Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2020! - Event Date: 20 Sep. 2020 - 26 Sep. 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Thats what I like about you Kate, what ever it takes Wink

Miss Kate gives great hugs-Annie and Muley know this for sure and for certain..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 4:31am
Mike, you are such a wonderful person for doing this each year!  Thank you!
I am hoping to host Mike and his wife from Pennsylvania and Dee from Texas.  I'll let them know these details ASAP.

P.S., how is the pond project?  Need a hand?
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 12:52pm
Muley, don't be going soft on my sister now.  She's got a backbone of ornery and I'm nervous about how she's gonna express it this year.  She always comes up with something, that's for certain. 

Lew, I'm sad to say the pond project didn't go far at all last year.  I spent too much time travelling, Jeeping, and repairing Jeeps to do much with the pond.  I have higher hopes for this year.  Once I get the bulldozer and the tractor running again, if you want to come play in the sand, you'd be welcome.  Right now the liner you provided is under 6 inches of logs and a foot of snow.  It's not going anywhere.

As I think about our schedule of tours for this year, one of the new things we did last year that I might want to repeat is the Sunday afternoon "newby" class for new folks to FCT.  I'd like to hear from anyone who joined us last year to know if that class had any value for you.  I'd like to get some feedback, either here in this thread, or through a private message.  We tried to make the class interesting and helpful by covering topics that could help someone new to Jeeping in the mountains.  I guess I need to ask for evaluations right after the class, or at the end of the FCT week instead of months later.  But if you thought it helped you enjoy your time at FCT, or you thought it was a waste of time, I'd like to know so I can adjust accordingly.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 1:53pm
Mike. OK our registration is going in the mail Monday.  I got the new radio and am anxious to try it out in the mountains so if I get drawn and you need me for tailgunner we will se how it works.  Mike
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 3:46pm
Mike, last year was my first CFCT and also my first time driving my stock jeep off road in the mountains. I did the mountain driving tutorial with you and I learned some key things that I needed to know about safely driving on the steep mountains grades. Not only the safety for myself and jeep, but also the safety of others around me. I would definitely recomend the continuation of the program.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2020 at 5:43pm
Mike,   I think the sunday class is an excellent activity to continue. If we had it when we started jeeping I am sure we would have been a lot better off. I am sure some of us have forgotten some of the trial and error mistakes we made over the years. Classes like this would have been a great help back then!    Mike 
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 2:11am
For what its worth I think that the "TDR 4 WD Off-road Academy" is a good idea for new folks that have never driven in mountains. The TDR hill of terror will teach you how to stay off the clutch. I would vote to keep it and the only improvement would be to have some "Cheerleaders". So, athawk11 and Oilly bring your pom pom's
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 8:46am
I have hoorays and booo's to award to the first registration to arrive.  Hooray to Hackney for getting the first registration in.  Boooo for managing to misspell my name despite it being plainly spelled out on the bottom of the form.  For obviously not paying close attention to the instructions, and especially because we have been friends for many years, I may have to add penalty pointSSS to their random number and we'll see how close - or far - they come to the cutoff number for attending.  Tsk - tsk.  

In other news, I thank everyone so far who has responded to my request for feedback on the Sunday afternoon "TDR 4WD Off-Road Academy" here and through PM's or emails.  Your collective encouragement is causing me to include it in this year's schedule.  But I would like to hear any criticism's you may have so I can improve the program.  To use a sport's analogy, I can't believe that we hit a home run on our first time at bat. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 2:02pm
OK mike, so did he misspell your first or last name???
 On another note. One thing you might want to try in the class is having your students stop half way up the hill and get going again without backing up so as not to hit the jeep who is a little bit close behind. I have seen some close calls when we stop on the trail and someone has to stop on a substantial hill. Maybe with showing the techniques for doing this we can avoid possible problems on the trail. As you know a dash throttle control and / or a good emergency brake used properly will help greately for this. just a thought.    Mike
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

On another note. One thing you might want to try in the class is having your students stop half way up the hill and get going again without backing up so as not to hit the jeep who is a little bit close behind. I have seen some close calls when we stop on the trail and someone has to stop on a substantial hill. Maybe with showing the techniques for doing this we can avoid possible problems on the trail. As you know a dash throttle control and / or a good emergency brake used properly will help greately for this. just a thought.    Mike

This sounds like a good idea, but maybe some instruction on keeping a proper trail interval should also be included. Following too close is an obvious hazard to both parties, and an avoidable one with some education.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 3:41pm
Mike,
See that is spelled correctly!
Was it my spelling or unreadable writing?Cry
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

On another note. One thing you might want to try in the class is having your students stop half way up the hill and get going again without backing up so as not to hit the jeep who is a little bit close behind. I have seen some close calls when we stop on the trail and someone has to stop on a substantial hill. Maybe with showing the techniques for doing this we can avoid possible problems on the trail. As you know a dash throttle control and / or a good emergency brake used properly will help greately for this. just a thought.    Mike

This sounds like a good idea, but maybe some instruction on keeping a proper trail interval should also be included. Following too close is an obvious hazard to both parties, and an avoidable one with some education.

Sometimes I have a bad habit of doing that myself until the dusty roads remind me to "BACK OFF"
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 5:54pm
Mike, one of the things that I took from a few years ago was the art of starting from a stop when pointed uphill. I would say start from a complete stop while you are on a climb up the TDR hill of terror! I still learn from folks every year on "Old Indian Tricks" (no offence to Ms. Warren)such as parking on a steep hill (going up or down). Oh yes, and don't spit into the wind!

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Mike,
See that is spelled correctly!
Was it my spelling or unreadable writing?Cry

Terry, there is only one K in my name and it's in my first name.  No K in Picard. Ouch

Now about those penalty points, for a donation we may be able to reduce or eliminate them. Wink 

Congratulations again for being the first form on file for this year.  Clap
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

We did try to remember to talk about intervals when taking the drivers thru our down-and-up-hill drive.  But not all drivers got that message, or some may forget the message when entranced with the majesty of the moment on the side of a mountain.  Dust seems to be the best reminder to keep some spacing, but being a quarter mile apart creates other problems.  Stopping and starting on that steep slope would be a good learning opportunity.  I'm a little concerned with how much we might tear up the ground by having each vehicle do that.  I may go test out the concept so I can get a feel for the potential damage we could do to my hill.  My driveway hill might be a better training site.  Not so intimidating and far more stable and forgiving of spinning tires. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 9:28pm
M. Picard,
Did the 4x4 lesson include double clutch downshift to first, or tricks for getting in and out of low range while moving?
P.S. Note the spelling, I practiced a hundred times on scrap paper.Tongue
BOULDER 48 2A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 5:01am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

M. Picard,
Did the 4x4 lesson include double clutch downshift to first, or tricks for getting in and out of low range while moving?
P.S. Note the spelling, I practiced a hundred times on scrap paper.Tongue

T. Hackney,
No it did not, to both questions.

P.S. I'm proud you learned it correctly.  Only took me a couple of tries in Kindergarten. Embarrassed  LOL
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 8:05pm
When I'm on a hill (up or down), and I'm in low range, I just leave the jeep in gear and start it. No brake, no clutch, no rolling away of any kind. Right Jolly Rodger? ... of course my jeep starts better than some.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>