Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2021! - Event Date: 19 Sep. 2021 - 24 Sep. 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 29>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokesjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2021 at 4:23pm
When will the trail schedule be posted.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 6:05am
Originally posted by bokesjeep bokesjeep wrote:

When will the trail schedule be posted.

I'm glad you asked that.  I'm meeting or talking with my guides one last time this week to confirm the routes and the days in our tentative schedule.  I expect to post the plan by this coming weekend, and maybe even sooner.  Our draft plan includes one ride Sunday, 3 rides Monday, and 2 rides each day Tuesday through Friday. Then one ride on Saturday.  Each ride will take between 1/2 to one full day to complete.  I will give a description and a time estimate for each ride following the schedule.  Each guest should plan on participating in one ride per day.  

My preparations are starting to get busy.  I've got boxes of stuff coming in from supporting vendors.  I'm talking with contractors for support.  I'm trying to get the shop ready for the event, and still taking care of some projects I have that are taking me too long.  And I'm trying to find time between projects, appointments, and thunderstorms to go do some recons on the new runs that we're including for this year.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
bokesjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokesjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 1:49pm
Thanks for your response Mike. I just couldn’t wait any longer. I am getting super excited
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2021 at 6:11am
FCT  Draft  Schedule  September  2021

Sunday, 19th, 1:00pm, Thirsty Dirt Ranch Mountain Driving Academy
2:30pm, Newby check ride, Brown's Creek Area

Monday, 20, 8:30am, Driver's Meeting in front of the shop.
8:50, Ron leads to Granite trails
8:55, Bruce leads to Buffalo Peaks
9:00, Mike leads to Bald Mountain

Tuesday, 21,  8:00, Driver's meeting for Ron's ride
8:10, Ron leads 3 pass route over Hancock Pass, Napoleon 
   Pass, and Tincup Pass.
8:30, Driver's meeting for Mike's ride
8:45, Mike leads 2 lake route to Northfork Reservoir, Billings Lake
and Pride of the West Mine

Wednesday, 22, 8:30, Driver's meeting
8:55, Bruce leads Turret Road 182
9:00, Mike leads CORE work project

Thursday, 23, 8:30, Driver's meeting
8:55, Ron leads Grizzly Lake and/or Iron Chest
9:00, Jpet leads 4-mile area loop

Friday, 24, 8:30, Driver's meeting
8:55, Ron leads Aspen Ridge South group
9:00, Bruce leads Aspen Ridge North group
12:00, Both groups meet for lunch

Saturday, 25, 9:00, Driver's meeting
9:10, Bruce leads Saint Elmo ghost town tour

Tour descriptions:
Newby check ride, Brown's Creek area, easy ride through open forest to make sure
all newby Jeeps are tuned and ready for the rest of the week. Elevations up
to 9,000 feet.
Granite trails. Getting explored this weekend (July 3-4). More later.
Buffalo Peaks. Moderate difficulty. Low range for many areas. Road goes to edge of
Buffalo Peaks Wilderness. Old cabins and mines along route. Elevations to
10,500 feet.
Bald mountain. Moderate trail on shelf road up Bald Mountain. Short day. Part of
route up a sandy stream bed. Grand view of Arkansas River valley from top.
Elevations to 9,600 feet.
3 Pass Route. Difficult trail over basketball size rocks over Hancock Pass, Napoleon
Pass has cobbles, Tincup pass has cobbles and bedrock. Very scenic vistas.
Elevations to 12,400 feet.
2 Lake route. Moderate trail with steep pitches up to FS campground at North Fork
Reservoir, then above treeline to Billings Lake and Pride of the West Mine.
Elevations to 12,000 feet.
Turret Road 182. Moderate trail over rock ridges and sandy stream beds. Great views
across Arkansas River valley toward the 14,000 foot mountains. Elevations
to 9,750 feet.
CORE (Colorado Off Road Enterprise) work project. Trail maintenance work to keep
trails in good condition. Specific project has not been set yet.
Grizzly Lake/Iron Chest. Difficult trails climbing up a rock face or over basketball and
larger boulders. Beautiful scenery and good fishing in Grizzly lake. Elevations
to 11,750 feet.
4-Mile Area Loop. Easy to moderate trails with steep pitches, whoop-de-doos,
and grand vistas of 14,000 foot mountains. Elevations to 10,000 feet.
Aspen Ridge trails. Easy to moderate trails with scenic vistas and drives thru
many aspen groves. Old cabins and mines along route. Visit to a ghost town
called Futurity. Coordinated lunch stop for entire FCT group. Elevations to
10,000 feet.
Saint Elmo ghost town. Easy route on County and Forest Service roads. Scenic
views along Chalk Creek canyon. 1800's graveyard. Waterfalls. General store.
Chipmunks that will eat seeds from your hand or lap. Elevation to 10,000 feet.
Townsite has one room schoolhouse, 1800's buildings.

