Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2020! - Event Date: 20 Sep. 2020 - 26 Sep. 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 8:13pm
But would you do that with General Willys??  Probably not.  

Terry, You're ideas are good ones. "double clutch downshift to first, or tricks for getting in and out of low range while moving".   Those are both skills that can help a driver on the tours here in the mountains.  Do you have those skills?  Would you be willing to step in as our adjunct professor of the gear shifts and teach those classes on Sunday afternoon?  It might save you some penalty points.  Wink

Edited by m38mike - 07 Jan. 2020 at 8:24pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Jolly Roger taught me. he is stock.

Edited by jpet - 07 Jan. 2020 at 8:54pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 9:30pm
X2, has worked for me for 30years with carbed Dauntless 

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 11:26pm
Marking my calendar!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

X2, has worked for me for 30years with carbed Dauntless

Fltfndr

I've done that rarely to start on flat ground, just cuz it's different and it works.  But to do that going up a hill with all the weight of your Jeep pushing on those little tiny teeth on the starter and flywheel, are you worried that you'll crack or break some of those teeth?? Confused Apparently not since you continue to do it.  I know that the starter has incredible torque, and once your engine fires up it takes over with lots of torque as well.  - - - Are you sure you guys aren't responsible for all the broken ring gears with teeth that are missing that we find occasionally?? Shocked

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 12:48pm
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!

I've been having problems with an F-head engine in a 3A that I'm using to plow snow.  It's been running worse and worse for the last month.  Very low power, running very rich, plugs fouling, alternator not charging.  So I put it in the shop to go through it and fix it up.  Installed a rebuilt carb, a rebuilt distributor, a rebuilt alternator.  Set the timing and cranked it.  No fire.  Used a timing light to check power to the plugs.  Cranked again.  No fire.  Adjusted the timing.  Cranked again and again.  No fire. Poured gas down the carb throat.  Cranked again and again.  No fire.  Finally took a plug out and clamped it to a bolt to ground it.  Cranked again.  No fire.  Put the plug back in, and cranked again.  KAABOOOM!!!

All the gas going into the engine found it's way down the exhaust pipe and into the muffler.  One of the plugs fired and sent fire down the pipe.  When it got to the muffler there were enough fumes to explode the muffler.  It was LOUD!!!  My ears were ringing for almost an hour.  First time I've ever blown up a muffler.  

I should have pulled a plug and tested it for spark much much sooner than I did.  I thought the problem had to be in the timing.  Nothing wrong with the timing.  When I replaced all four plugs with new plugs, the engine fired up like it was summer time.  BTW the rebuilt alternator is working fine, getting 14 volts out of it. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 1:32pm
That had to be one heck of a KAABOOM to lay the muffler open like that! Did it distort the rear floor of the jeep? It wouldn't surprise me!! 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 2:06pm
...always wondered what the inside of a muffler looked like...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

[QUOTE=Fltfndr]X2, has worked for me for 30years with carbed Dauntless

Fltfndr

I've done that rarely to start on flat ground, just cuz it's different and it works.  But to do that going up a hill with all the weight of your Jeep pushing on those little tiny teeth on the starter and flywheel, are you worried that you'll crack or break some of those teeth?? Confused Apparently not since you continue to do it.  I know that the starter has incredible torque, and once your engine fires up it takes over with lots of torque as well.  - - - Are you sure you guys aren't responsible for all the broken ring gears with teeth that are missing that we find occasionally?? Shocked

Mike, I have to agree with you. I have only used that method once when I was in the middle of nowhere and broke my clutch linkage. I was pointed up hill and rolling back to start was not an option. Yes it will work for a while or in an emergency but it just isn't worth it if you have a choice, when you consider the possible cost in time and parts to repair!    Mike 
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by mriceflinter mriceflinter wrote:

That had to be one heck of a KAABOOM to lay the muffler open like that! Did it distort the rear floor of the jeep? It wouldn't surprise me!! 

