunately, we're not likely to experience a cougar attack because we're travelling in a big pack.  I don't recall anyone seeing a cougar on a tour, but I'm sure a cougar has seen us.  We do lots of traveling through cougar country.  Animals we have seen include deer, elk, bear, antelope, bighorn sheep, coyote, skunk, porcupine, badger, squirrel, chipmunk, marmot, and pika.  

So bring a snack so you don't end up dead because you're hungry.

Edited by m38mike - 22 Aug. 2019 at 10:24am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 4:51am
Good one Mike, I like the way you think.   Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2019 at 12:42am
We pulled the transmission and transfer case out today.  Found the problem with the overdrive.  The linkage outside had come apart and wedged between the case and the floor.  We reconnected it and it shifts fine.  We'll take a peak inside just to be sure, but I think we solved my OD problem.  

I've been watching the weather and the fire danger ratings.  The weather is getting dryer and the fire danger ratings are climbing up.  I had hoped we'd be able to have a campfire at TDR but if this trend continues then the county will have a ban on open fire before FCT.  So if you want a fire, plan on a propane fire pit.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 1:55am
Nancy and I did some Jeeping today into Taylor Park.  We wanted to see what condition Cottonwood Pass and the road to Taylor Reservoir was in.  Here we are at the top of the pass.  Really smooth new road up the west side.  Now to find out what the east side is like.

Here is a photo of the east side.  It too is smooth and nicely paved.  Still lots of turns and curves so it inspires the sports car driver in all of us.  It's not striped yet on the east side.  They are still paving the top two miles.  But it should be done by FCT time.  This will provide us with a fast and smooth way to get into or out of Taylor park, and the many great Jeep trails that Ron knows about there.  

Well, you can't visit Taylor Park and not go to Frenchy's restaurant in Tincup during the summer.  So that's where we headed for some coffee and pie. 

Best place in town for a fruit pie and coffee!!  So we verified that Cottonwood Pass will be open for our use this FCT.  And it'll be faster and smoother than ever before.  This will help save time for Ron on the trip over to Taylor Park, or on the way back.  And really make it easier to recover the Jeeps that get broken on his arduous adventures.  One detail taken care of.  One hundred more to go. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2019 at 2:19am
Mike, Glad to hear your overdrive problem wasn't a serious one. I decided that the slop in my brake and clutch pedals had gotten far too bad so I rebuilt the whole assembly. Now I understand why all the videos and pics of the job are taken with the tub off. It would have made the task so much easier. However now everything works great so all is well.  Mike 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 28>