As I post these elevations for each ride, remember that the Thirsty Dirt Ranch where
we start each day is at 8,020 feet elevation. Buena Vista is at 8,200 elevation. Salida
is at 7,000 feet elevation.

Easy trails can be driven in 2wd in a Jeep. Moderate trails require 4wd and often
low range to negotiate steep grades or rugged road beds. Little to no risk of damage
to Jeeps. Difficult trails require low range 4wd. There is a risk of vehicle damage
on these routes, but careful driving will mitigate that risk.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
madbrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madbrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 12:07am
That is an awesome trail list. Do we book trails ahead of the event or at the event?
45 MB
56 Willys Fruit Salad
64 Kaiser CJ3B

My Videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/madbritwillys56/videos
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2021 at 7:29am
To answer your question, You select the ride you want to go on the day of the ride.  In between now and then you may learn something about a certain tour that will make you absolutely want to go there, or absolutely not want to be there at all.  And since there is no charge for any tour, you could also show up and not take any tour.  

BTW, I just picked up a flyer for the Mile High Jeep Club annual event for this summer.  They are charging $500 per Jeep with two occupants for the week, $100 for each additional occupant.  And they are going to some of the same places we are.  

And speaking of going places, we put together a quick crew to go explore some trails near the town of Granite.  I think we found a great lunch spot if you're looking for really grand views.  Here it is:

We were at 12,550 feet elevation with a light breeze blowing.  The mountains in the background are about 50 miles away according to the Peakfinder App that Ron and I have on our phones.  The mountaintop directly above the rear tire of the closest Jeep is Mount Elbert, Colorado's highest peak.  So this is an example of the some of the scenic vistas that await your arrival.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 7:59am
It's happened again.  I just had another primary withdraw from the FCT.  So later this morning I'll dip back into the Alternate pool to see if I can get another Jeep to attend.  This is why it's so important to me to keep a good Alternate list for the event.  And why I appreciate so much, having alternates who are willing to wait and see if their name will come up.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 8:34pm
Thank you so much for the call today to fill the vacancy. It made my day in ways that I cannot describe. I'm looking forward to going and meeting the people that are going. 
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

On the assumption that 50 jeeps is the viable limit you could draw 60 numbers and not have any alternates based on past experience that 10 jeeps will drop out. Worst case, you will have all 60 show up. Most likely, you will be just above or just below 50. Don't know about anyone else but being able to plan the jeeping year as early as possible works out best for me. If you don't make the list you can plan something else or just wait for next year.

Mike, I think this is an excellent suggestion.  You wouldn't have to mess at all with filling spots from folks who couldn't make the trip.  We all know there will always be guys who need to drop out for many good reasons.  If you account for this going in, as 3A Steve proposes, your job is done.  The selection of the 60 jeeps will dwindle down to 50+- merely by natural selection over the course of the summer and all parties involved will know if they are going from the beginning.  I like this idea!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 3:44am
Tom I appreciate your thoughts on this idea.  But let me share a few perspectives that I'm sure will add in a dimension or two that I don't see in your discussion.  But first I need to wander into a philosophical point.  My life has been filled with successes.  Whether under God's plan for me, or by sheer accident, I've been blessed with many successful events in my life.  But when I look back at some of those, in fact the biggest and best of my successes, and this is where the Army Colonel in me comes out, the best of my successful events have all had an objective that I have worked toward achieving.  FCT is one of my big successful events.  And it has an objective.   My objective for FCT is to provide a venue for using old Jeeps on trail rides for as many folks as I feel I can manage comfortably. 