Heck of a can opener,
As a high schooler, I thought backfires were cool, so would shut off ignition while rolling along at 30 mph on the 56 Chevy and quickly turn it back on. Left it off too long once, more gas in the exhaust, and a muffler similar to yours. Luckily my Dad didn't have a clue how it happened.AngryOuch

Yes, Mike, "IF" I get the lottery and practice up to refresh my old memory I would be happy to help out with the shifty business. NOTE: There is no Quid Pro Quo intended.Big smile
BOULDER 48 2A
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 5:52pm

I haven't done the "start in gear with the clutch out" trick much because I haven't needed to *.  But I first learned off-road driving from reading magazines back in the '70s.  Granville L. King was a staple (and CJ2a driver) from PV4 magazine and he always recommended starting in gear as a way to "drive elegant."   The goal being to be able to get over obstacles without ever having to slip the clutch.

Since then I've also read that with older Jeeps the "approved" method for dealing with stalling the engine when you hit an obstacle is to start it in gear.  The added torque of the starter helps the starting engine chug up over the rock.

Again, that's just book learnin', so take it for what it's worth.

* The main reason I haven't needed to start in gear is that I have a hand throttle.  Most of the time I will set the idle up so I can hold my foot on the brake while i let the clutch out.  As the engine rpms start to drop I start to let off the brake.  It's pretty easy to get rolling the right direction like that.

Of course lower gears help too.  When I was driving my stock '85 F-250 up Mt. Antero it was nice being able to do that same thing without a hand throttle due to the 6.69 first gear of the NP435 and ~2.6 low range of the transfer case.  REALLY NICE given that on most of the switchbacks I had my back tires at the very edge of the trail with my rear bumper hanging over thousands of feet of nothing! Rolling back was NOT an option there!  (Getting a fullsize pickup turned around on those switchbacks was exciting!)
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 6:39pm
I'll have to try starting in gear. Back to thoughts about the driving training course, you may want to add a short tutorial on lowering tire pressure. Noticed when I went to lower my tire pressure at the last CFT that I had gained 5 psi over my 25 psi 600 ft level at home. Also filled up a spare gas can later in Teluride. Didn't touch it until I got back. It had caved in an inch or two at 600 ft above sea level. We flat landers don't always think about the effects of high altitude.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 9:38pm
How many have smelled the burning clutches of the mostly rental jeeps in Ouray.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

How many have smelled the burning clutches of the mostly rental jeeps in Ouray.

That is probably because very few drivers know how to drive stick anymore. The Army gave up in the late 70's and started specifying all new equipment to be equipped with automatic transmissions because they couldn't keep clutches in trucks.

Just sayin'   
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2020 at 10:32pm
“Also filled up a spare gas can later in Teluride. Didn't touch it until I got back. It had caved in an inch or two at 600 ft above sea level. We flat landers don't always think about the effects of high altitude.”

We don’t think about it much either, we just live with it every day. As the younkers say, “it is what it is”.  If I came to your area with a sealed can, I would get the same surprise. 

On a related note: While crossing a high mountain pass with a Suburban loaded with Boy Scouts, something in the back went “POP!”. “What are guys doing?” I asked, and they naturally said “Nothing”. “Sure.”   POP!  “Alright you guys!” POP! 
“The potato chips are exploding!”Shocked  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 3:35am
I'll be filling out and sending in my registration later this week. I had a blast in 2019 and hope to get picked again for 2020.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Yes, Mike, "IF" I get the lottery and practice up to refresh my old memory I would be happy to help out with the shifty business. NOTE: There is no Quid Pro Quo intended.Big smile

Thanks Terry.  I really appreciate that.  To make this event work well I need a little help from lots of folks.  As for the lottery, you have a 100% chance of being in the lottery! Big smile  Odds of winning one of the 50 slots will depend on the number of registrations.  But if I did the lottery today, you'd be a lucky winner for sure. Clap  And speaking of registrations, since you started the flow they've been arriving 2-3 a day.  I'll announce names for registrations received on Sundays for the week before. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2020 at 4:12pm
The good news (for my wife and me) is that our daughter is getting married this year!  :)

The bad news for us is that she chose Sep 25 to tie the knot, near Dayton Ohio.  :(

No FCT registration this year for MB "Lt Bob" and the teardrop, dangit.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>