Think about this for a moment.  "... as many folks as I feel I can manage comfortably."  This is where the 50 Jeep limit comes from.  That is the limit of my "comfortable management".  This is what demands that I maintain an alternate list.  That I provide a venue for as many folks as I can manage.  With your suggested coarse of action, I could end up with 59 Jeeps, more than I'm comfortable with.  There will ALWAYS be at least one that drops out.  Remember that we're not working with my capability here, but my comfort level.  I am capable of handling perhaps 70 Jeeps, maybe even more.  But I'm not comfortable there.  I am comfortable at 50.  

Let me touch for a moment on the alternate list.  This is a tool to help me achieve my objective.  It helps me offer this experience to those not originally selected in the primary 50.  As primary folks drop out, the alternate list is where I go to fill vacancies.  But it's the experience of doing that filling that makes it worth the effort to create and maintain it.  Please take a look again at 54willysjeep's comments above.  "It made my day in ways that I cannot describe."  If you could but hear the joy that the alternates have shared with me once they find out the purpose of my phone call to them.  That joy that they express fills my heart with happiness.  I won't get that under your plan.  I only get the disappointment of seeing folks drop of the list.  I don't get the pleasure of offering a replacement the chance they have been dreaming of.  

So I will continue to save and maintain an alternate list.  It supports my objective for FCT.  It gives me a chance to fill my heart with happiness.  Over and over again.  It provides a result that is more than worth the effort.  But I do appreciate your ideas for making my work easier.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 11:48am
Well said, Mike. Thank you...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

6x6m38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6x6m38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 9:08pm
Hey Mike, I sent you an email with my updated phone number. It looks like I'm next up on the list, and would hate to miss out over a fluke! Thank you sir and God Bless!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 4:54am
Originally posted by 6x6m38 6x6m38 wrote:

Hey Mike, I sent you an email with my updated phone number. It looks like I'm next up on the list, and would hate to miss out over a fluke! Thank you sir and God Bless!

Tanner, thanks for sending me the correction in your phone number.  And thanks for the challenge of determining who I was communicating with.  You see, your name does not appear either in this message above, or in your email.  And the email does not come from "6x6m38".  So I could not be sure who I was talking to, without doing some detective work.  After all, you would not want me to change a phone number for somebody else's registration.  So I went into your 6x6m38 profile to see if you listed your name.  Good thing that you did.  And I went into my electronic files to match your "buyfixflip" email name to the registration form.  Only then did I have the connection that tied those two different pen names to a guy called Tanner.  Now I have the confidence that I am correcting the right form.  Now you have to HOPE that I'll be able to read my poorly handwritten number when it comes time to call you.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 1:46pm
Mike I hope you and Nancy are doing well.  The days are getting shorter and fall is not that far away. Any thing you can say about hats for this year.
Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:06am
  Tom,  Mike has been called to serve on a fire in Wyoming, so he’ll be a bit busy for a while. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:17am
Thanks Bruce.  There is no rush for an answer.   I am glad that he is well enough to work a fire.
Hope you are recovered too.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 9:57pm
Hope our Colorado friends aren't suffering from smoke.   The Klamath Bootleg fire near us is bad, but we live west of it, thank goodness.   My condolences to my Oregon friends who face more threats from it.

Thank you Mike!   Thank you Bruce!   Thank you Ron!

FCT is just plain epic.   :)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 11:56am
Yes, I'm in northern Wyoming on the Crater Ridge fire.  We've built a Forward Operating Base near the Medicine Wheel in the Bighorn National Forest.  Our Fire hasn't been doing much for the last couple of days due to some heavy thunderstorms that came through.  Some of the smart guys in fire behavior think we may have enough control over the fire that we get to turn the fire back over to the Forest by next weekend.  As far as smoke goes, it's a rare day that we don't have some shading our view and turning the sun red at sunrise.  

Tom, I can tell you that I've ordered the hats for this year.  New year, new color.  I'll have a few for sale at FCT.  I'm guessing you may want one.  

I've got the portable toilets under contract already.  And I'm talking with the county about trash disposal using one of their dumpsters instead of my little trash trailer.  Next on my list is my permit from the Forest Service.  They have a new District Ranger, someone I don't know yet, so I may have to go in to the office to explain what we do and how we do it.  The County Fire Marshall says no open fires, so we'll have to use propane fires or none at all.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 29>